IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

don't mess with the vdim...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-06, 08:17 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default don't mess with the vdim... (pics added 3rd page)

I just turned it on for the first time and i messed up my bumper, right head light, and right front panel..
good game me.

took a turn, and someone started fishtailing... i swear on my mom i was going no faster than 20, but i somehow managed to hit a parked RV. no damage at all to rv, ****load to my is...

so, this is gonna probably be 5000 dollars worth of fixing... anyone know what the procedure is for this?
I take it to dealer for estimate, do they give me a loaner? or do they not do lonaders for stupidity?

barely a month old too...

Last edited by jewel; 08-10-06 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-09-06, 08:26 PM
menech
Lead Lap

Unhappy

ouch sorry to hear that

Yah disabling VDIM when you aren't used to 300HP RWD leads to bad things Its pretty easy to kick that rear end out...

I suggest getitng a couple of estimates...are you going through your insurance company? Unless you have rental car coverage on your insurance a body shop is more than likely not going to provide you with a rental.

Also try finding some local body shops instead of the dealer if you have to repaint some panels.
Old 08-09-06, 08:39 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default VDIM rules but magazine hacks don't have to pay for

damages if they get out of shape on the ol' skidpad. I'm feelin' your pain much like the time I experimented with an IS300 with the Traction Control switch off in the rain and it took me about ten minutes to total it! Since everyone wants full manual control the '07's will have a cut out switch for VDIM and VSC. Use sparingly and when you have a lot of room folks.....Sorry Jewel.

Rock
Old 08-09-06, 08:41 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

The bumber looks fine minus the paint, the front right quarter is smashed in at the tip with some nasty scrapes, the light has to be completely replaced...

pics to follow =/
Old 08-09-06, 08:42 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jewel
I just turned it on for the first time and i messed up my bumper, right head light, and right front panel..
good game me.

took a turn, and someone started fishtailing... i swear on my mom i was going no faster than 20, but i somehow managed to hit a parked RV. no damage at all to rv, ****load to my is...

so, this is gonna probably be 5000 dollars worth of fixing... anyone know what the procedure is for this?
I take it to dealer for estimate, do they give me a loaner? or do they not do lonaders for stupidity?

barely a month old too...
I think you mean that you turned it OFF for first time. Low speed corners are where you are most likely to lose traction, for sure.

Warranty stuff you get loaners for generally. I don't suspect that this will be warrenty stuff, do you?

Check with your fair, friendly State Farm agent (or whoever carries your insurancee(
Old 08-09-06, 08:47 PM
The Chad
Driver

If your insurance company is covering it, they'll usually give you money to rent a car, as long as it's part of your policy. Glad no one was hurt.
Old 08-09-06, 08:49 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

eeeek.. sorry to hear about that jewel... i didn't expect is350 to fishtail so much at 20mph
Old 08-09-06, 09:00 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear about that. yeah i tried it for awhile too and decided not to turn it off anymore because i had trouble stopping as quickly as i was used to.
Old 08-09-06, 09:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

It might be a good idea to either take a high performance driving school or hit a local kart track.

To fix the car, take it where you want it repaired, or contact your insurance company to submit a claim and find out what they require to get the car fixed. Loaner will depend on insurance. If you don't have rental coverage, you'll be renting a car for a minute while they pull it apart, assess the damage, order parts, receive them, install, and paint them.
Old 08-09-06, 09:19 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Lost control at <=20mph? Either you are a terrible driver or you were going significanly faster than 20mph when the back end started to come loose.

In any case, good luck with the repairs. Generally your insuracne company will suggest body shops to take it to, but you can pick one of your own if you want to.
Old 08-09-06, 09:21 PM
silversx
Driver

thats why there's gonna be a ton more crashes when the 07 come..

i mean how can anyone resist turning off vdim and try it out when there's a button there

and then they can't handle the power and slide the back out and hit a curb or parked car...

oh well
Old 08-09-06, 09:27 PM
menech
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ramon
Lost control at <=20mph? Either you are a terrible driver or you were going significanly faster than 20mph when the back end started to come loose.

In any case, good luck with the repairs. Generally your insuracne company will suggest body shops to take it to, but you can pick one of your own if you want to.
it's possible...take a sharp 90 degree turn at 20 mph than hit the throttle and it will get loose.
Old 08-09-06, 09:37 PM
jewel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by menech
it's possible...take a sharp 90 degree turn at 20 mph than hit the throttle and it will get loose.

thats exactly what happened... i was completely through the turn and i lost it... i looked at the skid marks
Old 08-09-06, 10:07 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I know it's possible, and if it happened under those conditions, then you would fall under the "terrible driver" classification. Or foolish driver if you prefer?

If you lost control of your vehicle at that low of a speed it is obvious you aren't quite the high performance driver you may have thought you were. In which case if you wanted to "test" out the car or yourself, it should have been done in a more wide open space so you can learn how the car reacts under those conditions. This isn't Gran Turismo where you can simply bounce off the wall or another car and keep going in a straight line.
Old 08-09-06, 10:46 PM
Ichigo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ramon
I know it's possible, and if it happened under those conditions, then you would fall under the "terrible driver" classification. Or foolish driver if you prefer?

If you lost control of your vehicle at that low of a speed it is obvious you aren't quite the high performance driver you may have thought you were. In which case if you wanted to "test" out the car or yourself, it should have been done in a more wide open space so you can learn how the car reacts under those conditions. This isn't Gran Turismo where you can simply bounce off the wall or another car and keep going in a straight line.
DUDE whats your problem? I think Jewel got the point that its dangerous to drive with the VDIM off... this is evident by the accident. There is no need to repeatedly call Jewel a terrible/foolish driver and continue to patronize by making a reference to Gran Turismo. Please take a step down from your soap box.

I think Jewel's story (although unfortunate) is a good story/lesson for the forum. This is because there is so much whining and moaning about wanting a disable for the VDIM and the casual driver thinks this is the "best" way to go. Unfortunately, accident's like Jewel's happen b/c they aren't trained to handle a high powered car with the electronic stability control off. I hope most of the people who are tempted to turn off VDIM, because they read it on an enthusiast forum, think twice about this.

Jewel, I hope your car gets repaired in a speedy manner and Im glad to hear that you arent hurt at all.

Quick Reply: don't mess with the vdim...