IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Warning / Advice about window tinting

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 05:32 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warning / Advice about window tinting

I took my IS to a reputable window tinting shop a couple months ago, and now all 4 of my door windows (that roll down) need to be redone for a 2nd time (3rd time in total). Lexus made the wipers / lower window molding VERY tight. In order for the tint to go below the wipers, the tinter has to push the wipers down. Normally, the wipers automatically flip back up when the window is rolled down and up the first time (after the tint has cured for a couple days). However, these don't.

When I rolled my windows down for the first time, the wipers on all four doors only partially flipped back up. This created a hard corner on the wipers that created little vertical scratches in the tint. When I noticed the scratches and investigated, I noticed that part of the wipers were still folded down, so I pulled the rest of them back up with needle nose pliers. I also took it back to the tint shop to have the windows fixed.

The scratches came back again, even though the wipers were fine! I decided to remove the door panel so that I could see what was happening. It turns out that there are TWO wipers in parallel (see below), and BOTH of them were having the same problem folding back up! Now I'm taking it back to the tint shop with all 4 door panels and lower molding removed, so that the installer can make damn sure that this doesn't happen again. I suggest you do the same before taking yours in for tinting (the first time). I'm sure the Lexus dealer wouldn't make this mistake, so that might be justification for paying the extra money.

EDIT: Before everyone posts "It's the tint shop's fault" ... I KNOW THAT! The dealer's tint people will not make this mistake! I'm just wanting to share my experience with other owners that aren't having the tint installed by the dealer. This issue has cost me 3 half days of time, and I'm wanting to save others from the same.
Attached Thumbnails Warning / Advice about window tinting-100_0221.jpg  

Last edited by Gernby; 08-07-06 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-07-06, 05:34 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Ready to go back...
Attached Thumbnails Warning / Advice about window tinting-100_0223.jpg  
Old 08-07-06, 06:34 PM
mofogasm
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's your installers fault, i have no problems with my window tiniting.
Old 08-07-06, 06:37 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mofogasm
Yeah, I have to agree with ****. The dealer tinted mine prior to delivery (which I'm sure they farmed out) and don't have any problems with it what so ever.
Old 08-07-06, 06:39 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mofogasm
Of course it is! Did I imply otherwise? I'm just passing this along to others that take their cars to tint shops that haven't done a 2IS before. My tint shop is not charging me for this, and the tint WILL be fixed. I just wish I had the 3 extra half days of my life back.

Last edited by Gernby; 08-07-06 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-07-06, 06:56 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Of course it is! Did I imply otherwise? I'm just passing this along to others that take their cars to tint shops that haven't done a 2IS before. My tint shop is not charging me for this, and the tint WILL be fixed. I just wish I had the 3 extra half days of my life back.
I loved these responses, especially after the last line of your OP that stated you already know it's the installers fault, and that you're posting for informational purposes.

I wonder what they did to cause that permanent damage. Did they use a heat gun at all?
Old 08-07-06, 07:11 PM
acsan
Driver

What kind of film did you use?
Old 08-07-06, 07:18 PM
doctorttt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm bringing mine to a my local Lexus dealer this Friday. Hope everything will be fine!!!!!!
Thought about getting the tint from a local shop; however, since I heard about removing the panel of the door, no way I would give my 2IS to a local shop....rather pay a bit more for the quality and assurance.
Old 08-07-06, 07:25 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted about this a while back. Same scratches, but only to my front two windows.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220551
Old 08-07-06, 09:45 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

I had the squeaks and residue as well. I guess I should have mentioned them...
Old 08-07-06, 10:35 PM
sanwong
Driver

I had my tinter remove the door panels.......Of course I own the tint shop!!!!!
Old 08-07-06, 10:51 PM
Ichigo
Pole Position

good info nonetheless. Crazy to see the 2IS with the door panels off. Hope it gets resolved soon for you.
Old 08-08-06, 07:10 AM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by doctorttt
I'm bringing mine to a my local Lexus dealer this Friday. Hope everything will be fine!!!!!!
Thought about getting the tint from a local shop; however, since I heard about removing the panel of the door, no way I would give my 2IS to a local shop....rather pay a bit more for the quality and assurance.
how much more does the lexus dealer charge than the local tint shop? i'm thinking about doing this also.
Old 08-08-06, 07:19 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

yea this happened on my bros car (not a lexus) the wipers were bent down and it scratched the tint, i popped them (used a chopstick) back out and no more further scratching
Old 08-08-06, 07:36 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by supaIS350
how much more does the lexus dealer charge than the local tint shop? i'm thinking about doing this also.
I think the dealer wnated over $300 to tint it, but I'm sure every dealer is different. I wish I had just gotten them to do it.

Quick Reply: Warning / Advice about window tinting