IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Headers/TRD

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 06:01 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by l1tech
Where do you think Texas got it's smog laws and procedures from, you guessed it good ole CA.
They may have modelled some of their smog laws after Cali's older laws, but they still don't do sniffer testing on OBD-II cars even in big cities. Here in Dallas, they just plug into the OBD-II port to see if everything check out. My last instpection in my S2000 was without a cat (just a simulator).
Old 08-15-06, 06:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,052 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Originally Posted by l1tech
I was a smog tech for many years in CA until just recently and I have never heard of such a thing. It's true that it is illegal to remove it but you don't have to have any paperwork as to why you did it.
That's from the law. It may well not be enforced, but the law very clearly states you need documentation to prove the cat was damaged or not working.

From here.

Companies that install aftermarket catalysts have no reporting requirements but must keep copies of installation invoices and records for 6 months that show the reason an aftermarket catalyst installation was permissible. A technical change is made to note that the warranty period for the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) converter originally installed on the vehicle is 8 years/80,000 miles starting with the 1995 model year. Therefore, aftermarket or reconditioned converters generally cannot be installed on such vehicles until the vehicles are at least 8 (eight) years old, or have accumulated 80,000 miles of service life. Removed catalysts must be tagged with identifying information and be retained for 15 days.
That's for the shop. They have similar requirments for individuals, but as I said, they only enforce this when they are looking for something to hang a shop or an individual.
Old 08-15-06, 07:58 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't take this the wrong way lobuxracer as it is not meant in any negative form, but what is your actual experience with the state smog laws. Are you just quoting them or do you have actual intimate experience with them as either a smog technician or a shop owner who is answering to the state. I have been the smog tech many a time that has had to answer to the state as to why I did a certain procedure the way I did it, and believe me I know just how far the rules can be..shall we say bent. In California all automotive repair facilities are required to keep work orders a minimum of 2 years if memory serves me correctly regardless of the type of repair, and on that work order you clearly have to state why any repair was performed. Granted the smog laws are tough, and there is good reason for it but they aren't as bad as many people make them out to be
Old 08-15-06, 09:40 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,052 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Neither tech nor owner. There's no money in working on cars or bikes. I did that part time for awhile. Built a lot of engines, did a lot of cylinder head work and saw too many broke check bouncers for my taste.

My actual experience has been smogging the cars I've owned, smogging friends cars, and tuning them to pass smog. My Supra has been required to test at test only stations for the last three times because the Supra has a "high emitter" profile. Not me, not anyone I know, but because DMV has determined Supras need to be inspected more carefully. IMHO it's just another TAX I pay especially when I still see oil smoke belching cars driving down the road daily.

Not meant in a negative way, but the law I quoted is Federal, not State. It applies to all 50 states, but it is not enforced well as you have alluded. It's entirely up to the shop owner how strictly or loosely the laws are followed. But it was pretty distressing when the police raided a smog shop with full SWAT gear, and had a TV news crew shooting the whole thing. They wanted to be sure they made an example of the guy. Right here in Sacramento. They made a huge deal about him passing cars that did not meet standards. I suspect it was for shock value, but if you lived here, you'd have a different perspective of the whole situation. Car enthusiasts who live in Fremont know exactly what I mean too.
Old 08-16-06, 01:02 AM
ChrisChow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They look specifically for the cats. You can't design a good header with the position of the OEM cats. The runners are too short and uneven. You'd have to do some really good NASCAR style trickery to make the OEM configuration into a decent header. I don't think it's possible.

They are called "shorty" headers. Mustangs, LS1/LT1/LS6 Camaros/Firebirds and Corvettes have been using this option for years. Longer primaries would be better but it can be done.