IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Need some advice - IS250 6mt vs. A4 2.0TQ S-Line

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 07:44 AM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All ot the replys above are good opinions.
So let me add 2 more factors that have not been mentioned.

Audi Quartro technology is front wheel drive biased, when slip is detected, it will distribute the torque to the rear wheels. IS AWD is RWD biased. So most of the time it will be rear drive and when traction is needed, it will transfer the torque to the front wheels.

Audi quartro technology is one of the best AWD system outhere in the market. The one that come close to it, based on a lot of AWD article reviews, is Subaru's symerical AWD. Just remember the fact that not AWD are created equals.

BUT, some ppl (like me) prefered AWD with read wheel drive bias regardless.
I came from roadsters (Miata, Z3) and will never enjoy front wheel drive cars again, ever. .
The driving dynamic of RWD car at the curve roads and mountains is just very fun, to me.
I choose IS' AWD anytime over Audi's quartro because of this.

I owned the B5 Audi A4 quartro (year 1996). It was an enjoyable car (minus reliability of fourse).
Audi has great community (audiworld.com) and the VAG ppl are really enthusiast car owners.
So both car will have equally good support forums standing behind them.

You'll not be wrong to lease an AUDI, in my opinion.
Just dont fall in love with it and buy it at the end of the lease.
It is a nightmare of reliability and depreciation .
Good luck.

Last edited by SugarRush; 08-03-06 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-03-06, 07:54 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like modyfying cars ... go for the Audi A4. Much more parts available at very reasonable pricing.
Old 08-03-06, 10:20 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
I'd go with the Audi. The s-line is really a nice package, even if it's a pretty spendy add-on. If you do go that route, consider leasing, as their lease rates are awfully good these days. I mean like really, really hard-to-pass-up good. I'd be in an A4 Quattro S-line right now if I could've just found one in my area. Everything here in FL is FWD w/ the slush-o-matic transmission.

I disagree with your comment on the Lexus interior being more refined. If there's one thing that Audi does better than most anyone, it's interiors.

Dude, I know this is a Lexus forum, but go with the A4 Quattro - S.
i hear ya 100% - i saw the lease rates and my jaw dropped to the floor. i mean they are practically giving the cars away on lease. and to add the fact that the A4's are going at or near invoice is even better (unlike the IS where they are discounting a few thousand off a 5400+ markup on my loaded 250 config). i mean it obviously says something about their demand and Audi's need to entice customers to switch brands and give them a try, but if they've got loyal lexus fans like me thinking about it, i'd say they are doing a damn good job

i think the lexus interior is just a little more refined in the sense that the materials are more rich looking. the leather is more supple, the plastics seem nicer (smoother edges, more finished feel). the Audi is definitely much better than BMW and MB, but something about the red lights and the hard plastics are a little less appealing to me. even so, it still looks very well put together
Old 08-03-06, 10:52 AM
rooster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SugarRush
All ot the replys above are good opinions.
So let me add 2 more factors that have not been mentioned.

Audi Quartro technology is front wheel drive biased, when slip is detected, it will distribute the torque to the rear wheels. IS AWD is RWD biased. So most of the time it will be rear drive and when traction is needed, it will transfer the torque to the front wheels.

Audi quartro technology is one of the best AWD system outhere in the market. The one that come close to it, based on a lot of AWD article reviews, is Subaru's symerical AWD. Just remember the fact that not AWD are created equals.

BUT, some ppl (like me) prefered AWD with read wheel drive bias regardless.
I came from roadsters (Miata, Z3) and will never enjoy front wheel drive cars again, ever. .
The driving dynamic of RWD car at the curve roads and mountains is just very fun, to me.
I choose IS' AWD anytime over Audi's quartro because of this.
You are wrong on the awd, the audi awd is 50/50 at all times, and will change when a wheel spin, the front wheel drive bias is only on the A3 and TT, beacuse they are useing a different setup then the rest of the line up.
Old 08-03-06, 11:43 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

That was my understanding too, 50/50 split. I'd have to do some research, but I seem to remember the Quattro's engine being mounted longitudinally too, which will help with weight distribution. Somewhat. It's still front-heavy.
Old 08-03-06, 12:18 PM
sailing217
Pole Position

I have the Manual 250. Only thing better in the 250 is the interior, gadgets, reliability.

