IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Alarm - Glass Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 09:23 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you guys are saying regarding add-ons to the stock alarm. I too am proactive and make it theft deterrent as much as possible. But I'm not about to spend a lot of money to upgrade the alarm. I realize it will not prevent a broken window. Some kids will test the glass first to see if the alarm will go off. If it happens once, my $90 was well spent. And yes, my dealer verified there is no glass sensor with the stock alarm.
Old 08-09-06, 10:37 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gernby
My car was in my garage with the garage door closed when they broke into it. My dog and I were asleep in the house, but didn't hear it. If my car alarm had gone off, I believe I could have introduced at least one of the theives to my 9 mm.
Since you live in TX, this might be true, but most of us in the other 49 states don't have to luxury to open fire on petty thieves who try to run away with our replaceable radar detectors. All you will have to live with is your conscious but having lived in TX for nearly 20 years, I understand that won't be a problem for you if you shoot and kill a teenager sitting in your driver's seat as long as he has the V1 in his booty bag. No offense.
Old 08-09-06, 11:38 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
Since you live in TX, this might be true, but most of us in the other 49 states don't have to luxury to open fire on petty thieves who try to run away with our replaceable radar detectors. All you will have to live with is your conscious but having lived in TX for nearly 20 years, I understand that won't be a problem for you if you shoot and kill a teenager sitting in your driver's seat as long as he has the V1 in his booty bag. No offense.
Maybe you didn't notice that this was not a typical theft. This was agravated burglary of a residence while I I was sleeping. They actually broke into my HOUSE. I'm glad they just took my V1, and I'm glad I didn't shoot them for it. However, if someone breaks into my home while I'm there, I would NEVER assume they are just a couple teenagersx trying to get my radar detector, and I would not hesitate to take action. I also believe that it is legal in ANY state to shoot someone who has broken into your home.
Old 08-09-06, 03:32 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Maybe you didn't notice that this was not a typical theft. This was agravated burglary of a residence while I I was sleeping. They actually broke into my HOUSE. I'm glad they just took my V1, and I'm glad I didn't shoot them for it. However, if someone breaks into my home while I'm there, I would NEVER assume they are just a couple teenagersx trying to get my radar detector, and I would not hesitate to take action. I also believe that it is legal in ANY state to shoot someone who has broken into your home.

yeah i saw that. you shoot people when they threaten you, not your home. i read your statement and it sounds to me like you thought it was unfortunate that you didn't get to opportunity to go the scene and escalate the sitaution with a 9mm which might lead up to someone's death.

me, i would have stayed in my room and called police. and i have plenty of weapons. you are the exception. most people in texas would rather shoot to kill. that's why they passed a law that after certain hours of the evening, anyone caught on your property (trespassing) is subject to deadly force. in kansas, the trespasser has to actually be threatening your life not just snooping around in your garage.

not trying to start an argument but nothing in my garage is valuable enough to shoot someone over. that's why i don't need a glass sensor because i'm not interested in being alerted to a break-in. even if they were pulling out of my driveway in my car in my front seat, i wouldn't use deadly force to stop them. no way. in texas, you would be justified. it's actually in the code. no where else have i seen it so plainly written.

am i being overly dramatic? i'm dead serious.
Old 08-09-06, 04:45 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
yeah i saw that. you shoot people when they threaten you, not your home. i read your statement and it sounds to me like you thought it was unfortunate that you didn't get to opportunity to go the scene and escalate the sitaution with a 9mm which might lead up to someone's death.

me, i would have stayed in my room and called police. and i have plenty of weapons. you are the exception. most people in texas would rather shoot to kill. that's why they passed a law that after certain hours of the evening, anyone caught on your property (trespassing) is subject to deadly force. in kansas, the trespasser has to actually be threatening your life not just snooping around in your garage.

not trying to start an argument but nothing in my garage is valuable enough to shoot someone over. that's why i don't need a glass sensor because i'm not interested in being alerted to a break-in. even if they were pulling out of my driveway in my car in my front seat, i wouldn't use deadly force to stop them. no way. in texas, you would be justified. it's actually in the code. no where else have i seen it so plainly written.

am i being overly dramatic? i'm dead serious.
I meant it when I said that I'm glad I didn't kill anyone for stealing my V1. However, I would NEVER expect someone that would actually break into an occupied home to be after so little (even the police officer agreed). Maybe I'm stupid for doing so, but I don't lock the door leading from my garage into my house. I figure if they can break into my garage, then they can easily break through the wimpy door.
Old 08-09-06, 06:48 PM
suprafrank
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Q2B_slow
Is it common for people to try and break into lexus's?? I never really thought there would be any point in adding any additional alarm system, but I guess that's just me.
You are not alone. I don't think that's necessary. You will need the shield protection like the batman mobile in one of the batman movie. Of course it's impossible but it's a good idea. Well, I guess you may have a peace of mind if you always park your car in the area that's not safe. You know what we need, car-door-dent-protection alarm to protect your car door from getting bump from the car parked next to you.
Old 08-09-06, 06:51 PM
suprafrank
Rookie

