IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

shift knobs

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-06, 07:09 PM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default shift *****

i was interested in changing the shift **** but i was gonna order one from momo and a local motorsport shop said that the shaft that you screw the **** on to is a bit smaller than the usual automatic shift *****. does anyone know what kinds will fit?
Old 08-10-06, 09:14 PM
stevejenn1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, which Momo **** are you considering?
Old 08-11-06, 03:41 AM
jsquared
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its called Automatic... comes in aluminum or black... part no. AUTOALU/AUTOBLK i think...
Old 11-06-06, 05:21 PM
yelnoc
Rookie

Default Carbon Fiber for Me

I traded my 02 Mustand GT recently for a 03 GS 430 - I bought a solid, real carbon fiber shifter when I got this Ford and a matching, not real carbon fiber dash kit. I too am looking for something besides my stock **** - maybe it goes back to the first mod I ever did for my 1961 Covair Monza, which was a big old chrome ****, about 2.5" in diameter. Anyway I have been looking for a carbon fiber **** - I don't care if it doesn't match the rest of the wood trim in the 430. So I found this in my surfing and have had to join the stupid Bimmer Forum to email the owner to find out where it came from. I like it. I can't find any thing that is solid, real?, carbon fiber, and I have really looked. Anyway check this one out.
Attached Thumbnails shift knobs-morecars019.jpg  
Old 11-06-06, 05:50 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I doubt you would ever find a "solid carbon fiber" shift ****, since carbon fiber is a cloth used to make shells that mimic solid components, thus producing the weight savings. There are two types of CF components: 1) FRP wrapped in CF; shift *****, pens, and most everything else that is advertised as "carbon fiber" is of this type of construction, and 2) replacement body parts like hoods and fenders, which are pressed and moulded, then coated with epoxy and/or urethane for the gloss finish. What I would want to make sure of is not whether it's "solid carbon fiber" or not, but whether it's real carbon fiber or not.

Oh, by the way, that's a VERY nice shift **** - I like really like it!

Javier
Old 11-06-06, 06:33 PM
yelnoc
Rookie

Default Post and learn

That makes sense - so it must be the "real" carbon fiber ***** must be the cloth wrapped around a center piece of sorts. My Mustang **** looks quite a bit like this, but has the horse inside the 5-speed pattern. I'll post about that Bimmer **** once I get the dope on it. I like the look on dash kits, but would hesitate to put something with carbon fiber "look" to replace the wood. The dash kit for the Mustang was fine, fit perfect, but not the class of what I would demand for my 430. The whole dash kit was $250, but the **** alone was over $150 if I remember.

Also on the Bimmer site were some really nice carbon fiber interior parts, rear view mirror cases, and this grill - from Thailand. Have not seen similar for our cars. I am also looking for a grill, but so far in the posts nothing except the mesh ones do much for me - one like this one would be nice.

Thanks for the info.

RC
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-06, 10:29 PM
cc16ue
Pit Crew

i got a razo shift **** that fits perfectly into my IS