IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fujita F5 IS HERE!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 03:25 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I don't know if anyone is aware of this or not.

From 026004.pdf, page AT-21 in the FSM, to test the transmission for electrical or mechanical problems.

Clearly this locks the gearbox in 4th gear, and would allow dyno testing from idle to redline. There is a nice little diagram of which wire to disconnect that I can't post here. So, can we stop the discussion about kickdown and move on with real tests unaffected by the electronic transmission controls?
Now that is interesting.
Old 08-09-06, 04:21 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is great, so now we need someone to retry the test....and have AL503 and Caymandive in attendance so they can't claim shenanigans
Old 08-09-06, 04:30 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
That is great, so now we need someone to retry the test....and have AL503 and Caymandive in attendance so they can't claim shenanigans
Dasgalloway seems to have the esteem of the forum members on the other site. I'll live with his results as long as he sticks with accepted and proper procedures.
Old 08-09-06, 04:49 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
I'd love to go, but honestly I trust dasgallow as he seems to be very wise and he is unbiased. He just runs the MYIS store and he pretty much sells all the intakes available for the 2IS. I would never trust a manufacturers claim be it JOEZ, LMS or Fujita, which is why I did my own dyno tests. The JOEZ pipe alone (not even a true intake) just worked out best for me as the factory intake system is already great. Maybe down the road a true CAI will come out and guess what? I'll throw that thing on the dyno as well. I'm a person that loves to see hard data with proven results done in a controlled environment and this is exactly what Dasgalloway is going to provide us.
Old 08-09-06, 06:44 PM
MeTrO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so now suddenly the dyno is accepted??? You guys are so full of crap it is comedy. The best part is, the results will be the same as Fujita's and I'll be able to laugh even harder at "all your knowledge"!! Just like I did when this test was completed.
Old 08-09-06, 07:13 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

/\ /\ /\ Agreed....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ...sorry I started laughing a little early, cause this is gonna be good
Old 08-09-06, 07:37 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MeTrO
so now suddenly the dyno is accepted???
who has accepted what dyno? Neither cayman or I have accepted the fujita.

You guys are so full of crap it is comedy. The best part is, the results will be the same as Fujita's and I'll be able to laugh even harder at "all your knowledge"!! Just like I did when this test was completed.
If you're saying das will find something around 23 rwhp in the midrange, I'm thinking that we'll never find out because he won't test the intakes below 4x00 rpm for the reason mentioned previously.

Have you guys read the thread linked on the other site? Seems like there are more than just cayman and I that think the procedures used were wrong. Why don't you go over there and make fun of them?
Old 08-10-06, 04:29 PM
2SwiFt29
Lexus Test Driver

damn.. forgot to keep an update on this thread.. so what's the outcome? did the dyno testing occur?
Old 08-10-06, 04:31 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

The dyno occured back on page 5 of this thread
Old 08-10-06, 05:23 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

There was a dyno on this thread?
Old 08-15-06, 02:07 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
I'm hoping for a 5-10 lbs full ti dual or single axle back that is fairly quiet and won't sound like rice. That'll shave off 30-35 lbs. right there.
A $100 Hawker / Genisis battery will shave about 30 lbs.
Old 08-15-06, 02:43 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
A $100 Hawker / Genisis battery will shave about 30 lbs.
I was thinking of possibly the Odyssey that's about the same. Lot of G/Z guys using those and I haven't heard any negatives.
Old 08-15-06, 02:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,034 Likes on 2,445 Posts

I'd call that brave with all the electronics required just to gain entry to the car. Sure they're great batteries, but they don't have the kind of reserve you might want for all the gadgets that have to work before you can start the car.
Old 08-15-06, 03:26 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by al503
On another note, these aftermarket intakes usually help on the top end because the theory is that the stocker is too restrictive in the upper RPM range. Unless the Fujita is creating some 'Tornado' like 'Vortex' (LOL!) that lets more air in when none of the intakes should be held back by restriction, the differences in the mid-range should be negligible. That's ~25% more power, which is FI territory, friend. You gotta be stuffing 5 maybe 6 addiitional psi more than the stock intake to get that kind of power.

Finally, heat soak is a real issue with these intakes. While it is true that once you're moving, you'll get enough air to take care of the heat, it doesn't take into consideration where you're forced to sit such as at a stoplight or staging for a run on the track. The engine might cool down by the time your run is over, which will be too little too late.
Have you not seen CAIs that cause "resonant humps" at various RPMs throughout the full RPM range? The Injen (sp?) and AEM CAIs for the Honda S2000 caused 2 of them. One hump was at about 3500 RPMs and the other was at about 6500. These were due to standing waves caused by the characteristic of the pipes themselves (tube length and diameter). The result was sort of an FI effect at RPMs close to those natural resonances. It's kind of like a tuned port in a subwoofer enclosure.

I doubt heat soak on these intake pipes will last for more than a few seconds if you monitor IAT via OBD-II. I wrapped my AEM CAI with Thermotec insulation for this very reason, and it didn't make any measurable difference.
Old 08-15-06, 03:31 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by crzygosu87
oh wait...what about my question about the JoeZ intake and the sound it produces? sry lol

anyone have sound clips por favor? my search escapades on this forum have failed T_T
Here is a bumper-cam video clip I did on the road.

Last edited by Gernby; 08-15-06 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Fujita F5 IS HERE!!