IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Which Plant was your IS assembled at ?
Kyushu (code 2)
47.24%
Tahara (code 5)
52.76%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Where was your 2IS assembled ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-06, 09:55 PM
Gtidan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Parts 'ain't' just parts at Lexus

Originally Posted by Phillip31
So what they're sayin is...if 10 or more out of the million parts that were given to Lexus from the suppliers......Lexus wont accept those parts?....so wat are they gonna do?....ask the suppliers to rebuild them or ship new ones?
As the article states: there not accepted. What happens next I do not know.

The message here is that Toyota and Lexus are NOT the same under the skin as some here have indicated..............and are wrong! Lexus truly is built to a higher standard.
Old 09-26-06, 02:48 PM
Julez
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got my VIN for my car and the 11th digit is 5 so Tahara!
Old 09-26-06, 05:32 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool, mine was birthed at Tahara
Old 09-26-06, 07:36 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Kyushu for mine, 02/06 build date

I'm sure it doesn't make any difference.
Old 12-26-06, 06:26 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tahara here... 09/06

Last edited by Technique; 01-02-07 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-02-07, 03:20 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Kyushu. December 2006 build date.
Old 01-02-07, 03:25 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pimp350
Kyushu. December 2006 build date.
WTF dude... You live in KY and your car is porting in WA??? Is that normal? I'd assume it would hit an east coast port...
Old 01-02-07, 03:31 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Technique
WTF dude... You live in KY and your car is porting in WA??? Is that normal? I'd assume it would hit an east coast port...
LOL! Beats me man! I actually ordered it from Cincinnati and its suppose to goto Seattle to Chicago to Cincinnati to ME! I guess maybe it's easier (shorter) to ship to westcoast than eastcoast...

I called him today and he said it's on the boat and is scheduled to arrive the port on the 4th (in 2 days!) so, I might be expecting a delievery date somewhere around Jan 20th-26th, hopefully...
Old 01-02-07, 04:14 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pimp350
LOL! Beats me man! I actually ordered it from Cincinnati and its suppose to goto Seattle to Chicago to Cincinnati to ME! I guess maybe it's easier (shorter) to ship to westcoast than eastcoast...

I called him today and he said it's on the boat and is scheduled to arrive the port on the 4th (in 2 days!) so, I might be expecting a delievery date somewhere around Jan 20th-26th, hopefully...
Cool... I'm just glad you got the VIN and a port date!!! Hopefully you'll get it much sooner than the 26th Keep us posted!
Old 01-02-07, 04:20 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Mine was assembled in Kyushu. Port in Long Beach, Ca. Build date 10/06.
Old 01-02-07, 06:07 PM
Dan SS
Driver School Candidate

anyone know where you can get VIN code definitions?

I just got an 06 IS250 (traded in my 03 IS300) and I'd like to know the details of the letters and numbers in the VIN code.

I did a search on this site and on Google and got nothing.

thanks
Old 01-02-07, 06:24 PM
warrionex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to Lexus's spanish website the IS is manufactured in the Iwate plant of Kanji.

Follow this link: http://www.lexus.com/espanol/about/c...facturing.html

US WEBSITE
In 1989, Lexus began building vehicles in Japan. Its Canadian plant, the first plant outside of Japan, opened in September 2003, located in the province of Ontario. Currently, Lexus has four facilities operating in Japan.

About Our Newest Facility

Cambridge, Ontario, is home to the first Lexus manufacturing plant in North America. It produces the RX luxury sport utility vehicle, the best selling SUV Lexus ever built.

The Cambridge facility is unique in its resemblance to a Lexus dealership, rather than a typical automotive plant. The first RX produced in this facility is on display in the showroom, surrounded by polished wood floors and ceiling-high glass-an impressive setting that reminds all employees to take pride in their craftsmanship.

No matter where a Lexus is built, one thing remains constant: the idea that every step of the production process should reflect the Passionate Pursuit of Perfection. As of today, this Cambridge facility has earned seven J.D. Power and Associates plant-quality awards, including four gold awards.

Model Production Location
LS Tahara
GS Tahara
GS Hybrid Tahara
ES Kyushu
IS Kyushu and Tahara
SC Kanto Jidosha
LX Araco
GX Tahara
RX Kyushu and Cambridge, Ontario
RX Hybrid Kyushu

SPANISH WEBSITE
Los vehículos Lexus se han fabricado en Japón desde 1989 y en Canadá desde 2003. Los vehículos Lexus se producen en seis plantas en Japón y en la primera fábrica fuera de Japón, en la provincia de Ontario.

