IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

in case you're wondering what a 255/40/18 dunlop sp sport maxx costs at my dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 12:31 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
Another thing to consider, the Bridgestones are about 2lbs heavier per tire than the Dunlops, and the Michelins are about 2lbs lighter than the Dunlops - of course the Michelins are also more $$$. (Thus the Bridgestones are 4lbs heavier than the Michelins - thats over 10%)
good point... i forgot about that... now i might end up getting the PS2's instead... but is the $$$ worth the weight drop?
Old 08-09-06, 01:30 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsquared
good point... i forgot about that... now i might end up getting the PS2's instead... but is the $$$ worth the weight drop?
I guess my point is if you don't like the Dunlops and are considering the RE050s - you might as well just get the PS2s. As for me, the Dunlops are just fine, and seem to be the best all around choice b/w the 3 tires . . .
Old 08-09-06, 03:00 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

So they charge you $300 for wheel and tire insurance in the off chance that something like this could happen, and then they cap the amount you can actually use? I couldn't be more glad I skipped this ripoff. You could have gone elsewhere and bought the tire for $200, and chances are you won't have another flat anytime soon unless you're driving through construction sites. Complete waste of money IMO.
Old 08-09-06, 03:03 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by conekiller
update...dealer just called and the insurance company is going to send me a check for the full amount....but my term maximum is still the same ($600) but I'll take that chance.
Can you tell me more about your tire/wheel insurance - my dealer doesn't offer this or forgot to mention it to me. What is the initial cost, how long is the term, what is the max payout, is it dealer specific or will any lexus dealer honor it ??? TIA . . .
Old 08-09-06, 03:44 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
No doubt, the Dunlops tramline terribly. The Bridgestone RE-050 would have been a much better tire in every respect. It's kind of "the tire to use" these days, and for good reason.
Mine came with the BS RE050's. You're aware they have a treadwear rating of 140, aren't you? Which, of course, doesn't matter if max performance is what you're after.

Since I'm expecting mine not to last too long, I'm also doing some checking around, and like someone else has said, I wonder about the Avon 500 A/S's. A couple more pounds doesn't bother me, and I'm hoping they'll deliver a softer, quieter ride. And of course, last longer!
Old 08-09-06, 04:00 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 15951
So they charge you $300 for wheel and tire insurance in the off chance that something like this could happen, and then they cap the amount you can actually use? I couldn't be more glad I skipped this ripoff. You could have gone elsewhere and bought the tire for $200, and chances are you won't have another flat anytime soon unless you're driving through construction sites. Complete waste of money IMO.
You are uninformed.

The wheel & tire insurance (at least the one I bought) covers the tires AND damage to the wheel(s). I didn't really buy it for the tires ... I got it because it's easy to trash a wheel with low-profile tires that keep the rim only an inch or so off the pavement. All you need to do is to hit a good pothole and you can bend or break an alloy wheel.

But the tires are expensive, too, and if I get one replaced because it's not repairable ... all the better. And repairs are covered, too, BTW.

So, for my $289., I got 5 years of coverage for wheels and tires, with no limitation on dollar amount. Tires must have 3/32 in. of tread, but otherwise they are covered 100%. Replacement tires are also covered just like the originals.

So, if I never need it, it's still good "sleep insurance". If I DO need it, $289 is cheap, considering that ONE TIRE would pay for the insurance, and ONE WHEEL (I figure around $750 - 800) would make the insurance a really good buy!

(And socalJD - it doesn't have to be a Lexus dealer that repairs or replaces the tire or wheel. You simply need to send them the receipts and they reimburse you.)
Old 08-09-06, 04:40 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I'm uninformed. Go get some curb rash on that wheel and see how much luck you have with the insurance. The insurance is only good for potholes, essentially. They try to sell you on the "what if you get a blowout and it ruins your rim" scenario, but the other 99% of us get flats and pull over immediately with no rim damage.

I guess I'm just a cheapskate, because when the sales person was going through the song and dance with all of the extras, I just said "no" 40 times. No sense in adding ot the bottom line, especially when: a) tires don't last long on this car to begin with, and b) rims are cheaper on E-bay than the policy cost.

It's your money, but to me this is overkill. Might as well have individual insurance for each part of the car that might be damaged over the course of your ownership of it. These policies are HUGE profit centers for dealers, and for good reason.

Hope I don't repost in a few months eating these words.

Last edited by 15951; 08-09-06 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-09-06, 05:30 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I'm uninformed. Go get some curb rash on that wheel and see how much luck you have with the insurance. The insurance is only good for potholes, essentially. They try to sell you on the "what if you get a blowout and it ruins your rim" scenario, but the other 99% of us get flats and pull over immediately with no rim damage.

I guess I'm just a cheapskate, because when the sales person was going through the song and dance with all of the extras, I just said "no" 40 times. No sense in adding ot the bottom line, especially when: a) tires don't last long on this car to begin with, and b) rims are cheaper on E-bay than the policy cost.

It's your money, but to me this is overkill. Might as well have individual insurance for each part of the car that might be damaged over the course of your ownership of it. These policies are HUGE profit centers for dealers, and for good reason.

I live in the northeast where our roads are considerably less friendly to 18" wheels than the roads you drive on in FL. I paid $200 for the insurance expressly for the wheel coverage (up to $1000 over 5 years). Given what OEM wheels cost and the mileage I drive all over the northeast, I won't be surprised one bit if I replace a wheel or two. It just so happens I got a large nail in my tire in an unrepairable location and the insurance covered it...so in either scenario I'd be out at least $200. Now if I hadn't bought the insurance I'd be out $200 and no future protections from exactly this type of lame unforseeable event, but I did buy it and I've got ample $$ available for another 4 years and 9 months should I need it.
Old 08-09-06, 06:18 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

I don't totally disagree with you, and I don't usually buy this kind of thing (nor do I ever buy extended warranties for refrigerators, or service polices for printers, etc.). But I first got this when I bought my Infiniti M45, and found out the rims cost $900 apiece.

At first I didn't buy the policy, but then an acquaintance drove his M45 in New England Spring before last (after the frost damage and before the "repairs"), and he trashed a rim and a tire on some "road imperfections". So he saved over $1,200 during one vacation trip by having the insurance. Frankly, that spooked me, and I went and got it myself.

Now, I've been lucky and haven't used the insurance (at least yet), so when I got rid of the M, I basically switched it over to the IS.

I disagree it is like "individual insurance for each part of the car that might be damaged". I already have insurance for my windshield, fenders, etc., etc., but tires and wheels are constantly exposed to the rigors of the road, and modern lightweight alloy wheels are pretty fragile. Ditto for the low-profile tires we're running. True, they won't cover my stupidity if I run one into a curb or something, but that's not what insurance is designed for anyway. I'm insuriing against things that I can't control. And I still think $289 for 5 years of coverage is pretty cheap insurance!
Old 08-09-06, 07:29 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by G35TOIS350
calm down jeesh.
Dont you understand the pain and hassle that would have caused him.
Old 08-09-06, 11:27 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Mike_Tx,
Just to confirm, you originally bought the tire insurance for your M45 and was able to transfer the policy to the IS ? Also, you originally bought the M45 w/out the insurance, but were able to add it later ? Lastly, is it a 3rd party that is selling the insurance or is it sold by Lexus and administered via a 3rd party ? Sorry for all the Q's, but the more I hear of this, the more I'm thinking it might be a good thing. (and I never buy add'l insurance or ext warranties . . .)