Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the filter on the fujita oil less?
Old 08-07-06, 04:11 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My .02:
In a auto tranny dyno plot, I never look at anything under wherever the engine revs come down to after upshifting for the gear the dyno runs are made. The problem with the data below that point is that you can't be at full throttle or else the tranny would downshift. So, there had to have been some feathering of the throttle around the point you guys are claiming the greatest gains.

For all intents and purposes, we should be concentrating on the plot above, say 4500-5000 rpm, which is where I'm guessing the revs would drop from third to fourth at full throttle. From that point on up, it looks like there aren't any statistically significant differences between any of the intakes.

Last edited by al503; 08-07-06 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-07-06, 04:15 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Should be interesting if you are doing this all on the same day. Can you post the procedures that will be followed for the testing? I did similar testing (LMS, Stock, JoeZ, JoeZ with blitz) but they were all done on different days. My results were from best to worst:

1. JOEZ pipe only 262.99hp and 238.79tq 9000 miles on the stock filter and JOEZ pipe

3. JOEZ with BLITZ drop in 262.46hp and 238.93tq This was our best dyno run out of 6 runs! Stock air filter works well.

4. LMS 257.03hp and 238.91tq This was the best run we got out of 4 runs. 1st three runs were 10hp less than stock. We only got these numbers by adding an additional fan directly aimed at the intake. No better than stock IMHO and definitely louder.

2. Stock 257.76hp and 233.53tq This was my best run of 3.

All of my tests were done with the ECU learned. Driven 100's of miles prior to each intake test. Yes they were all done on different days, but in my conclusion, no intake on the market can be honestly claimed as the best.

Also, how the heck can you get accurate dyno results below 4800rpm!!?? That is just crazy. Unless you found a magic way of locking the gears so they do not up or down shift on full throttle, you can't get an accurate reading below 4800 rpm in 4th gear for the dyno pulls.

I'd say based on all the questionable dyno results and rational reasoning that the intake with the lease amount of ingested warm air would produce the best consistent numbers. That is how intakes have proven themselves over and over again.
Old 08-07-06, 04:24 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
Also, how the heck can you get accurate dyno results below 4800rpm!!?? That is just crazy. Unless you found a magic way of locking the gears so they do not up or down shift on full throttle, you can't get an accurate reading below 4800 rpm in 4th gear for the dyno pulls.
You can't. Read my post above. It's peculiar that a business that specializes in this field doesn't know this.
Old 08-07-06, 04:27 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by integlikew
Is the filter on the fujita oil less?
yes it is

al503, you are correct. The tranny did downshift on many occassions and the runs had to be aborted and redone. I do not know as to the extent of the feathering of the throttle or at what RPM's they decided to go full throttle. Hopefully Ryan comes on here with some details. I'm not going to claim that any intake is better than the next. My main concern was if the Fujita shows a loss like the LMS did on Cayman's dyno runs and it looks like it does not.
Old 08-07-06, 04:35 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ramon
My main concern was if the Fujita shows a loss like the LMS did on Cayman's dyno runs and it looks like it does not.
Agreed. Thanks for taking the time and effort to help the community.
Old 08-07-06, 04:38 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Ramon + Ryan for testing..... im surprised the Fujita did so much better than the LMS ,seeing as how they are so identical
Old 08-07-06, 04:43 PM
rt350
Rookie

First of all, any feathering of the throttle would clearly show on the graph. You would definitely see a dip. Secondly, all tests conducted today were done in 3rd gear and full throttle was achieved by 3000 rpm. 3rd gear was used because the IS holds 3rd much better than 4th gear. It would be called cheating if we did the runs in different gears. You cannot please every skeptic out there. However we did our best and invited all members and made a video of each run. We did the test, open and honestly. Props to the JoeZ for the power it made. If you don't want to believe all of the data after this test, change the channel.
Old 08-07-06, 04:49 PM
rt350
Rookie

Thank you to Ramon for coming to Fujita and putting the car on the dyno. I will do what I can on my end to dyno any product that I buy to help the board. This is a great car but it can always be greater!
Old 08-07-06, 04:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Any chance you could post the a/f graphs? I'll find those as interesting as the power results for sure.
Old 08-07-06, 05:29 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about posting torque specs too? Also whats the deal with most intake being polished and some being black? I dont see black as an option when ordering.
Old 08-07-06, 05:34 PM
MeTrO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys crack me up....the fujita filter was CLEARLY established as the leader in terms of added HP both at the peak and through the midrange. Posting gains as high as 20+ HP over stock....I'm embarassed at some of our members after a manufacturer does a head to head comparison, and a bunch of wannabe's (you know who you are) don't even have the decency or respect to give the product the credit it deserves.

NO ONE on this site has seen this kind of support/customer service from ANY other manufacturer.

The numbers are in. Live with the results. You know that if it had shown a loss, the same wannabe's wouldn't have questioned the numbers at all....they would have said...."see, I told you."

Well, guess what.....I told you so!

PS Thanks Ramon for taking the time to do this test.
Old 08-07-06, 05:38 PM
rt350
Rookie

http://www.*****.com/movies/lexus_dyno.gif Sorry, we forgot to add the torque earlier.

Also, if you are interested in seeing a video, here you go: http://www.*****.com/movies/is350_run.mov
Old 08-07-06, 05:45 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Just curious, but was a brand new stock OEM filter used? Also seems like the Fujita intake got lots of runs compared to baseline and JOEZ, which in my experience would allow the ecu to adjust itself as I noticed on my dyno runs, the more runs done, the better the numbers kept getting. How about sending me all the run files so I can see them on my winpep software and see how things changed with the more runs done?
Old 08-07-06, 06:01 PM
MeTrO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dominant....all the pics I have are posted....it really couldn't get any more simple.

Candy....just our of curiosity....where did you get the fact that the Fujita got "lots" more runs than any other filter?? Sorry Candy....the Fujita is just better....you can review all the data you want and you'll either continue to live in denial...or catch up with me.

I put much more wieght in to dyno's done the same day during the same conditions than done on different days, different conditions, with "hundreds of miles prior to each test." Your results are gospel, but these are suspicious??

It's ok....they put out a good product....let's just give them the credit they deserve and thank them for their time.

Quick Reply: Fujita F5 IS HERE!!