IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fujita F5 IS HERE!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 06:12 AM
dnszoom
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
There won't be any noticible differences in the 1/4 mile with any of these intakes as the power they all make is about the same. Biggest thing that will affect 1/4 mile times are weight ratios, temperature and traction at this point. So it seems to me people will buy their intakes for now based on sound preference, type of filter (oil based or not), look and personal preference in manufacturer.
Agreed, it's a personal preference.

The dyno/track result sets aren't statistically significant so for now, make your choice based on features, sound, looks, availability and price point.
Old 08-08-06, 06:27 AM
cliverman
Driver

Wow! What a freakin' waste of time. Someone please lock this thread and start up a new one about the 330/335 debate. I wonder if they have a tru CAI?
Old 08-08-06, 08:32 AM
rt350
Rookie

Fujita background: I founded Injen Technology in 1998. I resigned as Vice President in March of 2005. Built Fujita Air starting April of 2005. I still own all of my shares of Injen Technology to this date. (No affiliation, just own Injen) We advertise in two page spreads in Super Street, TPR, C16, Turbo, and some trade magazines. We are a SEMA Member, attended SEMA IAS in 2005 and have a booth at SEMA 2006 Las Vegas. We sponsor Ed Bergenholtz, VinceTiaga, Nadine Toyoda, Ali Afshar, Julie Stepan, and Loan Nguyen. They race in NHRA Sport Compact and NDRA Events. We are a major sponsor of Nopi Nationals, we just received a free project vehicle from Toyota Corporate, our vehicle is sponsored by Tein, Falken, Volk, Greddy, and Sony. Our products are sold through Nopi, Pro-Motion Distributing,Arrow Speed Warehouse, CarDomain Network, to name a few. We build private label intakes for Saturn, Cadillac, BMW M5, 645, and Solstice. We include toll free numbers with our prouducts for any assistance, we ship out same day, we include allen keys, machined screws, and usa made t-bolt clamps in our kits.
Bottom line, the IS350 kit is Fujita's top 5 seller. Fraud? Sales figures? We believe in our product and back it up. I have made it a point to include the very best materials in each kit. Do you know the t-bolt is 7x more expensive that a linear clamp? The HoseTechniques silicone hose we use is by Dupont and contains Nomex, same material used on firemen uniforms. We have a promotion with NOS Energy drinks and include one with every kit. We also want to say thank you and include a hat and duffel bag. (The duffel bag was going to contain the pipe, filter, and hardware in the beginning but most pipes ended up being too long. That is why a duffel bag is included)
Research before you speak. I could see this kind of behavior on some other forums but for a lexus forum to have some members this off the chart is sad. I have spoken to many manufactures in the past and this is why they hate forums. Forums are to educate. I got so much help doing my dvd hack from such nice people. I learned about what tint not to use. I shared my Project Mu install. I helped a lot knowing what offset to use, tire pressure sensor problems, etc. I want help.I think some members want help.But when you come on here and people talk crap that I am fraud, I take that personally. Closing my membership here. Thanks to those that help others out though. You've helped me a lot as well. Out.
Old 08-08-06, 08:47 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I just got back from lunch and I did notice that 3rd gear the downshift won't occur above 4000 rpm. Anything below 4000, the car will downshift each and every time. Posting claims of 20+hp under the 4000 rpm mark is what seems to be bothering everyone including myself. If this claim wasn't made I don't think the thread would have turned into this. Also, why wasn't a new or fairly new OEM filter used for the tests to make things fair? 13,000 miles on an OEM filter is "probably" enough mileage to make the test null IMHO.

Last edited by caymandive; 08-08-06 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-08-06, 09:02 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Anything below 4000, the car will downshift each and every time. Posting claims of 20+hp under the 4000 rpm mark is what seems to be bothering everyone including myself. If this claim wasn't made I don't think the thread would have turned into this.
exactamundo!
Old 08-08-06, 09:49 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rt350
Testing went well. Ramon's vehicle had a really nice baseline of 260.61 whp. Like I said before, Fujita's intake makes midrange power, a lot of it. The JoeZ did better than expected. I would say on average the JoeZ was able to do 10 more hp (than stock ) in the midrange while Fujita had as high as about 23 more hp over stock. From 2700 rpm - 4200 rpm is the Fujita sweet spot.

