IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Side mirror scratches

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 07:28 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Self inflicted? I don't think so. As others have mentioned, I wash all my cars the same way and none have experienced the scratches as in my 2IS. I don't see any scratches on the passenger side and I wipe them both dry the same way. I really do think that Lexus put on cheap mirrors. I will definitely mention this during my 5K service.
Old 10-03-06, 08:10 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I've seen, nearly all cars with dark paint come with swirl marks from the factory...
Old 10-03-06, 08:15 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Originally Posted by Technique
From what I've seen, nearly all cars with dark paint come with swirl marks from the factory...
I hope people understood me. When I speak about side mirror scratches, I'm referring to the mirror itself. I have scratches on the mirror at the driver side, but not the passenger. It would be hard for me to see scratches/swirls on the paint since my car is silver.
Old 10-03-06, 08:24 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Flipsonic
I hope people understood me. When I speak about side mirror scratches, I'm referring to the mirror itself. I have scratches on the mirror at the driver side, but not the passenger. It would be hard for me to see scratches/swirls on the paint since my car is silver.
I understood you, it's the glass you were complaining about. But others in the thread talked about dark paint, so I thought I'd chime in... Sorry for the thread hijack
Old 10-12-06, 08:44 AM
Flipsonic
Instructor

I'm getting the driver side mirror replaced today since it's under warranty. Yikes! $562 The dealer tells me they will replace it just this time for free. But for those that had theirs replaced, did they replace it with a scratch free mirror? I don't want the same thing to happen again. I swear, I wipe both mirrors with the same micro fiber towel and there is nothing wrong with the passenger side.
Old 10-12-06, 09:16 AM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gainesvill
Anyone has scratches on side mirror?

Mine has spider web scratches all over. I hand wash my car and use microfiber towel to dry.
It seems like the side mirrors are made of plastic, and it scratches easily.

Others have same experience?
You mean swirl marks? I have 2 small spots with swirl marks, most likely caused by the MR.WASH I went to, never again shall I go to a MR.WASH, its all about embassy autowash baby!!
Old 10-12-06, 09:19 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

I'm getting the driver side mirror replaced today since it's under warranty. Yikes! $562 The dealer tells me they will replace it just this time for free. But for those that had theirs replaced, did they replace it with a scratch free mirror? I don't want the same thing to happen again. I swear, I wipe both mirrors with the same micro fiber towel and there is nothing wrong with the passenger side.
Don't let them pull that crap on you! If they say "OK, we'll replace it this time only", stop them right there and tell them "No, you will replace this mirror as many times as is necessary until I get a non-defective mirror."

Don't let the dealer bully you around like that... If something is defective, they need to replace it, not just once, but for the duration of your warranty!!

I hate dealerships... Man, I REALLY hate them...
Old 10-12-06, 09:41 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

I got mine replaced and the new one is scratch free. It feels like a harder material also.
Old 10-12-06, 10:43 AM
mr.weather
Rookie

i have scratches on my driver side mirror too... will i get replaced from dealer for free?? any ppl from vancouver??
Old 10-12-06, 02:33 PM
noojen
Driver School Candidate

I used Meguiars plastic polisher on my driver sider mirror and it got rid of the scratches and swirls. It was pretty disgusting when it was all scratched up.

And Im pretty careful now aobut not over wiping.

I do agree that I expected more out of the side mirrors because I do not recall every abrasively washing my side mirrors any more than the rest of the car.

I might try to get it replaced as well.
Old 10-12-06, 08:02 PM
Flipsonic
Instructor

Just an update: I got the mirror replaced in 45 minutes. The service guy told me just to use a polishing cloth to wipe from now on. I don't know how good it will work drying the mirror. Polishing cloths are for polishing, not for drying. I don't want to buy a chamois just for the mirrors. Oh well, just another thing to remember. I just never had to deal with mirror scratches with any cars I've owned before. I expected more from a Lexus.

The lady next to me laughed when I said don't wash the car. I just washed/waxed it myself and I don't want anyone else to wash it anyway.