IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

stoptech for the is350 is now available!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 11:06 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What pad choices are there for the IS stock brakes? I would highly recommend simply swapping a race pad for track days before spending $6k on brakes. Many race classes do not allow big brake kits and people get by just fine on stock brakes with race pads and ducting. In fact, sometimes they remove the ducting as it doesn't allow the pads to get to optimum temps. Another benefit is that stock rotors, which have to be considered a consumable if you track your car, are usually cheaper than some gonzo 355mm one. I certainly would not spend the money before trying different pads and, even more importantly, trying to brake less. It slows you down after all.
Old 08-16-06, 11:27 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KKelly
What pad choices are there for the IS stock brakes? I would highly recommend simply swapping a race pad for track days before spending $6k on brakes. Many race classes do not allow big brake kits and people get by just fine on stock brakes with race pads and ducting. In fact, sometimes they remove the ducting as it doesn't allow the pads to get to optimum temps. Another benefit is that stock rotors, which have to be considered a consumable if you track your car, are usually cheaper than some gonzo 355mm one. I certainly would not spend the money before trying different pads and, even more importantly, trying to brake less. It slows you down after all.
Race Pads: There aren't too many street pads, let alone race pads for the IS. I think EBC has some street pads and that's about it.

Race Classes: I don't know of any tracks/clubs that don't allow BBK's. If you're referring to certain class of car/setup in competition, then it's a different story.

Ducting: has already been discussed in this thread. There probably isn't enough room under the car to get any ducting with an adequate diameter without the fear of scraping, etc. If someone could design something that works, that would definitely be the way to go but you wouldn't get the bling.

Rotor Costs: when the rotors are worn out in your BBK, you can just order the rotor and re-use the hat. Prices are very comparable and to swapping the OEM rotors out with new ones.
Old 08-16-06, 12:13 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Send Carbotech some old pads and they will make you new ones in any compound you want (Porterfield may do the same). I mentioned racing as an example that stock brakes with the right pads are up to track work. I drive a 3800lb car on track so I have been through this. I am an advanced driver and although my brakes are not "stock" in the U.S. they are factory brakes (they do have a 4-piston fixed caliper and floating rotor up front) and work fine with simple wheel well ducting and track pads. I can get a slightly soft pedal at Laguna but otherwise they are fine. I know many E46 M3 owners that have had success with stock brakes and the right pads on track. $6k is half a decent Spec Miata!!

BTW, I would assume that an advanced driver would also be swapping pads on the Stop Tech brakes anyway.

I went and checked out their website and even plain rotors (without hats) are $225-$250 each. Street pads are about $150 and race compounds are about $250. A stock vented rotor would run that much from Lexus?

Last edited by KKelly; 08-16-06 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-16-06, 12:36 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

$3,195.00 for the front!! @..@
Wow~~~ that must be installed...
Is this mean... Brambo's more expensive? Or, Stoptech makes better brakes??

Last edited by hsk73; 08-16-06 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-16-06, 02:20 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by KKelly
Send Carbotech some old pads and they will make you new ones in any compound you want (Porterfield may do the same). I mentioned racing as an example that stock brakes with the right pads are up to track work. I drive a 3800lb car on track so I have been through this. I am an advanced driver and although my brakes are not "stock" in the U.S. they are factory brakes (they do have a 4-piston fixed caliper and floating rotor up front) and work fine with simple wheel well ducting and track pads. I can get a slightly soft pedal at Laguna but otherwise they are fine. I know many E46 M3 owners that have had success with stock brakes and the right pads on track. $6k is half a decent Spec Miata!!

BTW, I would assume that an advanced driver would also be swapping pads on the Stop Tech brakes anyway.

I went and checked out their website and even plain rotors (without hats) are $225-$250 each. Street pads are about $150 and race compounds are about $250. A stock vented rotor would run that much from Lexus?

U still come visit! What u dood
Old 08-16-06, 02:27 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

I still can't get over the fact that people will actually spend $6,000 to put new brakes on their car. How many of you guys buying these brakes are up to your eyeballs in debt? How many of you are silver spooners? Just curious.

What a stupid "investment" in a car that was designed from the ground up to be a sporty Buick. I could see if you were building a track car, which is something that the IS will never be...
Old 08-16-06, 02:55 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Hey 1Sicklex.

