IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fujita F5 IS HERE!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 09:44 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

The truth is, I don't care if the engine dynos 50 hp or 500 hp. What I really car about is how fast the car accelerates, and what the top speed is. With the hood down, no fans blowing on it. Because all the dyno stuff doesn't really mean anything if it doesn't directly relate to accelerating the car faster. Not to mention there are any number of tricks you can use to fool a dyno into showing better numbers. LIke popping the hood open, running the oil 1/2 quart low, using lighter tires and wheels, changing the air pressure in the tires, turning the headlights off (or on), etc, etc, That's all before putting weighting factors in place for air temp, humidity, and altitude.

I'd really like to see this mod make the car go faster, not spin up a fixed mass quicker. Isn't that what we all really want anyway?
I can understand some of the skepticism about a hood being opened, but I don't see the problem with using a fan. After all, when you're moving there is plenty of wind blowing, probably more than a fan would even be able to simulate. Everything else being equal (which it will be during this testing) higher HP/Torque numbers will yield better acceleration, unless you're only making slightly higher PEAK hp but are generally lower in other parts of the RPM range, but the dyno will show the HP/Torque numbers throughout the rev range, so that isn't an issue.
Old 08-06-06, 12:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,033 Likes on 2,445 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon
I can understand some of the skepticism about a hood being opened, but I don't see the problem with using a fan. After all, when you're moving there is plenty of wind blowing, probably more than a fan would even be able to simulate. Everything else being equal (which it will be during this testing) higher HP/Torque numbers will yield better acceleration, unless you're only making slightly higher PEAK hp but are generally lower in other parts of the RPM range, but the dyno will show the HP/Torque numbers throughout the rev range, so that isn't an issue.
I totally get the whole thing. I've done a lot of this stuff before. The problem with the fans and the hood being open is the air in the engine compartment isn't the same temp it will be with the hood down and the car moving. There's about 306 hp worth of heat being blown into the engine compartment at WOT. Basic thermodynamics -1/3 is kinetic energy, 1/3 is heat out the exhaust (which is why turbos work), and 1/3 goes into the cooling system to get shed from the radiator. You can't simulate that on a dyno.

There's no doubt we'll see results, but they'll be what the car does on the dyno.

Anyway - there are three intakes being tested? They cost what each? Any way I could get all three to take to Sac Raceway on a Friday Test n' Tune and do a few runs down the track for mph to determine a real winner?

I'll be happy to post results and send them all back to their manufacturers because I can't afford to run non-CARB approved stuff in SacTown. Anyone who lives here has seen the crack down, and people I know have been pulled over just for wheels and lowered suspension. All my cars pass a hood lift inspection with ease...
Old 08-06-06, 01:17 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Ryan has already stated that he will do dyno pulls with the hood closed as well... So that is no longer an issue.
Old 08-06-06, 03:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by MeTrO
PS. Something tells me our IS's are producing a little less horsepower than the Supra in the video....just a little. But if I see any bowing, I'll definitley post it in the forum
Even stock powered Supras have this problem. One of the magazines had the hood blow open at speed because they didn't get both latches locked when they closed the hood of their test car. It's just really pronounced in that video.

Thanks for putting the effort into this. Even though I'm a skeptic, I know doing this kind of testing is an arduous task, and if I seem unappreciative, I'm not. I know the guys with the dyno could be better served by paying customers, so my hat is off to rt350 for his contribution. Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to the results. Any chance of getting an E.O. number for any of them?
Old 08-06-06, 05:09 PM
rt350
Rookie

A.R.B. application was turned in October 2005 for most of our intake systems. IS350 was turned in already for sure. i have seen an EO take as long as a year. Keep in mind, it has been 10 months and we are still waiting. We received confirmation that the application was received but that ARB is backed up.
Old 08-06-06, 06:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I've been waiting nearly two years for the CARB approved single turbo for my Supra. I know how slow they are.
Old 08-06-06, 09:00 PM
thegrunt
Driver School Candidate

Default Fujita Intake Problem?

