IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

don't mess with the vdim...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-06, 09:04 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just wanted to thank Jewel for having the courage to post this in the first place, knowing that the posts with negative remarks regarding ability or intelligence would be inevitable.

This will probably save some other member(s) from having to go through the grief and trouble of getting the car repaired.
Old 08-10-06, 09:17 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

sorry to hear that jewel, hope everything goes all right, I was planning to keep VDIM off when I get my 07 but this is making me think twice. YOU SAVED MY LIFE
Old 08-10-06, 09:42 AM
menech
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TAMR_GUS98
Yeah, where have we seen that before
*cough* hmm that was for educational training purposes to bring to light the age-old question of the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow....

(actually I just love to watch Manny death grip the "oh-*****" handles after I promise I'll drive slow )
Old 08-10-06, 09:43 AM
richw350
Rookie

Originally Posted by C280to250
I think everyone should take their car to a autocross atleast one time, to see how far you can push your car and your ability to control it.
x2

I had a 1994 MR2 Turbo before my IS. It was actually putting down about the same power. I have autocrossed both NA and Turbo MR2's for several years. You will be supprised how much you can learn about your car, the limits, and basic car dynamics. I am thankful for the autocross experience, as it has made me much more comfortable and aware as a driver. Go to a few events and drive with an experienced driver. It will amaze you how much more the car has before you reach the limits, if driven properly.

Glad you are OK.
Old 08-10-06, 09:50 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Or just take it to a large empty parking lot where the only thing that can get hurt is the rubber on your tires.
Old 08-10-06, 09:51 AM
james6290
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
VDIM is a great safety feature, but the pedal dance is not qualified to be called a VDIM disable. It's a TRAC/VSC disable.
how do you disable the vsc?
Old 08-10-06, 10:11 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
Or just take it to a large empty parking lot where the only thing that can get hurt is the rubber on your tires.
It's best to do this with wet pavement. The car reacts the same, but it lets go at a lower speed, so you can get a feel for what it will do with less risk. I still say the school is best. You'll have someone telling you what you are doing wrong and how to improve. It's a LOT harder to just figure it out yourself.

And yeah, thanks for being brave and posting this jewel. It takes a pretty thick skin to post this on the 'Net.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-10-06 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-10-06, 10:25 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

Old 08-10-06, 10:27 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

more pics...

Old 08-10-06, 10:31 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Looks like about a $5k fix at insurance rates. it's ugly to see, but not really too bad to fix.
Old 08-10-06, 11:03 AM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

OUCH!!! my eyes!!
Old 08-10-06, 11:28 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default VDIM incorporates VSC, TRAC and ABS...

combined with the ability to steer the car about 2 degrees on its own. The powerful processor will predict the impending instability after monitoring many sensors. Ironically the VDIM on the IS was designed to allow a little tail slip without much interference. It makes the IS350 with over 80 more horsepower than the IS300 safer at the limits even if the IS300 was one of the few that had VSC. With all of the advice to go to a performance driving school the instructors will usually tell the students never to turn off the stability control while on the courses. They know all too well what will happen. I have driven the GS430 in fresh snow and it was like a pro drifter experience on a parking lot without the tire wear. VDIM is your friend. The Bimmer doesn't have it. Just say no to the new cutout switch. Would hypnosis help??

Rock
Old 08-10-06, 11:40 AM
ICSFSEDoD
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by silversx
thats why there's gonna be a ton more crashes when the 07 come..

i mean how can anyone resist turning off vdim and try it out when there's a button there

and then they can't handle the power and slide the back out and hit a curb or parked car...

oh well
Which will be great for the rest of us that actually know how to drive, but get penalized with high insurance rates for the clucks that can't drive and crash.
Old 08-10-06, 12:32 PM
jsteinwald
Rookie

jewel, thanks so much for posting this. I've been lurking on these forums for a few months now and just picked up my IS350 with Sport package on Saturday. I was getting ready to head out of my office now for a meeting and have a long curved road between my location and the meeting. I was just looking up how to disable VDIM for that short ride to test the car. Luckily, I saw your post. You've definitely convinced me not to turn off VDIM under normal driving conditions.

Thanks again!!!
Old 08-10-06, 12:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The average Lexus customer will never fiddle with the thing. The real problem is there are only two groups who might: the ones who have learned (the hard way) how to drive high powered RWD, and the (typically) young, overconfident, previous FWD pilots who will find out what the rest of us learned by bouncing off stuff. Because we did it too at some point. I can only say I've been exceptionally fortunate with my Supra on the occasions where it decided to dramatically change heading when I wasn't expecting it.

The other thing is VDIM is really pretty good at letting you drive. It's absolutely LEAGUES better than the TRAC Toyota put on the Supra in '93. I could go on and on about how poor that system is, but the important thing is VDIM is pretty darned good straight out of the box. It doesn't interfere until you get the car moving around a bit, and even then it's more of a gentle nudge than a complete shutdown the way TRAC in '93 was.

Hopefully the insurance claim numbers will be statistically insignificant.

Quick Reply: don't mess with the vdim...