IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

don't mess with the vdim...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-06, 12:57 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

although I've never tried deactivating the VDIM, I've had several instances when the VDIM/VCS kicked in while I was making a turn at moderate speed, on a dry surface. It felt weird as the car suddenly lost power. My G35C was the same way. Even with sticky summer tires, these cars still have more power than traction. I can't imagine what's going to happen when '07's come with an on/off switch for the VDIM
Old 08-10-06, 12:58 PM
jcreech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love VDIM off. Heading to Infineon raceway soon. No way it will be on there.
Old 08-10-06, 01:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Originally Posted by jlin101
although I've never tried deactivating the VDIM, I've had several instances when the VDIM/VCS kicked in while I was making a turn at moderate speed, on a dry surface. It felt weird as the car suddenly lost power. My G35C was the same way. Even with sticky summer tires, these cars still have more power than traction. I can't imagine what's going to happen when '07's come with an on/off switch for the VDIM
That sounds weird. I had all four tires complaining loudly on a off ramp last night at about 45 mph and it didn't feel anything like you describe. I just balanced the car with the throttle and drove around the turn. It let me slip just enough, but didn't jump in and try to take over like the old TRAC does.
Old 08-10-06, 02:27 PM
dana_daen
Driver

daam, sorry to hear about your antics Jewel , I hope all works out for you with insurance and rentals etc.

I now have no regrets of not being patient enough for the 07. If this car is so potent when the safeties are off....well I"m glad I have do to a tedious pedal dance in order to by-pass it instead of just lazylee touching a button. With the button it would be too easy to just turn it off, the dance is well just an inconvenience. I am no talented high speed driver ( that I know of). The button was the only reason I was gonna wait for 07.

Thanks for allowing me to learn from your misfortune, I'm sure others will also. I know that sounds funny or odd, but I mean it in a positive way. Keep your head up.

daen

Last edited by dana_daen; 08-10-06 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-10-06, 03:27 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

so i took it to a body shop, they're estimating 3500+ to fix it. That includes the clear bra etc...
so much for doing it under the table, gotta bring insurance in on this one =/
Old 08-10-06, 03:39 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That sounds weird. I had all four tires complaining loudly on a off ramp last night at about 45 mph and it didn't feel anything like you describe. I just balanced the car with the throttle and drove around the turn. It let me slip just enough, but didn't jump in and try to take over like the old TRAC does.
I have the same experience on on/offramps. I can get a slight power-on drift without the VDIM kicking in. I have yet to have it intervene but I haven't done anything abruptly, which is when I think it kicks in.

I had the same issue on my G. On easy right hand turns, dry, warm, and at the speed limit, VDC would kick in and scare the crap out of me. Car rags had the same experience. One of the reasons I sold that car.
Old 08-10-06, 03:43 PM
silversx
Driver

how come your 350 came with 17s.. i didnt know in cali 17s were even an option

or does your ca mean canada

sorry bout the car.. fixable tho.. and dont think there would be frame damage.. all cosmetic
Old 08-10-06, 04:34 PM
chubbymike
Driver

Originally Posted by imaputz
OUCH!!! my eyes!!

me too!!!
sorry man! it's just so painful to see!
Old 08-10-06, 04:40 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunate that happened, but other CL members will be more careful as a result.

I've been tempted to disable the control, but was going to wait until the snow came and I could try it out in a large parking lot at low speeds. (That's how I taught myself how to drive a rwd car in the snow when I first started driving--I learned the art of countersteering and also how little control you have if you are going too fast). The AWD and lower hp on my car might make for a different dynamic than the 350.

Just curious though what you said to your insurance company, and what they said to you. If you have Allstate, ask them if this qualifies under their new accident forgiveness plan.
Old 08-10-06, 04:45 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

i just told them i accelerated through the turn and lost control. They only gave me 255 characters :X
my car was special ordered with 17"s, i drive a lot so it was more economical
Old 08-10-06, 08:23 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by james6290
how do you disable the vsc?
The pedal dance which people keep confusing with "VDIM OFF" which there is no such thing. The pedal dance sequence is to disable VSC/TRAC simultaneously. It's a sequence which works on IS250 models which don't have VDIM at all.
Old 08-10-06, 08:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by jewel
I just did a quick estimate on my work computer just based off of the pictures you posted. A complete teardown will give a better idea of what else is damaged. So far what I wrote at SD labor rates for body, refinish of $43/hr. Labor rates vary by ins. co and body shops in SD County. I have a prelim. of $2300.00. The most expensive part on my estimate is your Headlamp assembly (granted you have HID w/AFS) for $516.02 list price. This is all with new parts and R&I'ing some of the existing parts. Depending on your carrier, it maybe cost effective to reman. your bumper cover or exchange it with an LKQ (like kind quality) aka used part. If your carrier suggests aftermarket replacement parts...tell them no.

Whos your carrier?
Old 08-10-06, 09:40 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

i still can't get over certain car magazines 'complaining' about vdim. i guess those particular mags don't put safety first.

i've personally disabled vsc/trac once, maybe twice. yea i kicked loose the tires and went alil buck wild. not going to do it anytime soon again. doing the defeat code is like letting a lion out of the cage.
Old 08-10-06, 10:01 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

ameriprise is my carrier

i talked to amato's in sorrento valley today, they're saying around 3500
Old 08-11-06, 12:46 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by menech
it's possible...take a sharp 90 degree turn at 20 mph than hit the throttle and it will get loose.
Yea, it'll do that even with VDIM on.

Quick Reply: don't mess with the vdim...