IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

don't mess with the vdim...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 10:48 PM
TAMR_GUS98
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by menech
it's possible...take a sharp 90 degree turn at 20 mph than hit the throttle and it will get loose.
Yeah, where have we seen that before
Old 08-09-06, 11:19 PM
chubbymike
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey jewel, sorry to hear about your car. yeah, be careful next time. I was thinking about disabling it at my next autocross event in 2 weeks, but now i'm having second thoughts. but then it'll be wide open space and cones....hmmm....dilemma.
Old 08-09-06, 11:35 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ichigo
DUDE whats your problem? I think Jewel got the point that its dangerous to drive with the VDIM off... this is evident by the accident. There is no need to repeatedly call Jewel a terrible/foolish driver and continue to patronize by making a reference to Gran Turismo. Please take a step down from your soap box.

I think Jewel's story (although unfortunate) is a good story/lesson for the forum. This is because there is so much whining and moaning about wanting a disable for the VDIM and the casual driver thinks this is the "best" way to go. Unfortunately, accident's like Jewel's happen b/c they aren't trained to handle a high powered car with the electronic stability control off. I hope most of the people who are tempted to turn off VDIM, because they read it on an enthusiast forum, think twice about this.

Jewel, I hope your car gets repaired in a speedy manner and Im glad to hear that you arent hurt at all.
I know I was hard on the guy, but your 2nd paragraph illustrates what my "problem" is exactly. That is all the "casual drivers" wanting to get crazy who neither have the skill to drive like that, nor the common sense on when and where to "expirement" Since there were parked vehicles where he pulled the stunt there are also people on foot, so not only do we have a case here of insufficient driving skill, but also bad judgement. Combine that with 306HP and that is not a good thing. It could have very easily ended up much worse than it did. Unfortunatly, saying stuff like "sorry bro that sucks, good luck, better luck next time" talk isn't enough sometimes and "tough love" is needed, not only for the party involved but other readers wanting to do the same thing.... Stepping off the soap box now.
Old 08-10-06, 12:23 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

VDIM is a great safety feature, but the pedal dance is not qualified to be called a VDIM disable. It's a TRAC/VSC disable.
Old 08-10-06, 01:07 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,064 Likes on 2,461 Posts

I've long maintained the best possible mods are to the driver, not the car. There are any number of high performance driving schools where you can safely probe (and extend) your personal limits. Most people (myself included) tend to think they are better drivers than they really are. One trip to the track will humble any street driver without competition experience. Especially when you get passed by someone who genuinely goes fast. I have never forgotten my first day at Sears Point, long, long, ago on my 500 Interceptor...but I digress.

Anything you do to improve your skills driving is something you keep forever. That set of brakes, shocks, tires, the supercharger/turbo, and anything else you do to a car goes with the car. Driver training stays with you forever. It might save your life or someone else's life because you'll do the right thing by reflex instead of panic. It's really, truly, the best money you'll ever spend on your car.

Then go karting from time to time to keep sharp...it's fun, and the skills directly transfer. So the next time your IS goes sideways on you, you'll do the right thing to avoid the accident or minimize the damage (if there is any) instead of calling a tow truck.
Old 08-10-06, 07:51 AM
richw350
Rookie

This is why the driver aids are there. Most of the drivers on the road, cannot handle this car properly at the limits. The driver aids help with this. For the few that know how to drive the car at the limits, they generally like to be able to turn off the driver aids for some spirited driving.
Old 08-10-06, 08:16 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

First off, I've taken this turn a million times. It's 2 minutes from my old house and I wasn't exactly driving blind. I turned my vdim off for the very first time, most of the 30 mile commute wasn't an issue considering it was mostly highway. I just wanted to see what difference it made with between normal driving and with it turned off. I use to drive a front wheel drive accord coupe... so this IS is really my first real trip into rwd... which isn't really an excuse. I'm 23, I've been driving since 16, and I've only gotten one ticket, and have never been any accidents, and I log over 25k miles a year commuting to/from work and school. I thought I was a pretty good driver... but all that goes out the door when your back end whips around and you don't know how to straighten it out...

i was thinking about it, and i consider myself lucky. If for some odd reason i ended up swirving to my left instead of the right, i would have gone down a 10 foot embankment and things would have been really bad...

anyways, this was originally intended to be a ***** and moan thread, but I'd just like to warn others that vdim isn't necessarily something you want to mess with, even if it's only for a short trip home. Don't mess with it if you aren't really sure what it does =/

I'll keep you guys updated
Old 08-10-06, 08:18 AM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you disable it again?
Old 08-10-06, 08:24 AM
Dabigman
Lead Lap

I used to drive a 2WD Tacoma and I have lost the back on that thing way too many times. The worst was if the ground was slightly wet. I am quite good at controlling losing the back, I suspect from when I used to race quads. Like others have said, you have to have the situational awareness to know the limits of the car given the current road conditions and be prepared. For instance, I always took the outside turn lane during wet conditions in the truck so if the back slid I had room to get it back without sideswiping someone.
Old 08-10-06, 08:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
VDIM is a great safety feature, but the pedal dance is not qualified to be called a VDIM disable. It's a TRAC/VSC disable.
interesting, are you suggesting his VDIM then malfunctioned? lol

:-)
Old 08-10-06, 08:29 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
interesting, are you suggesting his VDIM then malfunctioned? lol

:-)
Nope, but loss of traction will happen when you disable VSC and TRAC and put the pedal to the metal.
Old 08-10-06, 08:29 AM
totoro1224
Driver

Smile

I always think it is a good idea to start with a lower HP RWD car to practice first. Once you know how the RWD system works and when you know how to response to a certain situation, then it is a good time to step up with something more HP. I used to practice alot with my AE86 and S13, and now I am happy with my IS because I need more HP to satisfy my need. Sometime it's kinda dangerous for someone with no experience of RWD and sudden driving in a IS with 306 HP
Old 08-10-06, 08:41 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by silversx
thats why there's gonna be a ton more crashes when the 07 come..
Yup, and insurance rates for '07 will be much higher as well. I hope those that wanted the switch are happy about that too. Can't have it both ways.
Old 08-10-06, 08:49 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Nope, but loss of traction will happen when you disable VSC and TRAC and put the pedal to the metal.
Loss of traction will occur even WITH VSC and TRAC on - just do a donut at WOT (which isn't that far from what Jewel did) and you'll hear the rear tires screaming for mercy... Anyway, sorry to hear about your accident Jewel - especially after you just put your HID's in!!! I hope you know a good body shop to do some quality work. Don't just go for the cheapest estimate - if this is indeed your first accident, it hopefully won't be that big a deal for your insurance rates. Just make sure you get good work done! See you soon,

Javier
Old 08-10-06, 09:00 AM
C280to250
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chubbymike
hey jewel, sorry to hear about your car. yeah, be careful next time. I was thinking about disabling it at my next autocross event in 2 weeks, but now i'm having second thoughts. but then it'll be wide open space and cones....hmmm....dilemma.

I think everyone should take their car to a autocross atleast one time, to see how far you can push your car and your ability to control it.

I have attended alot of drifting track in mid 90's and would love to take the IS to the track but its still new.
When i get to my 4th year i'll be taking though..

Disable the VDM you're in a controlled invironment. you've been doing autocross for awhile now, I don't think you'll have any problem.

Jewel sorry for you Mishap as long as you walk out of it.

peace

Quick Reply: don't mess with the vdim...