The site happened to come up in a google and I realized I hadn't been here in a while.

ff_,

Sporty Buick is a bit harsh but I agree $6k on brakes is overkill. But....it does look good.
Old 08-16-06, 04:51 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
I still can't get over the fact that people will actually spend $6,000 to put new brakes on their car. How many of you guys buying these brakes are up to your eyeballs in debt? How many of you are silver spooners? Just curious.
Just because some of us are looking at/getting a BBK, we're either living off of wealthy parents or have huge CC debt? That's just funny.

Everything is relative. Why don't you go onto the other forums that have some seriously expensive rides and ask them the same thing. Some people wear seikos, others wear a rolex, and still others wear a patek phillipe.

What a stupid "investment" in a car that was designed from the ground up to be a sporty Buick. I could see if you were building a track car, which is something that the IS will never be...
Sporty Buick? Another good one. Again, everything is relative. Just think of all the people driving around in their civics, corollas, etc. (not making fun of them, BTW) making the same judgments about you saying 'What a dip*****. He could have saved $20k and gotten a civic with better MPG, lower insurance rates, etc.'

I'm not a religious person but the phrase 'judge not....' seems overpoweringly appropriate here.
Old 08-16-06, 06:11 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What surprises me is that people are willing to spend $6K on a ~$40K car to improve brakes that haven't been proven to be inadequate even in extreme track conditions with track pads.
Old 08-16-06, 06:17 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, that $6K is 15% of $40K, and I don't think the added bling is worth an extra 15% of cost unless it provides MASSIVE performance benefits.
Old 08-16-06, 06:49 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

With that math... I would rather buy more expensive car!!
But, everyones different...

Originally Posted by Gernby
BTW, that $6K is 15% of $40K, and I don't think the added bling is worth an extra 15% of cost unless it provides MASSIVE performance benefits.
Old 08-16-06, 08:37 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
What surprises me is that people are willing to spend $6K on a ~$40K car to improve brakes that haven't been proven to be inadequate even in extreme track conditions with track pads.
If you pay retail for the stoptech brakes, you're overpaying. With a little comparison shopping, you should be able to get both the front and rears for around $4700 + or -.

Stoptech will be the first to say and they do say that the rears are very optional as it does very little actual braking. The rears with SS lines, good fluid, and race pads should do the trick. They make the rears available for the hardcore lapper and for the person who wants a balanced look.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, tracking a car is a very expensive proposition ($500-$700/day not including a day without pay). Spending $2600 on the front kit isn't that far out of line all things considered.

So you use it for as long as you own the car, send it back to stoptech and have it reconditioned for a few hundred bucks and sell it for 50-70% of what you paid for it depending on how many lap days and condition. (I got 68% back from the Endless kit I had on my G coupe for 2 years.) Sure they cost a lot but I got the benefits and peace of mind at the track and the bling for 2 years for a fraction of what they cost.

You're right that the stock brakes properly prepared and equipped haven't been proven inadequate. Maybe they'll hold up, maybe they won't.

I see the BBK as good insurance, which is expensive but the best money you ever spent if you need it.
Old 08-16-06, 08:38 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

tires should be upgraded first if you want braking power
Old 08-16-06, 09:03 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
tires should be upgraded first if you want braking power
Going with stickier tires will add that much more punishment to the brakes. You should upgrade both if you can.

I didn't see it myself but there was a c5 vette running R compounds with the stock brakes (race pads, fluid and lines). The front rotor failed and the vette was totalled. Luckily, the driver and instructor got out with sore necks, seat belt burns and a little ringing in the ears from the airbags.

From that point on, a BBK was a must for me. If for nothing else, it's good insurance, gives me peace of mind, and is worth every penny.

Have I mentioned the bling when you're not out on the track?
Old 08-16-06, 09:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,064 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
because everyone driving my car feels the difference that the brakes respond faster? like someone said before, it could be the ss line alone, i never said it's the calipers. but one thing very clear is that on my cars, the brakes become very sensitive, slight touches and the car chok to stop already. me and my wife had to completely relearn braking. reducing response time is just as important as braking time, and if pressing the brakes lightly can yield the results of pressing the brakes more in stock setup, that's obvious improvements to me.
I don't call sensitive brakes an improvement. Maybe I spent too many years racing motorcycles. I want to have a LOT of pedal travel so I can modulate the brakes with very fine control. Not touch them with a feather and have impending lock up in 5mm of travel. I'll take a short throw shifter and a short travel accelerator any day, but I want a LOT of range in my braking. I would not do what you did to your brakes and call it good. It would not make me happy at all.

Quick Reply: stoptech for the is350 is now available!