IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

OFFICIAL: New for 2007 IS Updates

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 08:30 AM
jriney8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone please explain to me why Lexus refuses to put a manual in the 350?
Old 08-15-06, 08:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
so it says VSC/TRAC cut off, what about VDIM

also MSRP change?
flip has been preaching for an while that it is not an VDIM off but TRC/VSC off, since VDIM integrates those features ... of course, the switch itself will most likely say "VDIM off"

:-).
Old 08-15-06, 08:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jriney8
because nobody wanted to buy manual for IS300, and competitors sell very few manual models (I would suppose even IS250 Manual doesnt sell that well)...
Old 08-15-06, 08:44 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Simply put, it is not profitable.

Enthusiasts want the manual, but would they be willing to pay ~$1k more for a manual if it was made? I doubt it. I also doubt that Lexus is willing to eat up the ~$1k in costs for R&D and Production of a manual to offer it at the same price as the automatic...
Old 08-15-06, 08:49 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 534 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
flip has been preaching for an while that it is not an VDIM off but TRC/VSC off, since VDIM integrates those features ... of course, the switch itself will most likely say "VDIM off"

:-).
It's necessary to educate the proper terms. The terms come directly from the Lexus College and Lexus Marketing.
Old 08-15-06, 09:06 AM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

my 350 came with a manual..it's in the glove compartment..yours should have one too..lol.
Old 08-15-06, 09:21 AM
LaRock
Rookie

Originally Posted by supaIS350
my 350 came with a manual..it's in the glove compartment..yours should have one too..lol.
HAHAHA. That's hillarious.
Old 08-15-06, 09:40 AM
Griffey222
Rookie

Default The Future IS cars...

Just read this on autoweek.com...Not sure if it is new info, but saw it posted as of 8.14...

IS 250/350: The rwd sedan was redesigned for the 2006 model year; a coupe is in development, likely for the 2008 model year.

A convertible was expected to debut when the coupe arrived. But Lexus is worried that its planned convertible may not succeed in a world of hard-top convertibles. The model may be sent back to the drawing board, forcing a delay.

Lexus executives downplay reports of a V-8, saying the big engine would kill the car's handling - not to mention that a 300-hp V-6 is plenty for a car this size. Don't rule out a hybrid as a midcycle addition.
Old 08-15-06, 09:43 AM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad they made HID an option.
Old 08-15-06, 09:43 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Simply put, it is not profitable.

Enthusiasts want the manual, but would they be willing to pay ~$1k more for a manual if it was made? I doubt it. I also doubt that Lexus is willing to eat up the ~$1k in costs for R&D and Production of a manual to offer it at the same price as the automatic...
I would think the manual would be less expensive as that is usually the case with every other car manufacturer including the first gen IS.
Old 08-15-06, 09:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
I would think the manual would be less expensive as that is usually the case with every other car manufacturer including the first gen IS.
but designing a car to have two different drivetrains and possibly two different manafacturing lines will drive up costs over one drivetrain and one manafacturing line even tho the actual cost of the manual transmission is cheaper
Old 08-15-06, 09:58 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Griffey222
Lexus executives downplay reports of a V-8, saying the big engine would kill the car's handling
LOL... the handling doesn't need any more killing. They already killed it with a heavy body and soft suspension.
Old 08-15-06, 10:12 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
but designing a car to have two different drivetrains and possibly two different manafacturing lines will drive up costs over one drivetrain and one manafacturing line even tho the actual cost of the manual transmission is cheaper
Don't all manufacturers have to incur these same costs though? Why would Lexus be any different? Looks like Lexus was able to incur these costs and still offer the stick on the 1st gen at a lower price. Why would it be any different now?
Old 08-15-06, 10:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Don't all manufacturers have to incur these same costs though? Why would Lexus be any different? Looks like Lexus was able to incur these costs and still offer the stick on the 1st gen at a lower price. Why would it be any different now?
amount of manuals car companies actually sell is very low 10% or less probably, maybe lexus doesnt think its worth it. Back when the TL first came out I got to talking with the salesman and he says maybe 1 in 12 TLs is a manual. BMW is around 10% I've heard. For BMW to proclaim itself ultimate driving machine they have to offer it by image and marketing. I dont feel Lexus is really obligated from a marketting standpoint to offer it

I was hoping there would possibly be a manual for the 07 IS350 but I started doubting it a while back.
Old 08-15-06, 10:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

BMW (and other German automakers) can absorb these costs because they know they can sell manual trannies due to their performance reputation.

Lexus may not want to absorb these costs because they sell cars for their comfort and ease of use, not because of their performance reputation.

M.B. may not want to absorb these costs for the luxury >> performance attitude. Also, they have other issues to deal with, such as reliability and technology problems, which may supercede the need to spend $$ on developing manual transmissions for their higher end vehicles.

If Lexus does plan to develop a well-developed manual, it will be for something that will be solely performance >> luxury oriented, such as the LF-A, or perhaps a true SC Sports Coupe (not a cruiser such as the one currently being offered). It is still possible to create a manual IS, but expect such a vehicle to be made significantly different from the current IS in terms of materials and technology used.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: New for 2007 IS Updates