IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Transmission a little rough?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 11:54 AM
BlitzIS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once in a while the car tends to hang in the a certain gear without shifting up and the end result is that the needle is bouncing off the limiter for a sec or two. i actually have to let off the gas for it to shift into the next gear....is that a common thing??
Old 09-27-06, 02:14 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

I have a 350 and every now and again I notice an "odd" shift and it's usually completely random. It can happen at slow city speeds and even highway cruising where i'll feel a slight shudder for no apparent reason. It seems to intermitant for me to be able to take to the dealer. Hopefully if something breaks, it happens within the warrany period.
Old 09-28-06, 05:48 AM
vlkcheng
Driver School Candidate

I noticed my gear box skips 3rd gear when I brake. I jumps to 4th to 2nd but it's not rough at all.
Old 07-10-07, 03:02 AM
TheMirage
Driver School Candidate

Default IS300, yes 300

I own an IS300, Not sure which gearbox it has but the engine is 3.05L delivering 228HP.

I'm also experiencing a gearbox (transmission) jerkiness between the first gear and the second ONLY on vary low speeds. Most noticeably when I softly break to a vary low speed then softly accelerate. For example, when entering a ramp or looking for parking space in busy parking lot.

I mentioned it to the dealer when I took the car two weeks ago for the first 1000KM (625Mile) initial maitenance and they responded by saying that it's absolutely normal.

I think a Lexus should be closer to perfection.

I'm traveling back home this weekend and I'll have a chance to drive a friend's IS300, who don't seem to have this problem. I'll have to try it myself.

The other gears work like there are no gears... seamless
Old 07-10-07, 04:30 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a 250 loaner and the first thing I noticed (that was different) was the way it shifted. If you are accelerating fast (in the 250) and you let up on the gas just before it up shifted the trans would just hold the lower gear and the engine would drag the car down, where the 350 would shift easier. Also I noticed the 250 would down shift from 6th to 5th with the slightest application of the throttle, at cruising speed. The trans may have needed to learn my driving style (only 500 miles on the loaner).

Koz
Old 07-10-07, 06:46 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheMirage
I own an IS300, Not sure which gearbox it has but the engine is 3.05L delivering 228HP.
I assume you purchased your IS300 (2nd Gen IS) out of the country?
Old 07-10-07, 08:43 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by BounceNY
I assume you purchased your IS300 (2nd Gen IS) out of the country?
Confused me, too. The IS300 is only available in the Middle East and Asia Pacific regions, and I don't believe it has been certified for importation into the US. My best guess is that he's currently residing in Texas, but his home and car are overseas.
Old 07-10-07, 09:02 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bichon
Confused me, too. The IS300 is only available in the Middle East and Asia Pacific regions, and I don't believe it has been certified for importation into the US. My best guess is that he's currently residing in Texas, but his home and car are overseas.
Yea actually thats what I was thinking too, but figured I'd ask just in case...
Old 07-10-07, 10:40 AM
Fleainat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dan206
Mine jerks going down from 2 to 1 i have noticed...
that's great to hear because mine has always done this too, especially in slow traffic...
Old 07-10-07, 10:59 AM
trio
Driver

my downshifts are usually fine. however, going from 2-3 and 3-4 is usually jerky unless i'm slightly aggressive with the gas
Old 07-10-07, 11:38 AM
hachi108
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem. I notice a rough shift between 1-2. All other shifting is fine. just the 1-2. I already brought it into the dealership at 5K and they said "everything was fine". I guess I'm not alone.

2007 IS250
Old 09-18-07, 01:35 AM
CASANOVA
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue. My 08 IS350 does the same thing both upshift from 1-2nd gear and down shift from 2-1st gear. It shift from 1st to 2nd rough and with a jerk motion, and on down shift from 2nd to 1st gear there is a thug sound and feeling of being rear ended. Although these issues seems to be tolerable but I don't think it is normal. I hope it does not create a transmission issue over the time.

I have driven older vehicles and the transmission shift smoothly than my new vehicle. Anyway, I will address my issue once I take it for the first initial inspection and see what they will say.
Old 09-18-07, 02:07 AM
A.C Milan
Lead Lap

yes i do feel the 1-2 jump.

I'm also experiencing a gearbox (transmission) jerkiness between the first gear and the second ONLY on vary low speeds. Most noticeably when I softly break to a vary low speed then softly accelerate. For example, when entering a ramp or looking for parking space in busy parking lot.

I mentioned it to the dealer when I took the car two weeks ago for the first 1000KM (625Mile) initial maitenance and they responded by saying that it's absolutely normal.

I think a Lexus should be closer to perfection.

I'm traveling back home this weekend and I'll have a chance to drive a friend's IS300, who don't seem to have this problem. I'll have to try it myself.

The other gears work like there are no gears... seamless
hey buddy

i have a 2IS300 too and it acts the same as you described,i guess it's normal?

Last edited by A.C Milan; 09-18-07 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-27-08, 06:00 PM
Duke02
Driver

my trans seems to shift rougher than when I got it. I remember when I first got the car my father was floored at how smooth the auto shifted (I have the 350 by the way). Granted, it was still in the break in period, so I babied it, but I notice rougher shifts now even when I'm not driving aggressively.

A few patterns I noticed:
under light acceleration, the trans seems to clunk from 5-6

Under moderate acceleration, the car seems to sometimes surge into gear. I don't know if surge is the right word, so let me describe it. it's not as though the rpms are surging like the trans is slipping, more like the trans doesn't have enough slip, like the shift is easier to feel.

I brought it to the dealer for these two and they said shifting as designed and reset the transmission control module. it seemed to get better but now is back.

this past weekend I drove about 1200 highway miles. I noticed that at highway speeds under moderate acceleration, the car would shift a little strange from 5-6

I fully acknowledge that I am OCD and worry about every detail and that all cars are complex and therefore things are bound to be inconsistent from time to time, but I'm concerned that it seems to be getting worse.