I just installed the Fujita intake on my IS350 and now my check engine light comes on followed by VSC lights. The warning lights do eventually go off, but they come right back on after a day or two. I’ve taken it to the local Lexus dealership 3 times, the last two times they told me the computer code says it’s burning too lean. They checked installation and found no problems. The dealer gave me the error code. I have pictures of the install and warning lights. Does any one else have these problems?
Old 08-06-06, 09:39 PM
MeTrO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far, I haven't had any problems at all. I've had mine on for a few days now. When did you start noticing problems?

The VSC light?? Sounds like you might have something else going on.
Old 08-06-06, 09:47 PM
flyfl1pguy

Originally Posted by MeTrO
So far, I haven't had any problems at all. I've had mine on for a few days now. When did you start noticing problems?

The VSC light?? Sounds like you might have something else going on.
Installing the intake wasn't that hard right?
Old 08-06-06, 11:15 PM
JDM IS350
Driver School Candidate

Hey Metro,

how did that Fujita air intake work out for you? I noticed your from the state of Nevada? are you from Las Vegas also? Anyways i was thinkin of picken up a Fujita as well for my is350.

just wondering how it worked out for you?
Old 08-07-06, 07:53 AM
rt350
Rookie

I have never seen anybody get a CEL on an IS350. Email us a photo to info@*****.com attn: R&D. We will take a look right away. We have sold many of these and this is a first.
Old 08-07-06, 08:50 AM
MeTrO
Driver

Originally Posted by JDM IS350
Hey Metro,

how did that Fujita air intake work out for you? I noticed your from the state of Nevada? are you from Las Vegas also? Anyways i was thinkin of picken up a Fujita as well for my is350.

just wondering how it worked out for you?
I love it. It's got a great sound to it and it really seems to add acceleration. Yes, I am in Vegas too.

Fly, it was really easy to install. After I figured out there were two different size clamps (wasted 20 minutes), it only took me about another 20 minutes to install. It would only take me about 15 to do another one.

I'm excited about the dyno results today.....I haven't had any CEL issues, and I have been romping on it pretty good. I would be curious to know what is causing 'thegrunts' problems.....also weird this is the first he's posted about it.
Old 08-07-06, 10:12 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by rt350
I have never seen anybody get a CEL on an IS350. Email us a photo to info@*****.com attn: R&D. We will take a look right away. We have sold many of these and this is a first.
Sounds like an air leak after the MAF. Your Vf (correction factor) needs to be consistently more than +/- 10% to trigger a CEL. I'd bet it's an install problem.
Old 08-07-06, 11:09 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sounds like an air leak after the MAF. Your Vf (correction factor) needs to be consistently more than +/- 10% to trigger a CEL. I'd bet it's an install problem.
Agreed! if any air gets into the tube between the intake manifold and the mass air flow sensor (MAF) that would set a light. If a connector was knocked loose or left loose that too. But other then those 2 options there is no way the intake could cause a code. Either a minor install error or a problem not related to the intake. some things i would check would be the rubber connecting the pipe to the intake manifold for cuts, tears or maybe the bottom rolled over and didnt go over the pipe like the top did. Also chekc the tube for any possible air leaks (crack, pin hole). Check MAS connections and any other connectors or wires near the intake. If none of this helps remove intake but back to stock see if problem is gone or returns. If problem returns leave vechile stock and take back into dealer under warr and have them fix it. If problem doesnt return, have someone look closer at the intake for defects or send intake back for exchange. Most likey its an install problem or a problem not related to the intake.
Old 08-07-06, 11:47 AM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

I think its impossible to quantify intake HP results. You can run the same car on any dyno 5 times and get 5 different numbers +/- 5hp. Swap intakes all day long and you get the same thing.

Also, 2 differnet results from 2 different days with 2 different intakes is laughable, especially when the difference is 5hp.

I think it is also impossible to use timed performance runs to quantify these results. That introduces another 100 or so variables into the equation.

When you are dealing with something that "might" ad so little horsepower, its just impossible (IMO) to proove if it works or not.

Quick Reply: Fujita F5 IS HERE!!