IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Spoiler Or No Spoiler?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 10:11 AM
jt4you
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler Or No Spoiler?!

Hey guys, im going to order an '07. I'm debating whether or not to get a spoiler, any thoughts?
Old 08-03-06, 10:15 AM
conekiller
Lead Lap

The car definitely doesn't NEED it...I could have just as easily left it off. On the other hand, I'm quite happy I had it put on (plus the dealer threw it in free)

Old 08-03-06, 10:15 AM
Jay1977
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jt4you
Hey guys, im going to order an '07. I'm debating whether or not to get a spoiler, any thoughts?
JUST DO IT! but why not just order it and install it urself? I heard that u do not need to
drill any hole or anything (3M tape) If u get it from the dealership, theyll charge u $$$
Old 08-03-06, 10:18 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

i think its a lot cleaner without the spoiler. A lot easier to wax too
Old 08-03-06, 10:31 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I don't have one, I do think it looks cleaner w/out - I've heard some owners have unequal gaps b/w the spoiler and trunk lid. That said, if the dealer is willing to install one for free, I would've gone for it - it's a $355 option. One other thought, how do you close the trunk lid ? - I usually put my hand right above the lexus logo to shut the trunk - but that's where the spoiler would be ???
Old 08-03-06, 10:32 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

I actually think it makes the car look a bit narrower.
I guess because it adds a little height to the trunk lid.
I once saw several ISs side-by-side at the dealer and the cars with the spoiler looked narrower.
Just my perception.

Last edited by SolaraToIS; 08-03-06 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-03-06, 10:40 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

im planning to get an 07, but not with a spoiler, looks better normal IMO
Old 08-03-06, 11:08 AM
Lexustom
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=. One other thought, how do you close the trunk lid ? - I usually put my hand right above the lexus logo to shut the trunk - but that's where the spoiler would be ???[/QUOTE]

Just use the handle Lexus put inside the trunk to pull it down. A quick, brisk pull and the lid is closed. Keeps my hands/fingers from touching the outside and putting on smudges, fingerprints, etc.

And after much thought I decided that the car looks great w/o the spoiler. Just MO.
Old 08-03-06, 11:08 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I'd get one either..
Old 08-03-06, 11:09 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with all you non spolier types. Now if I were to get a G35 coupe...then without question. It really adds to the character of that car. But 2is IMO looks smoother without it...too small...not needed. If it were thrown on for free I still would not want it...so certainly would not pay or negotiate on this point.

If it were not a standard accessory and most did not have it, I'm sure someone would call it rice.

Where does the term rice/ricer come from or originate. Everytime I use it like i'm a true enthusiats that likes only worthwhile mods, a few of my freinds ask me what it means or where did I hear the term. I think it's funny and have found it used on these forums a lot.
Old 08-03-06, 11:20 AM
flyfl1pguy

I say get it. I wish I would have gotten it. .
Old 08-03-06, 11:45 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sirCharles
Agree with all you non spolier types. Now if I were to get a G35 coupe...then without question. It really adds to the character of that car. But 2is IMO looks smoother without it...too small...not needed. If it were thrown on for free I still would not want it...so certainly would not pay or negotiate on this point.

If it were not a standard accessory and most did not have it, I'm sure someone would call it rice.

Where does the term rice/ricer come from or originate. Everytime I use it like i'm a true enthusiats that likes only worthwhile mods, a few of my freinds ask me what it means or where did I hear the term. I think it's funny and have found it used on these forums a lot.
Well, I have a G35 coupe without a spoiler. I still believe both autos look a bit classier without one, which leads me to your question:

As to the origin of the rice term, I believe it was first used to describe cheap, non-performing cars on which some youngsters, historically Asian males, stuck stickers and other adornments to make it look like a muscle car. Picture a 15 year old Honda Civic with a 4-banger on which the owner placed a spoiler, fake hood scoop, cheap body kit and various manufacturer’s stickers suggesting non-existent performance mods, then you have your stereotypical rice rocket.
Old 08-03-06, 11:46 AM
OutlawsX
Lead Lap

After finalizing the price of the car, I said throw in the wing and I'm set... which they did, and no additional cost. So yes to wing!
Old 08-03-06, 11:52 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

car look nekked w/o it
Old 08-03-06, 11:56 AM
G35TOIS350
Lexus Test Driver

get it but try not to pay dealer price man. way too much $ for what you get back. have them toss that in for free as part of the deal. thats what i did and saved over $600
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Spoiler Or No Spoiler?!