Acerca de nuestra instalación más reciente

En septiembre de 2003, Lexus abrió su primera fábrica en América del Norte en Cambridge, Ontario. Esta instalación comenzó a producir el modelo RX 330, el vehículo deportivo utilitario que se ha transformado en el vehículo más popular de la línea Lexus.

A diferencia de la típica fábrica de automóviles, la entrada de la instalación de Cambridge se diseñó para que se asemejara a la de un concesionario Lexus. Los miembros del equipo pasan a través de una sala de ventas verdadera, con todo y pisos de madera pulida y vidrio que llega hasta el techo. En el centro de esta perfecta sala de ventas se encuentra el primer vehículo que se produjo: un modelo RX 330. Cada miembro del equipo debe construir el vehículo como si su vecino o ellos mismos fuesen a comprarlo.

Para asegurarse de que un Lexus siga siendo un Lexus sin importar dónde se fabrique, se capacitó a todo el personal de Cambridge para que cumpliese la búsqueda apasionada de la perfección que guía a los trabajadores de Lexus en todo el mundo. La calidad de la producción en la planta de Cambridge rápidamente se elevó hasta el nivel de otras fábricas de Lexus. Aquí, al igual que en todas las plantas de Lexus, la filosofía de Lexus se basa en la comprensión de que la calidad se debe incorporar en cada parte del proceso de producción, y no limitarse a inspecciones minuciosas o correcciones posteriores.

Esta planta, conocida como Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada, ha ganado siete galardones de calidad de planta de J.D. Power and Associates, incluidos cuatro galardones de oro.

MODELO LUGAR DE FABRICACIÓN
LS Tahara
GS Tahara
ES Tsutsumi, Kyushu
IS Kanji (Planta de Iwate)
SC Kanji (Kanto Jidosha)
LX Araco
GX Tahara
RX Kyushu y Cambridge, Ontario
RX Hybrid Kyushu

This is the info i got from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus
Lexus
Production

Many Lexus vehicles are manufactured in Toyota's Tahara, Japan plant, a highly sophisticated, computerized manufacturing plant [15]. In 2005, J.D. Power bestowed its Platinum award for worldwide plant quality on the Tahara plant, stating that it has the fewest defects of any manufacturing plant in the world [16]. It was the fourth consecutive year that the Tahara plant captured this award. In 2006, J.D. Power named the Kanji (Iwate) plant, site of ES and IS model production, as its recipient of the Platinum award for worldwide plant quality [17].

Lexus manufacturing techniques include methods and standards of quality control that differ from Toyota models [3]. At the Tahara plant, site of LS, GS, and GX production, separate assembly lines were developed for the manufacture of Lexus vehicles. New molds and specialized manufacturing equipment were also developed for the Lexus production process. Welding processes, body panel fit tolerances, and paint quality requirements are more stringent for Lexus models. Each production Lexus vehicle is also given an extensive visual inspection for flaws and subjected to vibration tests to ensure a smooth and quiet ride [3].

All Lexus wood trim is genuine, and each wood inlay in a single vehicle is sourced from the same tree for a consistent appearance [18]. Lexus engines are tested by stethoscope-equipped engineers to ensure optimum performance [19]. For the latest Lexus LS model, new production standards include a paint process where the entire vehicle is hand-sanded twice [20], the steering wheel leather buffed for six hours [13], and the window chrome trim carved out of a single piece of metal and polished by hand.

The North American-market RX 350 (since the 2004 model year) is produced in the city of Cambridge, in Ontario, Canada, and is the first Lexus plant located outside of Japan. Lexus vehicles are produced at the Araco, Kanji (Iwate), Kanji (Kanto Jidosha), Katashiki, Kyushu, and Tahara plants in Japan [21].
Old 01-02-07, 06:26 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Technique
Cool... I'm just glad you got the VIN and a port date!!! Hopefully you'll get it much sooner than the 26th Keep us posted!
Yea man, I'm really excited and hope that everything works out well. I'll defintely keep you guys posted....
Old 01-02-07, 07:09 PM
LexusNut13
Pole Position

Tahara here!
Old 01-03-07, 11:39 PM
TakaM
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Kyushu
Born 10/06

San Diego, CA

Quick Reply: Where was your 2IS assembled ?