I just wanted to duck in here and say Hello to everyone!!

Ryan - Thanks for taking the time to Re-Test our intakes.. This will add to our collection of independent Dyno tests of the IS350 w/different intakes & owners.
This shows that your Co. is serious when it comes to making / developing intakes and sharing results directly with our Community.

There will always be skeptics in General about various things and I have learned to accept that reality.

I hope to meet you soon!!!

Thanks again to ALL who put time and effort into this comparison.

Also, as I reminder to ALL I did not develop / release the "Joe Z Intake Pipe" as claiming to be the Best Intake or the Best Performance for the 2006 IS.
Or for that matter to go head to head with the few other companies that offer intakes on the market already, for the ISx50

The major Goal behind the intake pipe is to achieve a Better Flow of Air and Improve and Optimize the OEM design... As I have successfully done for a few years, with the IS300.

Thank You

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 08-08-06 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added "in General"
Old 08-08-06, 10:04 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I just got back from lunch and I did notice that 3rd gear the downshift won't occur above 4000 rpm. Anything below 4000, the car will downshift each and every time. Posting claims of 20+hp under the 4000 rpm mark is what seems to be bothering everyone including myself. If this claim wasn't made I don't think the thread would have turned into this. Also, why wasn't a new or fairly new OEM filter used for the tests to make things fair? 13,000 miles on an OEM filter is "probably" enough mileage to make the test null IMHO.
With a baseline of 260+ in 80+ degree weather with VERY little air blowing from the fan used, it seems that using the old filter did not hurt in any way and using a new would would have been neglagable. To put it in perspective, my baseline was slighly higher than yours with more humidity, higher temps and less air being blown at the front of the car.

I know we have two seperate cars that dyno'd on two seperate dyno's, but c'mon now... The filter is neglagable and you know it. You have dyno'd your car with both used, new and aftermaket filters and the runs were virtually the same.

EDIT: As far as 3rd gear and rpm's are concerned, I would agree that it is a valid concern if indeed there is a downshift below 4k and that anyting below that should be ignored... I'm curious about it as well so i'll try it out on my way home today. But the filter argument IMO is baseless.

Last edited by Ramon; 08-08-06 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-08-06, 10:43 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
There will always be skeptics about various things and I have learned to accept that reality.
"There will always be skeptics" is a cop out. Instead of just repeating what rt350's position on this, how about one (or both) of you guys actually explaining why the 'skeptics' are wrong?

I'll lay it out for you guys.
1. If you floor it at 3000 rpm in third, the car will invariably downshift into second gear for max acceleration. Therefore, any readings taken at this level can't be done with a full throttle, which will lead to inconsistent fuel delivery (feathering the throttle), which will in turn affect the plot.

Instead of the cop out, how about, something like "You're mistaken and here's why..."

2. At midrange RPM's, none of the intakes are going to be stressed or pushed for capacity. The engine will get all the air it needs. Where most aftermarket intakes shine (if they do at all) is in the upper RPM range where the OEM intake may not have enough flow/capacity. How are you guys trying to make us believe that we'll get a ~25% increase in HP from an intake when 25% would be a good result from a super/turbo charger? No intake is going to be able to cram an additional 5-7 PSI into the cylinder. This defies the laws of physics.

Again, a "You're mistaken and here's why..." would be appreciated. Otherwise, I take issue with your labeling those of us with concrete and cogent questions/arguments as "skeptics." I could be wrong in all of this. All I ask for are simple answers.
Old 08-08-06, 11:37 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Cooler intake air ultimately makes more power. It's proven over and over again. They didn't come up with the Society of Automotive Engineers correction factor formula for nothing.

