IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Play DVD's without ML

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 10:03 PM
iexpress
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Play DVD's without ML

Ok. So i searched about hours and hours.. i still coud not find what i am looking for. I want to watch and play dvd's in my car. My car did not come with the ML. So what is the best way to do this ? What do you guys recomend ? Should i replace my stock nav unit ?
Old 08-04-06, 10:52 PM
blk06is350
Rookie

as long as the dvd drive is seperate from the screen all u need is an rgb converter and an external dvd player and an fm modulator and someone who knows what they are doing to hook it all up. u are going to have a much harder time finding someone to replace your factroy nav unit. its more involved than u think with the a/c controls and all integrated. As soon as mine comes in september 1st ish. i will be trying to add dvd and will post.
Old 08-05-06, 05:30 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to date has anyone done this?

i haven't seen it. i think the standing rule is no ml, no dvd.
Old 08-05-06, 07:50 AM
pulsar329
Driver School Candidate

i also don't have ML and i've been calling different places. I actually brought in my car to http://tvandnav2go.com/. Over the phone the salesman said they will be able to install it for me since they have the converters that do this. But after about 4 hours of trying they failed and said they will need to get more information from the dealer. It's been 2 weeks since then and they said they never got the info.

If anyone has gotten the nav screen to play dvds w/o ML please let me know.. Thanks.
Old 08-05-06, 10:20 AM
iexpress
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blk06is350
as long as the dvd drive is seperate from the screen all u need is an rgb converter and an external dvd player and an fm modulator and someone who knows what they are doing to hook it all up. u are going to have a much harder time finding someone to replace your factroy nav unit. its more involved than u think with the a/c controls and all integrated. As soon as mine comes in september 1st ish. i will be trying to add dvd and will post.

nah not really .. its not that hard to replace that nav unit. AC controls im sure you can intergrate that in a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 that is the unit im trying to add in my IS. So i can replace the stock nav. But im not sure if i really want to add it. But in life you have to lose a little to gain alott. I guess its worth it to watch dvd's and watch people tailgating you while you drive. But overall we all have different choices on how things should work. But if anyone is interested take a look at the AVIC-Z1 (Click on the link below). Pretty Expensive but its worth it.

Pioneer AVIC-Z1
Old 08-05-06, 10:43 AM
theEND
Driver School Candidate

My best friend has that unit in his Highlander. Personally for me, I didn't like the interface. The overall package is crazy but I just didn't like that inferface. The unit is perfect for someone who doesn't have a Nav in there car, but I don't think it worth replacing the Nav on the 2IS.

Everytime my friend rides in my car he always compliments how our nav looks A LOT cleaner than his and how he wishes he had the same type in his car. Spending over $2G's for our stock Nav and then spending another $2G's for another Nav that plays movies isn't worth it IMO.

Personally I'd wait for something to come out that will work with the stock nav. Give it some time, I'm sure someone will figure it out.
Old 08-05-06, 01:58 PM
iexpress
Pole Position

Originally Posted by theEND
My best friend has that unit in his Highlander. Personally for me, I didn't like the interface. The overall package is crazy but I just didn't like that inferface. The unit is perfect for someone who doesn't have a Nav in there car, but I don't think it worth replacing the Nav on the 2IS.

Everytime my friend rides in my car he always compliments how our nav looks A LOT cleaner than his and how he wishes he had the same type in his car. Spending over $2G's for our stock Nav and then spending another $2G's for another Nav that plays movies isn't worth it IMO.

Personally I'd wait for something to come out that will work with the stock nav. Give it some time, I'm sure someone will figure it out.
Ya thats very welll said and also very true. Patience is always a virtue. So lets all just hope for the best.
Old 08-05-06, 07:26 PM
Session87
Driver School Candidate

i have a friend that wired a dvd player to his backup camera hookups (not on a lexus). since they override the screen anytime a signal is coming in, all you have to do is fire up the dvd and it will show up on the screen. since the 2is has an aux input line for sound, you could run the audio through that. i wouldn't suggest doing this yourself unless you really know your stuff, so take it to a profesional audio store and see if they understand this procedure and if they can do it for you. if anyone gets this done or finds out if it will for sure work on the 2is, please let us know...
Old 08-05-06, 10:04 PM
iexpress
Pole Position

