IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

regret buying is350?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 04:22 PM
t.is350.h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I think you going to far.......He only asked if you guy regret buying the IS350.
Old 08-31-06, 10:06 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Maybe you missed the weight of the engine in your M5. It's nearly 600 lbs, and it's not nearly as powerful as the Corvette engine that only weighs 435 lbs. Steve Dinan put it on a weight reduction as soon as he got it and pulled out over 60lbs for their racecar with plans to take off more to get it "competitive" in the class. If that isn't overweight and underpowered, I don't know what is.
Last time I check M5 do not compete with Corvette.

Show me M5's competition that weighs less. The CLS63 and E63 all weighs more than the M5. The Quattroporte weighs 4375 LB with a 4.2 V8. The M5 weighs a mere 4012 LB.

Next time you want to reply at least do some homework.
Old 08-31-06, 10:11 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

It should never depend on luck. It's the hallmark of a manufacturer with quality problems they refuse to solve.
I think you should look at Toyota's recent track record before you should speak.

Toyota isn't saint either. Look what they done with the engine sludge problem. I don't see them proactive solving that either. It took many years plus legal action to get Toyota to react.

Every car company is the same. It's always about $$$$$.

I had more problem with my 2 lexus than my 4 BMW. Although all of them were minor. May be i should say that I am very unlucky to have two slightly worse lexus. Or should i say that I am extremely lucky that none of the 4 BMW has blown up on me.

The reality is that BMW quality isn't as poor as a lot of die hard lexus owner made it out to be. Lexus quality in recent year hasn't been that super great either.
Old 08-31-06, 10:22 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

^^ tell it to JD Powers, they've obviously got it all wrong. Lexus still leads in initial quality.

AFA engines, it's pretty simple. BMW markets superior engineering but can't produce 500 reliable hp with an engine under 578 lbs. That's not what I call superior engineering. I ooohhed and ahhhhed at a huge write up I got from SAE on the M5 engine about how cool the technology is, then I got to the end and saw that big, fat, unnecessarily heavy installed weight and shook my head.

You might want to compare by similar models. I don't care what the engine goes in, if it's overweight, it's overweight and I'll call it that way. Are you saying it wouldn't be a better car if it weighed 3862 instead of 4012?

I have done my homework. Insulting, condescending remarks don't make you right.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-31-06 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-31-06, 10:49 PM
chiawei
Intermediate

^^ tell it to JD Powers, they've obviously got it all wrong. Lexus still leads in initial quality.

AFA engines, it's pretty simple. BMW markets superior engineering but can't produce 500 reliable hp with an engine under 578 lbs. That's not what I call superior engineering. I ooohhed and ahhhhed at a huge write up I got from SAE on the M5 engine about how cool the technology is, then I got to the end and saw that big, fat, unnecessarily heavy installed weight and shook my head.

You might want to compare by similar models. I don't care what the engine goes in, if it's overweight, it's overweight and I'll call it that way. Are you saying it wouldn't be a better car if it weighed 3862 instead of 4012?

I have done my homework. Insulting remarks don't make you right.
Again, you are compare orange to apple.

When does compare a 7.0 pushrod V8 with realtive low compression ratio to a high-rev high compression ratio DOHC V10 makes sense?

In addition you are also wrong with weight figure.

S85 weight 529 lbs. LS7 on the corvette weighs 443 LB.

The difference is that in order for S85 to withstand 12:1 compression ratio, BMW has to use Iron block. Your LS7 with much less compression ratio can go to Aluminum block.

Superior engineering? When does a pushrod OHV 7.0L V8 that produce 505HP is superior and advance compare to a 5.0 V10 that produce 507 HP?

Big fat and unecessary heavy installed? What heck are you talking about? You are comparing an aluminum block to a much heavier Iron block. That's where the weight is. Big??? Fat?

BTW, aluminum block are usually at least 1/3 lighter than similar sized Iron block. In other words, take that into consideration, if BMW has made S85 with aluminum block, the S85 would weigh at most 353 LB vs 443 LB mammoth LS7.

That my friend is the truth.

JD power is a consumer survey that count major engine problem same weight as I-drive slow response. Take a quick look at recent recall done on the Toyota 6 speed automatic and tell me straight up that Toyota/lexus quality are at level where it used to be.

Again simple truth.

Insult is applicable when someone's post lacks knowledge and research behind it. It is also applied when someone insist on comparing aluminum pushrod V8 to an iron block DOHC V10 as same class.

BTW, you can go dig up how fat and how useless heavy the Lambo V10 is as well. I guess based on your reasoning, Lambo's V10 is also a piece of trash compare to your super superior pushrod 7.0 V8.
Old 08-31-06, 11:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Lamborghini makes farm implements. The only reason Lamborghini makes a car is because old man Lamborghini got pissed off at Enzo's response to his criticism of a Ferrari. Yes, they are not great cars.

You should read more. Yes, I got the weight wrong, but it sure isn't a cast iron block my friend. You're just being another BMW technosnob by claiming some advantage from an engine rated at 507PS (not HP) that's 100 lbs overweight.

Click here for an education.

The 5.0-L V10’s crankcase, shown here with crankshaft and bedplate, is made with a low-pressure gravity die-casting method using hypereutectic aluminum-silicon alloy containing a minimum 17% of silicon.
Looks like we're both showing some ignorance here, eh?

Sorry, but BMW are not the end all of engineering. They are undoubtedly great at marketing, but I've worked on some of their stuff, and after having done a few things with them, I decided to tell the marketing department I'm just not interested. Again, I haven't seen a spun rod bearing on a Toyota engine, especially a performance engine, but they were definitely a problem for BMW in their recent history. This is the same company that built an engine that self destructs for a 50 cent o-ring and costs $2k to repair. That's truly brilliant engineering if you're making your money as a mechanic.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-31-06 at 11:23 PM.