IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How often are NAV updates available?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 02:33 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often are NAV updates available?

Title pretty much sums it up... How often to they update the nav software, additionally, how much does it generally cost?
Old 08-07-06, 09:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One is available every year. But you don't need to change it every year; only when you want to...
Old 08-07-06, 09:24 AM
menech
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
One is available every year. But you don't need to change it every year; only when you want to...
dumb question, but I'm assuming the updates just included map updates? Or are there actual upgrades to the firmware or nav software features? anybody know based on previous experiences with nav updates?
Old 08-07-06, 12:13 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by menech
dumb question, but I'm assuming the updates just included map updates? Or are there actual upgrades to the firmware or nav software features? anybody know based on previous experiences with nav updates?
I updated the nav in my G35 after two years and the only changes were in map data, streets and POI's. It cost $180 (from Zenrin who makes it), and I'm not sure if it was worth it.
Old 08-07-06, 12:34 PM
roubaixpro
Driver School Candidate

The updates are very expensive at $288 or more depending where you buy it. I plan on updating in about 9 years.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist....73&ModelID=151
Old 08-07-06, 01:23 PM
MNguyen281
Driver School Candidate

My parent's house, which is in a big neighborhood in a well established part of houston, is not recognized by the nav system. they've lived there for six years and the neighborhood has been around for longer. if its under $300 i'll just update for the heck of it.
Old 08-07-06, 03:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Updates are worth it if you live in a new neightborhood or community with new streets and businesses, such as sprawling areas in Las Vegas or Phoenix or Riverside County. Even then, you won't know if your neightborhood will be updated with the new CD.

Otherwise, if you live is "settled" urban areas such as L.A. and New York, you can probably go with the current CD for a very long time.
Old 08-07-06, 04:19 PM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

The updates are just a DVD right?

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 08-08-06 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-07-06, 04:57 PM
bdmac
Driver School Candidate

Possibly I guess unless the DVD player they used for the Nav won't read DVD+/-Rs....
Old 08-07-06, 04:58 PM
ICSFSEDoD
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

There must be a supplier other than Lexus that can provide the DVD for less than $288. My BMW M5 nav was Navteq data which you could purchase direct for about $150.

Anyone know if there is another supplier?

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 08-08-06 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-07-06, 05:02 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ICSFSEDoD
There must be a supplier other than Lexus that can provide the DVD for less than $288. My BMW M5 nav was Navteq data which you could purchase direct for about $150.

Anyone know if there is another supplier?
Just think of it as a group buy

Last edited by PhilipMSPT; 08-08-06 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-08-06, 12:36 AM
Diode
Driver School Candidate

Default Fyi

Copies are illegal.

Navteq only makes map data. There is more than one map supplier. Different map suppliers cover areas differently. Navigation DVD's include, map in the companies format (could include multiple map suppliers), POI's, a multitude of additional data, freeway data, those cool little brand icons and software upgrades.

The navigation system in Toyota's are updated once a year.

I'd get into who makes bad and good systems, but I think I've mentioned it before. I think.

As for buying new discs, depens on what you use it for. Do you want the latest features? Tweaks that increase usability? Missing streets you'd like to route on? New restaurants/businesses that you'd like to find? It's like getting a new yellow pages every year. New freeway just built? etc etc. The nav system is like any computer, or gaming console. The later released games/drivers etc tend to have more features, or are sometimes more efficient and make better use of the hardware. But if you use it to route you from home to work, or to a friends house, and it works just fine, then no need.
Old 08-08-06, 12:59 AM
cocopops
Pole Position

probably wont need an upgrade for me. there is always mapquest, google maps if i need to get direction... if not i can also call someone. well...maybe its also just me as i consider myself a good map person.
Old 08-08-06, 07:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Default NO ILLEGAL COPYING of DVDs ALLOWED!!!

Please keep in mind that any information regarding illegal copying or selling of DVD products in this Forum are not allowed.

Thank you. And be good!
Old 08-08-06, 04:14 PM
suprafrank
Rookie

Originally Posted by roubaixpro
The updates are very expensive at $288 or more depending where you buy it. I plan on updating in about 9 years.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist....73&ModelID=151
Updating it in 9 years???!!! You may want to get another car or a new navigation system instead.

Quick Reply: How often are NAV updates available?