Well man after taking my car to a Car Audio shop i am still left with no solution. Lexus made the car that way so they could **** us off. They knew alott of aftermarket was going to be added. But in a IS 350 or 250 its hard to even find a way to watch movies. ( NO ML ) See you cant install or replace the stock nav at all. If you do that the AC controls will be gone. So either way we are getting screwed. But hey check out the good part .. I love the car. Also ANYTHING is possible. I think its just a matter of time.
Old 08-09-06, 09:45 PM
lirandy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by iexpress
Well man after taking my car to a Car Audio shop i am still left with no solution. Lexus made the car that way so they could **** us off. They knew alott of aftermarket was going to be added. But in a IS 350 or 250 its hard to even find a way to watch movies. ( NO ML ) See you cant install or replace the stock nav at all. If you do that the AC controls will be gone. So either way we are getting screwed. But hey check out the good part .. I love the car. Also ANYTHING is possible. I think its just a matter of time.
I just wanna clarify one thing. You said you don't have ML, but do you have nav?
You want to watch DVD with your factory nav or you want to put an aftermarket monitor + dvd player into your non-nav dash?
Old 08-09-06, 10:20 PM
iexpress
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lirandy
I just wanna clarify one thing. You said you don't have ML, but do you have nav?
You want to watch DVD with your factory nav or you want to put an aftermarket monitor + dvd player into your non-nav dash?
Well i would rather like to watch dvd's with my factory nav. I am not sure how that will happen but ya thats what i want to do.
Old 08-10-06, 06:46 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pulsar329
i also don't have ML and i've been calling different places. I actually brought in my car to http://tvandnav2go.com/. Over the phone the salesman said they will be able to install it for me since they have the converters that do this. But after about 4 hours of trying they failed and said they will need to get more information from the dealer. It's been 2 weeks since then and they said they never got the info.

If anyone has gotten the nav screen to play dvds w/o ML please let me know.. Thanks.
That's funny, it seems like that place just strictly does tv's and navigation systems, yet they
couldn't do one for you
Old 08-10-06, 06:50 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

The option of not being able to watch dvd in my car (which is kinda of
ridiculous) was not worth $1600 to me.. It would of been more like a novelity
that would of wore off in a week. The main reason i wanted the
ML was for what I use everytime I get into the car, (the louder audio system)
Old 08-10-06, 07:22 AM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the DVD idea, but i use it more to show people my car can dont and theirs cant more then watchin movies. I love the DTS sourround sound. I use it on long trips but most of the time the same movie sits in there and i dont use it due to i have seen it a thousnad times and i dont pick up new movies every other day. What i wish i could do (and havent seen anyone do this) is add a TV tuner to the factory Navi with ML. I would use that way more then a DVD. Even tho the DVD video and audio quality are very clean. And if i can ever get that to work i would like to add the same picture playing on rear headrest for the back passangers as they are squished on long trips and have nothing to do. With black inteior seom nice black monitors would hide nicley.
Old 08-10-06, 08:35 AM
cmusic
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My DVD/5.1 system

I’m putting a full DVD video system in my non-NAV, non-ML 2IS, but I am replacing the entire audio system. I already had most of the equipment from my previous car and I just hated letting it sit in a closet. Here is a list of what I have done so far or will be doing in the following weeks:

Moved the non-ML factory deck to the glovebox.

Installed Alpine F#1 Status CDA-7990 CD deck and display for the sound processor in dash.

Replaced the front door speakers with Boston Acoustics Z6 speaker set.

Removed the trunk amplifier and installed Boston Acoustics Z6 passive crossovers in its place.

Added a Tang Band Sounds 3” full range mid to the dash center channel location.

Replaced the non-ML center dash grill with one from a ML system.

Removed the factory sub.

Replace rear door speakers with Alpine Type-X speaker set.

Build custom sub enclosure and amp rack for Alpine Type-X 10” sub, Alpine F#1 Status PXA-H900 5.1 surround sound processor, and Alpine MRD-M1005 and MRV-F545 amplifiers. Rack will be covered in black leather and highlighted with blue lighted plexiglass.

Ran 1/0 gauge power wire from battery to trunk.

Build a rack to go over factory amp location in side of trunk to hold Alpine MRV-F250 amplifier and DHA-S680 DVD/CD changer.

Install a cell phone mount next to factory A/C controls to hold an Alpine 5.8” LCD widescreen montitor.

I hopefully will have everything done in about 6 weeks. Future additions might include an I-POD and an Alpine Blackbird navigation unit.

Quick Reply: Play DVD's without ML