I'd lean towards the A4 especially if leasing for 2 years. check out www.goapr.com for the chip upgrade
Old 08-03-06, 04:40 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rooster
You are wrong on the awd, the audi awd is 50/50 at all times, and will change when a wheel spin, the front wheel drive bias is only on the A3 and TT, beacuse they are useing a different setup then the rest of the line up.
I stand corrected. Rooster is right.
Sorry for the confusion.
Quattro in Audi A4's, is 50:50 split between front and read axle.
But it is indeed 'nose heavy' and hence drive differently than RWD vehicles which enthusiats look for. A good article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro
Old 08-04-06, 12:23 AM
Itsuki_23
Rookie

Audi has really bad weight distribution, it's AWD is based on front wheel drive chassis (like all other VAG Group cars), which is also used by previous generation VW Passat. Engine is mounted way in front of the front axle which will be hard on front suspension and brakes when driving hard. Also you will notice torque steer. Car enthusiasts in Europe don't really consider Audi a luxury brand, because it shares all its platforms(suspension details and design), engines, geraboxes and many of interior details with VW, Skoda and Seat. Which all ofcourse are part of VAG Group.
Old 08-04-06, 04:20 AM
vlkcheng
Driver School Candidate

Both are nice cars. Audi would have a much better gearbox. Lexus manual gearbox sux. Quality, I'll say both cars are excellent in that department. TFSI has no turbo lag at all. I think peak torque is available from 1800rpm and then the curve is flat until 5000rpm. So engine wise, Audi has more character, Lexus is more refine. Lexus has better weight distribution hence better handling. Audi has a bigger boot but interior space is about the same. Style is an individual thing so I can't comment. Another thing is A4 is due for a new car in 2 years time whereas Lexus IS is a pretty new model. It all comes down to what's more important for you.
Old 08-04-06, 05:37 AM
jezza
Driver

The A4 is nose heavy because Audi slings the motor as far forward as they can. The upside is more cabin space.

That's not to say it's a bad driving car, because it's not. You can get away with pretty poor weight management these days with good chassis tuning. The porsche 911 is a good example... it's got the engine in about the last place you'd ever want it, but they've so over engineered the chassis to deal with it, it's a fantastic handling car (with a lot of character to boot).
Old 08-04-06, 07:18 AM
k04
Driver School Candidate

I was considering a A4 2.0t and a S4 when I got my IS350. I just got out of a 2002 A4 1.8t that I put a k04, coilovers, brakes, etc... on great car I miss it, much more fun to drive then the IS but the IS is much faster so my comparo was S4 with engine and fun to boot, but if I was looking at a 250 i would of gone 2.0t, $500 gets you nice horsepower with a chip, add exhaust, a front mount, redo the suspension minor brakes mods and you have a fun car. the audi is all buisness and I think its a great car never had dealer problems, parts are not as steep as the lexus. if you like to drive hard now and then the A4 is the way to go, if you don't car the lexus is more comfortable I am currently looking into picking up a used Boxster S for myself since I miss having a fun car to drive. Go audi enjoy quattro drop a bit of money into it and I think you will enjoy it more as a drivers car. this again is just my 2 cents
Old 08-04-06, 10:54 AM
CRB
Lead Lap

If you are in it for the long haul (5-10 years or more)get the Lexus. Even the Audi faithful have a hard time owning them for too long out of warranty.

if you are just leasing, I think you should just let your feelings for the cars themselves decide. Nothing wrong with the Audi, it is a real nice package. As someone mentioned, use and discard at the end of the lease, do not fall in love with it . Audi actually does some nice lease deals too.