No glass breakage sensor on the stock system.
Well, unfortunately, even with the glass breakage sensor people can still break the window. The alarm will go off after that but that's already too late and you have to deal with a broken window. Or if they are quick, they already grab something from inside of your car and run off. May be I am negative but it's true.
Old 08-09-06, 07:00 PM
islandsnow
Driver

My car was in my garage with the garage door closed when they broke into it. My dog and I were asleep in the house, but didn't hear it. If my car alarm had gone off, I believe I could have introduced at least one of the theives to my 9 mm.
when they broke into your car and broke the glass, do you have tint on your car? not sure if that makes a difference but i'm sure if you don't have tint the glass will shatter but wondering if tint would make it hard to get in due to the fact that the tint will hold together the shatter more than if you didn't have tint.
Old 08-09-06, 07:32 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Damn, that is ridiculously crazy. What did they take? just a v1? why? I am sure there are cars on the street to break into.
Old 08-09-06, 07:35 PM
2Q2B_slow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by islandsnow
when they broke into your car and broke the glass, do you have tint on your car? not sure if that makes a difference but i'm sure if you don't have tint the glass will shatter but wondering if tint would make it hard to get in due to the fact that the tint will hold together the shatter more than if you didn't have tint.
That's nice to know since im getting my car windows tinted tomorrow.
Usually when car alarms go off do you guys check to see if it is your car? I usually assume its someone else's but that's because I live in a very safe neighborhood.

Oh im sorry if this annoys some people but can someone recommend an alarm system (decently priced)? I want to get it for my bf's 97' SC. (suprise present ^^v )
Old 08-10-06, 07:15 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by suprafrank
Well, unfortunately, even with the glass breakage sensor people can still break the window. The alarm will go off after that but that's already too late and you have to deal with a broken window. Or if they are quick, they already grab something from inside of your car and run off. May be I am negative but it's true.
Yes I agree, with a broken window (or anything else) it's already too late. That's why I have insurance. But at least when they do break the window, with a glass sensor, they will be in a hurry to leave. Again, it's just a deterrent for them to leave as soon as they hear the alarm. Most amateurs will run away as soon as they hear the alarm. Some will test the alarm first. One can make all the argument he wants. Anything is possible. But for $90, I think it's worth it. Most important, my car is not tinted and I don't leave anything valuable in the car. Hopefully that's enough to convince them to move on. It's just a $90 deterrent people. Nothing more.

Last edited by Flipsonic; 08-10-06 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-19-06, 04:19 PM
monz00n
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
Yes I agree, with a broken window (or anything else) it's already too late. That's why I have insurance. But at least when they do break the window, with a glass sensor, they will be in a hurry to leave. Again, it's just a deterrent for them to leave as soon as they hear the alarm. Most amateurs will run away as soon as they hear the alarm. Some will test the alarm first. One can make all the argument he wants. Anything is possible. But for $90, I think it's worth it. Most important, my car is not tinted and I don't leave anything valuable in the car. Hopefully that's enough to convince them to move on. It's just a $90 deterrent people. Nothing more.
hey flip, where did you get this glass sensor? i'm in the sf bay area and just got an is250. i too would like to have a glass (or motion) sensor installed as a deterrent.

thanks.
Old 08-19-06, 05:14 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by monz00n
hey flip, where did you get this glass sensor? i'm in the sf bay area and just got an is250. i too would like to have a glass (or motion) sensor installed as a deterrent.

thanks.
Custom Car Alarms in Pleasant Hill, CA. I haven't installed it yet. I will be making an appointment this coming week.
Old 08-19-06, 06:22 PM
monz00n
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
Custom Car Alarms in Pleasant Hill, CA. I haven't installed it yet. I will be making an appointment this coming week.
thanks for the info. let me know how it goes. also, if you don't mind sharing some more info. what brand and how much, part and installation?
i'm in the peninsula so i'll try to look for a vendor/installer closer.

thanks again.
Old 08-25-06, 01:54 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Well I finally had some time to drop my car off at the alarm shop today. It took 2 hours before they called me to say it was ready. $95 out the door. It works great. I had to turn it down a little since it was too sensitive. Dang that horn sure is loud. The guy connected it to one of the door triggers to the alarm. The brand is called Direct Electronics. Model is 506T. He mounted the sensor to the right of the fuel door/trunk release button but centered below the steering wheel. My only concern is the low beams (aftermarket HIDs) flash on and off while the alarm is on. I read somewhere they don't recommend that. Oh well, it's not like the alarm will be on a lot (knock on wood).

I think the guy tested my car on the streets because the PWR button was on as I drove away. I didn't want to accuse anyone since he could have pushed it by accident. Ya right! Plus the dude was very polite.

Last edited by Flipsonic; 08-25-06 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Alarm - Glass Sensor