Until there is an actual technical dyno test done where engine temperatures and inlet air temperatures are measured to achieve consistent data we can't accuratly say how the intakes perform against each other. Oh well, it's actually not a big deal if you look at the whole picture. We are talking less than 5hp differences, which won't make a difference at the track or on a dyno. Get an intake if you feel money burning in your pockets or want that extra sound.
Old 08-08-06, 12:04 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rt350
Fujita background: I founded Injen Technology in 1998. I resigned as Vice President in March of 2005. Built Fujita Air starting April of 2005. I still own all of my shares of Injen Technology to this date. (No affiliation, just own Injen) We advertise in two page spreads in Super Street, TPR, C16, Turbo, and some trade magazines. We are a SEMA Member, attended SEMA IAS in 2005 and have a booth at SEMA 2006 Las Vegas. We sponsor Ed Bergenholtz, VinceTiaga, Nadine Toyoda, Ali Afshar, Julie Stepan, and Loan Nguyen. They race in NHRA Sport Compact and NDRA Events. We are a major sponsor of Nopi Nationals, we just received a free project vehicle from Toyota Corporate, our vehicle is sponsored by Tein, Falken, Volk, Greddy, and Sony. Our products are sold through Nopi, Pro-Motion Distributing,Arrow Speed Warehouse, CarDomain Network, to name a few. We build private label intakes for Saturn, Cadillac, BMW M5, 645, and Solstice. We include toll free numbers with our prouducts for any assistance, we ship out same day, we include allen keys, machined screws, and usa made t-bolt clamps in our kits.
Bottom line, the IS350 kit is Fujita's top 5 seller. Fraud? Sales figures? We believe in our product and back it up. I have made it a point to include the very best materials in each kit. Do you know the t-bolt is 7x more expensive that a linear clamp? The HoseTechniques silicone hose we use is by Dupont and contains Nomex, same material used on firemen uniforms. We have a promotion with NOS Energy drinks and include one with every kit. We also want to say thank you and include a hat and duffel bag. (The duffel bag was going to contain the pipe, filter, and hardware in the beginning but most pipes ended up being too long. That is why a duffel bag is included)
Research before you speak. I could see this kind of behavior on some other forums but for a lexus forum to have some members this off the chart is sad. I have spoken to many manufactures in the past and this is why they hate forums. Forums are to educate. I got so much help doing my dvd hack from such nice people. I learned about what tint not to use. I shared my Project Mu install. I helped a lot knowing what offset to use, tire pressure sensor problems, etc. I want help.I think some members want help.But when you come on here and people talk crap that I am fraud, I take that personally. Closing my membership here. Thanks to those that help others out though. You've helped me a lot as well. Out.
Indeed Fujita is perhaps successfull in business and making money but not performance intakes. Where is the 20HP they advertised. The dyno was no where close.

Wait for K&N or perhaps Injen.
But Fujita....HAH HAH No frickin' way!
Old 08-08-06, 12:11 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Smile

This actually made me laugh at work when I read it!!

Ok - I'll make it quick and painless..

1)My post wasn't directed towards you or anyone in particular, I was responding to Ryan.
I added the words "in General" to my original post so that no one else gets confused.
I was basically referring to how "most car forums" and its members, again "in General," treat other members / vendors regarding, threads, opinions, products, tests, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...

2) I am not copping out of anything so again you are mistaken.

3) I didn't post any technical opinion on these findings nor do I intend to.
I did my R&D.. I had it independently tested several times.
Then it was independently tested (not by my request) on a different Coast and Time Zone with virtually identical results.

You and I have actually communicated via PM's in the past and we have discussed my pipe design and how & why it works.

Other than that I really don't have much to add, besides if I personally felt or found that my intake had ZERO EFFECT on the 2006 IS, I wouldn't have released it.
Plain & Simple.

Thank You Again to All!!

Joe Z

Originally Posted by al503
"There will always be skeptics" is a cop out. Instead of just repeating what rt350's position on this, how about one (or both) of you guys actually explaining why the 'skeptics' are wrong?

