IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Alarm - Glass Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 01:09 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alarm - Glass Sensor

Has anyone installed a glass sensor in addition to the stock alarm? Is it easy to install, or should I leave it to a pro? It's only $90 parts/labor. But if it's easy to install, I want to do it myself.

Also, anything else I should consider adding to the stock alarm?
Old 08-08-06, 01:13 PM
accelerate
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know you could ad stuff to a factory alarm are you sure.
Old 08-08-06, 01:13 PM
menech
Lead Lap

Flip do you have some info on the sensor? Is it an OEM enhancement to the stock alarm? Or a 3-rd party add-on? I apoligize if this has been covered in another thread, i'll admit I didn't "use the search" feature
Old 08-08-06, 04:08 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

It's definitely not OEM. I stopped by an alarm shop close by and saw the sensor. The guy said it is possible to add it to the stock alarm. I will be making an appointment for next week if it's not easy to install myself. I'll let you guys know.
Old 08-08-06, 04:12 PM
suprafrank
Rookie

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
Has anyone installed a glass sensor in addition to the stock alarm? Is it easy to install, or should I leave it to a pro? It's only $90 parts/labor. But if it's easy to install, I want to do it myself.

Also, anything else I should consider adding to the stock alarm?
Why do you want a glass sensor?? People already break your winshield or windows when the alarm set off. And you will have to deal with a broken window. Unless they are not strong enough then you may get windows scratched intead of broken. Motion sensor may be better. Warn them before they do anything. But you know what, any alarm may be useless as some are really good at disabling alarms anyway. Good luck.
Old 08-08-06, 04:13 PM
iexpress
Pole Position

Well i installed a whole new alarm for my car. I got the Panther Alarm. Made by Black Widow. Im pretty sure you have probably seen it before. Also if ur car alarm goes on you can see it on the remote. Plus you have about a 3,000 feet range from unlocking and locking your car. Its really great and comes in handy. Better then the stock alarm any day.
Old 08-08-06, 06:35 PM
jkaram7
Rookie

toyota offers glass breakage sensors, think it is possible to add a toyota brand to the current stock system?
Old 08-08-06, 07:32 PM
Cleric
Driver

If I am not mistaken, I believe our vehicles already come equipped with a glass breakage sensor. The sensor is located near the steering wheel.
Old 08-08-06, 09:38 PM
2Q2B_slow
Driver School Candidate

Is it common for people to try and break into lexus's?? I never really thought there would be any point in adding any additional alarm system, but I guess that's just me.
Old 08-08-06, 09:40 PM
integlikew
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleric
If I am not mistaken, I believe our vehicles already come equipped with a glass breakage sensor. The sensor is located near the steering wheel.
Well im not sure, but i have heard stories on the board about windows being broken out and stuff being taken but no alarm. And they added the alarm only goes off if the door is opened not if a window is broke out.
Old 08-08-06, 10:47 PM
iexpress
Pole Position

Originally Posted by integlikew
Well im not sure, but i have heard stories on the board about windows being broken out and stuff being taken but no alarm. And they added the alarm only goes off if the door is opened not if a window is broke out.
Ya and thats the main reason why i added a whole new alarm system I want to know when some one breaks into to my car so i can atleast know some one is breaking a window and not having to wake up in the morning and saying like "w*f just happend". Ya well we all have our own opinons.
Old 08-09-06, 06:07 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by iexpress
Ya and thats the main reason why i added a whole new alarm system I want to know when some one breaks into to my car so i can atleast know some one is breaking a window and not having to wake up in the morning and saying like "w*f just happend". Ya well we all have our own opinons.
I used to wanted to know too. Then after a couple of break-ins later, I started to realize that wanting to know didn't matter much and that I am better off either preventing it all together or finding out later and having it recorded on video.
Old 08-09-06, 06:50 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

No glass breakage sensor on the stock system.
Attached Thumbnails Alarm - Glass Sensor-100_0185-small-.jpg  
Old 08-09-06, 07:09 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
I used to wanted to know too. Then after a couple of break-ins later, I started to realize that wanting to know didn't matter much and that I am better off either preventing it all together or finding out later and having it recorded on video.
yea same here, i have little faith in car alarms, no neighbor or bystander is going to come to my cars rescue if it goes off, they will just get annoyed and ignore it. My vehicle will be parked in the garage, I dont keep valuables in plain sight in the car when its outside, and i try to park in a well lit and obvious location thats well in sight of other people instead of some weird hidden spot.
Old 08-09-06, 07:15 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yea same here, i have little faith in car alarms, no neighbor or bystander is going to come to my cars rescue if it goes off, they will just get annoyed and ignore it. My vehicle will be parked in the garage, I dont keep valuables in plain sight in the car when its outside, and i try to park in a well lit and obvious location thats well in sight of other people instead of some weird hidden spot.
My car was in my garage with the garage door closed when they broke into it. My dog and I were asleep in the house, but didn't hear it. If my car alarm had gone off, I believe I could have introduced at least one of the theives to my 9 mm.

Quick Reply: Alarm - Glass Sensor