IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

don't mess with the vdim...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-06, 04:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
The 07 will also have a foglight on indicator to accompany the headlight on indicator in the cluster.
Since the gauge data is all on the CAN bus, it might be possible to swap units and have the upgrades work. I guess we'll have to wait for someone to total an '07 to find out though...
Old 08-13-06, 09:22 PM
suprafrank
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear what happened. It happened to my 350z. I didn't get use to the rear end power of 350z and boom, it fish-tailed and....... And it was less than one week old. I learned my lesson to get used to the car's ability and performance before I drive fast and furious. After I got used to 350z's ability, I was even doing little drifting with my 350z when turning in the street in NYC.
Old 08-13-06, 09:30 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

Maybe its the altitude or the rough concrete here in Utah but i just cant get the *** end to swing out...and yes I have the VDIM shut off
Old 08-13-06, 10:56 PM
optical_X
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by imaputz
eeeek.. sorry to hear about that jewel... i didn't expect is350 to fishtail so much at 20mph
I just experienced the same thing this weekend, without the crash. I took a sharp turn at 30mph from a standstill, gave it some gas and did almost a 270-degree turn.
Old 09-22-06, 08:40 AM
jewel
Lead Lap

I get my baby back today!

only cost me 500 bucks deductible, but i think it cost the insurance $4571.

I'll post pics when i get it back.
Old 09-22-06, 08:46 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It's best to do this with wet pavement. The car reacts the same, but it lets go at a lower speed, so you can get a feel for what it will do with less risk. I still say the school is best. You'll have someone telling you what you are doing wrong and how to improve. It's a LOT harder to just figure it out yourself.

And yeah, thanks for being brave and posting this jewel. It takes a pretty thick skin to post this on the 'Net.
Wouldn't rain be bad since that extra surface is unpredictable?
If I'm wrong, please teach me.

I've never been able to accurately place a car in the wet, I can do it in the dry at higher speeds, but I've always failed at the wet. Perhaps it's my mind...
Old 09-22-06, 08:53 AM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Wouldn't rain be bad since that extra surface is unpredictable?
If I'm wrong, please teach me.

I've never been able to accurately place a car in the wet, I can do it in the dry at higher speeds, but I've always failed at the wet. Perhaps it's my mind...

it's not that it's unpredictable.. it's just that the coefficient of friction decreases...

all he's trying to say is that... you can have the feeling of losing grip at lower speeds which is safer since you're not going as fast... now if you were slide at a higher speed it would be dangerous... both ways are dangerous.. but to get the back to kick at lower speeds on rainy days.... makes trip to the grocery store a thrill~
Old 09-22-06, 08:55 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

I don't think it's only the coefficient of friction decreasing, but a totally new surface. In effect it's a lubricant with predictable properties right?

How do you combat sideways hydroplaning?

At least with dry surface I can use throttle...
Old 09-22-06, 10:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

If you go to a driving school, they will put you on a wet skidpad to learn car control. The surface is quite predictable, the turns are sharp enough that you need not worry about hydroplaning, and the feel of the car sliding at 30 mph is identical to the feel of the car sliding at 130 mph. The things you need to learn to correct, control, and maintain the slide are also identical. The only difference is the distance you travel while these events are occurring.

Practical example:

To learn braking control, you practice lock up exercises at low speeds where the likelihood of damage or injury is small (and so is the damage to the tires). Once you learn what a locked wheel feels like, it won't matter what speed you are going, you'll feel that distictive feel and know the wheel is locked and you'll respond by releasing the brake to get the wheels to spin again, then clamp on the brakes just as soon as you regain rotation to continue slowing. It requires a great amount of attention to learn, but just like operating a manual transmission, over time and experience, it requires less attention so you have reserve to deal with whatever is going on in front of you or around you.

The exact same thing is true for skids. As you gain experience, the amount of attention you focus on controlling the skid becomes smaller, and your ability to cope with multiple inputs to properly prioritise them gets better. The key thing for driving fast is to make as many activities as possible very low cost. This lets you have the attention you need to deal with the most important variables - course, heading, and traction.

Seriously, you'll be WAY ahead to invest in a driving school. You'll be a better driver in anything you drive, AND you'll be surprised at how much more you'll appreciate the things Toyota did to make your IS fun to drive.
Old 09-22-06, 10:24 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

I've been doing a lot of work just right short of going to a real driving school, that's saved for another year or two when I can take my sister with me as well so she'll benefit as well.

My inability to control myself in the wet must lie with a psychological problem then. I remember the first time I lost control of the car was in the rain too... Damn human psyche.
Old 09-22-06, 11:22 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The first lesson you will learn at the track is how slow street driving really is. I've only known a very few people who went to the track and were able to go fast right away. Most of us learn the hard way that we know almost nothing about driving genuinely fast on our first track day.

I am by no means an expert driver, but I've turned a few laps at a number of tracks, and I have a pretty good idea where my limits are, and where my machine's limits are. Needless to say, the machine's limits are often higher than mine.
Old 12-17-06, 11:57 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey does anyone know if the IS models at the taste of lexus event were 07's or 06's? i drove the IS350 really hard and the car felt planted, the tail didnt move at all.
Old 12-18-06, 06:23 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
Maybe its the altitude or the rough concrete here in Utah but i just cant get the *** end to swing out...and yes I have the VDIM shut off
Same here. Except I live at sea level in South Florida. Maybe it's the surface of the road combined with low miles and Bridgestone RE050's. The rear tires will NOT break traction. I can enter a 90 degree turn and nail it to the floor and the tail will not come out. The car will not spin the tires in a straight line on good, dry pavement. It'll barely spin on wet pavement. This is all with TRC and VSC turned off. There's nothing wrong with the car as it has gobs of power and gobs of traction. I'm told this will all change when the car breaks in and the tires wear a little.
Old 12-18-06, 06:45 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
hey does anyone know if the IS models at the taste of lexus event were 07's or 06's? i drove the IS350 really hard and the car felt planted, the tail didnt move at all.
07s - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...taste+of+lexus

Koz
Old 12-18-06, 12:04 PM
omgitsroy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AM1
i did not go but i think the course was setup so you don't spin out or loose traction.. meaning even if you were pushing it hard..you're not actually reaching the cars limit since the course is restrictive... i can get the tail to slide... if you angle enough and throttle enough.. it will come out..

Quick Reply: don't mess with the vdim...