I'll lay it out for you guys.
1. If you floor it at 3000 rpm in third, the car will invariably downshift into second gear for max acceleration. Therefore, any readings taken at this level can't be done with a full throttle, which will lead to inconsistent fuel delivery (feathering the throttle), which will in turn affect the plot.

Instead of the cop out, how about, something like "You're mistaken and here's why..."

2. At midrange RPM's, none of the intakes are going to be stressed or pushed for capacity. The engine will get all the air it needs. Where most aftermarket intakes shine (if they do at all) is in the upper RPM range where the OEM intake may not have enough flow/capacity. How are you guys trying to make us believe that we'll get a ~25% increase in HP from an intake when 25% would be a good result from a super/turbo charger? No intake is going to be able to cram an additional 5-7 PSI into the cylinder. This defies the laws of physics.

Again, a "You're mistaken and here's why..." would be appreciated. Otherwise, I take issue with your labeling those of us with concrete and cogent questions/arguments as "skeptics." I could be wrong in all of this. All I ask for are simple answers.
Old 08-08-06, 12:29 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

3) I didn't post any technical opinion on these findings nor do I intend to.
That's because you can't justify the findings either. It is indeed as simple as that.

As a businessperson who is in this market and has apparently done extensive research here, I would think that you may even have a duty to all of your customers to weigh in on this.

Regardless, I think that there is enough information for the members to make their own decision.

]This will add to our collection of independent Dyno tests of the IS350 w/different intakes & owners.
BTW, how can you call this independent when you're dynoing on the manufacturer's dyno, with the manufacturer's operator?

Last edited by al503; 08-08-06 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-08-06, 01:28 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by al503
That's because you can't justify the findings either. It is indeed as simple as that.

As a businessperson who is in this market and has apparently done extensive research here, I would think that you may even have a duty to all of your customers to weigh in on this.

Regardless, I think that there is enough information for the members to make their own decision.

BTW, how can you call this independent when you're dynoing on the manufacturer's dyno, with the manufacturer's operator?
I can not comment on the finding's because I simply wasn't there and I don't have the actual data or raw data in front of me...
That is the reason and nothing else...

There is really NO need for you to make any assumptions as to why I should or shouldn't post my techincal opinion. Are you truly serious? You don't even know me.

If I didn't run the actual Dyno Test of my intake (Which I have never done!!)...
Then I would say my intake was again "idependently Dyno tested"

You always seem to twist words and define information as you feel fit, the truth remains as such:
If neither of these intakes suit your needs then please do not buy them..

Wait for the next Best Thing... It should be out in a few weeks....

Sincerely,
Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 08-08-06 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-08-06, 01:56 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

I can not comment on the finding's because I simply wasn't there and I don't have the actual data or raw data in front of me...
That is the reason and nothing else...
The plot is here. The focus of my (and other's) disagreement is apparent. The reasons for our disagreement have been spelled out. You don't necessarily had to have been there to address them.

There is really NO need for you to make any assumptions as to why I should or shouldn't post my techincal opinion. Are you truly serious? You don't even know me.
You avail yourself of this forum to help sell your products. I don't think I'm making such a huge request.

If I didn't run the actual Dyno Test of my intake (Which I have never done!!)...
Then I would say my intake was again "idependently Dyno tested"
You implied that the Fujita dyno was done independently which is kinda like asking Floyd Landis' (Tour de France 'winner') personal doctor to test his urine for steroids in his doctor's laboratory. I wasn't talking about any of your dynos.

If neither of these intakes suit your needs then please do not buy them..
Dog eat dog, I guess. Your point is also well-taken as I don't plan on buying either product. However, I can't stand by silently when I think people are being given incorrect information that could separate the $ from their bank accounts.
Old 08-08-06, 02:08 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Smile

We can keep quoting each other all day long....

...But I do have better things to do with my time!

Again thank you for all your helpful input and the knowledge you bring to this site.

Joe Z

Quick Reply: Fujita F5 IS HERE!!