IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Which Plant was your IS assembled at ?
Kyushu (code 2)
47.24%
Tahara (code 5)
52.76%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Where was your 2IS assembled ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-06, 05:30 AM
Payam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tahara.... I feel special.
Old 08-14-06, 08:03 PM
MeTrO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tahara-san!
Old 08-15-06, 08:09 AM
Solomoan
Pole Position

Smile Tahara too!

250 AWD. SGM/Black interior.
Old 08-19-06, 07:59 PM
Phillip31
Pole Position

How do u guys know what date your cars were built on?

Also, which cars were built at Tahara or Kyushu?...Are the earlier ones at Tahara and the later ones at Kyushu or just random?

All i know is that I got my car in Dec. 2005 and it arrived either at the port or the dealership (can't remember) Nov. 5, 2005...oh and mine's a 5 so it was built in Tahara
Old 08-20-06, 01:31 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Kyushu and the port is Portland OR.
Old 08-20-06, 01:54 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Did anyone see Ford's outstanding record in this picture, found in the first of Ryan's posted links:

How is it even possible to have more problems per 100 cars than cars produced? I guess if you have three problems on the same car, it counts three times. Looks like Volvo's are now being "Built Ford Tough" - even if you have to drag it in to get the recall service done... Oh, and by the way - check out how GM actually has less problems per 100 than a certain Bavarian Motor company...

Javier
Actually those are very good numbers. Let's say you have 50,000 people who keep their car for 3 years. Then you send them a survey and ask them if you have ever had any problems (not defects) with your car. If some people put down one problem with the wipers, someone else says the wipers and a strange noise coming from the back tire area, and another person says the trunk button went out, the left tail light went out, and my car didn't start once, and a bunch of people saying "no problems at all".... let say you have 47,000 complaints....you get a 94 which is damn good. Even a 102 is amazing with everyone having just about one problem (who doesn't have at least one problem with their car in 3 years). What's bad are scores like 300 and 350 and 390.
Old 08-23-06, 07:36 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ever wonder how Lexus and Toyota are 'really' different? Check out this web site and read the entire page. Toyota will except up to 50 defects out of one million parts while Lexus will only except 10 defects per one million parts. What a difference.
Great reading
http://detnews.com/2004/specialrepor.../a15-70498.htm
Old 08-25-06, 02:02 AM
vlkcheng
Driver School Candidate

I'm very confused now. Do you only count the 11th number ? or do you count the letters in front of it too? I'm getting 2 (Kyushu) if you count the letters as well and 5 (Tahara) if only numbers and not letters in front of it. Please help
Old 08-25-06, 02:29 AM
Phillip31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gtidan
Ever wonder how Lexus and Toyota are 'really' different? Check out this web site and read the entire page. Toyota will except up to 50 defects out of one million parts while Lexus will only except 10 defects per one million parts. What a difference.
Great reading
http://detnews.com/2004/specialrepor.../a15-70498.htm
So what they're sayin is...if 10 or more out of the million parts that were given to Lexus from the suppliers......Lexus wont accept those parts?....so wat are they gonna do?....ask the suppliers to rebuild them or ship new ones?
Old 08-25-06, 07:51 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Phillip31
How do u guys know what date your cars were built on?
The production month and year is listed on the driver's side B pillar at the bottom near the rocker panel. You can find it on the top right corner like here:

Old 08-25-06, 11:18 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Phillip31
So what they're sayin is...if 10 or more out of the million parts that were given to Lexus from the suppliers......Lexus wont accept those parts?....so wat are they gonna do?....ask the suppliers to rebuild them or ship new ones?

You might have misunderstood the paragraph since he used the word "except" rather than "accept" which in this case will give it a slightly different meaning.

The answer to your question is YES.

But if all the parts going to both Lexus and Toyota are averaging about 2 and 3 per million parts respectively, you would expect Lexus and Toyota to be similar in perceived quality, right?
Old 08-25-06, 11:43 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vlkcheng
I'm very confused now. Do you only count the 11th number ? or do you count the letters in front of it too? I'm getting 2 (Kyushu) if you count the letters as well and 5 (Tahara) if only numbers and not letters in front of it. Please help
Look ONLY at the 11th digit (from the left). If it's a 2 = Kyushu. If it's a 5 = Tahara. Sounds like yours was built in Tahara . . .
Old 09-12-06, 07:17 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tahara or Kyrusha

Would be interesting to see what part of the US the cars from each plant are shipped to. Do those from Kyrusha go to the east coast or evenly distributed around the country. Same for the Tahara plant..

Tahara here and I live in So. California
Old 09-12-06, 09:15 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by socalJD
For one, you can find your VIN on your purchase order, owner's manual packet, key ID tag, car insurance declaration, etc - you don't need to go out to the actual car.

This poll was created because I have a personal interest in this. My mother was born in Kyushu. One day I would like to go to Japan and visit some of my relatives. Prior to owning the IS, I had no clue that Lexus has a major manufacturing plant near my Mom's hometown. It's just another reason for me to plan this trip sooner rather than later. Now can I have your almighty blessing and permission for this poll ?!?!
Kyushu is not a town; it's the southern-most island of the 3 that make up Japan. I was stationed on Kyushu in the 60s (and my 350 was apparently built there, too).
Old 09-12-06, 09:33 PM
CWS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by socalJD
Look ONLY at the 11th digit (from the left). If it's a 2 = Kyushu. If it's a 5 = Tahara. Sounds like yours was built in Tahara . . .
I beg to disagree. You should count letters and digits, instead. If I count only digits (and not letters), then I have a 6 in that position, so that cannot be the method, since only 2 or 5 is allowed. So, his is from Kyushu. Right?

Quick Reply: Where was your 2IS assembled ?