SGMIS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

according to www.response.jp

the IS350 is one of the fastest shifting cars in the world

It shifts in 36 miliseconds
Ferarri Enzo shifts in 150 miliseconds
BMW will be making a new auto that will shift in 80 miliseconds

however, i am not familiar if its the same with downshifting..
Old 08-15-06, 11:26 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Are you telling me? Or general comment?
General comment directed at the earlier post regarding "sequential transmission".
Old 08-16-06, 05:56 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as for my quote "does it really matter if it's quick?" actually means "does it really matter as long as it's quick?" but i understand your need to general knowledge but i have to disagree on the priority of that need to know ONLY because you're asking a question that no one here can speak to with certainty. As you can tell so far, you really can't expect anyone to chime in and say "they know for sure" they can only guess.

36 miliseconds. i saw if it goes thru each gear or skips, if it takes 36 miliseconds either way, for the most part it doesn't matter. saying that if it skipped, it could do it in 26 miliseconds just isn't true.
Old 08-16-06, 05:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

that new BMW 6 speed auto can downshift multiple gears directly
Old 08-16-06, 07:25 AM
EBMCS03
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kensteele
but i have to disagree on the priority of that need to know ONLY because you're asking a question that no one here can speak to with certainty.
Well obviously now I know no one knows... And its kind of sad that no one knows... and not enough people care enough about the actual mechnical specs of the car. I guess there is a REAL difference between BMW owners and Lexus owners. BMWs are seriously more Car oriented... actually interested in how the cars works. Lexus... just not up to it yet... different crowd... totally understand why Lexus Drives so differnt than a BMW. Aimed towards a different crowd...

And since the IS was made to COMPETE against the BMW I would have thought the owners would start to be more BMW owner like... actually be interested in the car they drive rather than just HP this TQ that and mines more Luxury than yours...

I wouldnt have known if I didnt ask. And when I did ask I get people telling me "Why do you need to know. Does it matter... etc etc." So it doesnt help.

So seems like if I cant find it in the search engine... dont bother asking next cuz no one knows or no one cares or someone will go "use the search engine"
Old 08-16-06, 07:37 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

again lexus competes in the lexus way not by mimicing someone else, it has its own mix and style of features to compete with someone elses mix and style of features. I still think the IS is better than the 3 series in its own way, not just a black and white view oh handling is worse in a Lexus therefore it sucks. IMO lexus beats it in everything else, ill take that instead of handling (which I can fix if I wanted to with aftermarket) Good luck getting aftermarket to fix BMWs interior, reliability, and overprice

also I dont think anyone really thought of this type of question before and went to investigate it so its catching everyone a little off guard
Old 08-16-06, 08:15 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well obviously now I know no one knows... And its kind of sad that no one knows... and not enough people care enough about the actual mechnical specs of the car.
To be honest, its not sad at all- many people prefer a passive approach to their vehicles, and thats completely fine. Doing your own research could've produced results as well, so in some sense this also reflects poorly on you.

No, the IS does not have a real sequential gearbox, as it is an auto with a torque converter, and 'sequential' paddle shifters, to market the more 'sporty' nature of the vehicle.

As for the auto tranny, the IS isn't all too special. The auto tranny can select which gear it wants to shift into, as all ratios are determined by the same gears. Without detailing it, you're just going to experience more lag inbetween shifts, depending on throttle position, and speed. In a manual car, you just have further control of the different gear ratios, which you can select to determine speeds to the axle. For our purposes, an auto can do the same thing a manual can, minus the human error.

I guess there is a REAL difference between BMW owners and Lexus owners. BMWs are seriously more Car oriented... actually interested in how the cars works. Lexus... just not up to it yet... different crowd... totally understand why Lexus Drives so differnt than a BMW. Aimed towards a different crowd...
I can assure you that I can find (or already know) just as many BMW owners who could care less about their vehicles specifics, in the same fashion that some Lexus owners do...or for that matter, the owner of any brand of vehicle- BMW just like any brand sells much of its cars on name alone. Lets not assume that because this is a Lexus board, that we have only driven Lexus vehicles in our lifetimes.

And since the IS was made to COMPETE against the BMW I would have thought the owners would start to be more BMW owner like... actually be interested in the car they drive rather than just HP this TQ that and mines more Luxury than yours...
The IS competes with the 3 series as its own distinct vehicle, under a different design philosophy; not a clone. Lexus developed the IS not only as a competitor, but to also appeal to real world needs of a different type of consumer. BMW makes great cars, but there is more than one bar to be topped here, and its not just in the performance aspect.

So seems like if I cant find it in the search engine... dont bother asking next cuz no one knows or no one cares or someone will go "use the search engine"
It can be found in a search engine... "sequential gearbox", "plantery gears", "epicyclic gears", "gear ratios", "auto transmissions" are all key words you can use.
Old 08-16-06, 08:51 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default shifting

It could jump gears. The transmission is electronically controlled. Did you ever notice if you're in drive and drag the shifter over to manual, it will go from 6th to 4th, no matter how fast your going? annoying. And if your in drive and you press the brake lightly, it will go downshift from 6th, to 5th or 4th, no matter the speed.
Unless you in the snow tract mode, ECT, or ETC. Then it acts like a normal car, in Drive and ETC clicked, hit the brake stays in the gear your in. I have a Montero that acts this way to. No paddle shifters in it, but it will shift when you tell it too.
Old 08-16-06, 09:07 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

I try to shift down two gear at once since the gear box will protect the engine when the techno is high then the gear box will only shift down one gear and the beep beep will on in order to inform you that the gear is not shift as you wish... then when the techno is low enough to shift to second gear then it will shift...
Old 08-16-06, 10:42 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well obviously now I know no one knows... And its kind of sad that no one knows... and not enough people care enough about the actual mechnical specs of the car. I guess there is a REAL difference between BMW owners and Lexus owners. BMWs are seriously more Car oriented... actually interested in how the cars works. Lexus... just not up to it yet... different crowd... totally understand why Lexus Drives so differnt than a BMW. Aimed towards a different crowd...

I wouldnt have known if I didnt ask. And when I did ask I get people telling me "Why do you need to know. Does it matter... etc etc." So it doesnt help.

Hey, until you put me on your payroll, you don't get to judge me for how responsive I am to your posts.

Do your own homework, and stop blaming others for your crappy research skills.
Old 08-16-06, 10:59 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 15951
Hey, until you put me on your payroll, you don't get to judge me for how responsive I am to your posts. . .
So you can be bought and turned into someone's personal whipping ****** ??? (j/k - couldn't resist)

Actually I agree with your point, I didn't relpy to this thread since I don't know the correct answer, but kept reading since the content was so amusing. Eventually I'll break down and get a sub for the online manual, but for $10 and a lil of his time, OP could have found the answer in the tech manuals . . .
Old 08-16-06, 12:35 PM
duckduck
Pole Position

I find this post funny. First with Timbo's response (which I must admit wasn't too helpful and a bit smart alec-y), and then with EBMCS03's reponse.

I love how EBMCS03 generalizes both parties, saying how BMW people care more about their cars/more knowledgeable/more car oriented than the Lexus people.

How about bucking the so-called trend and finding out the answer yourself? Go call up Lexus Headquarters and find out. Take apart the transmission and find out. Be the pioneer. Someone had to investigate it first. No one on the BMW forum magically discovered how exactly their car worked - someone must have put in the time to figure it out. Then you would be the knowledgeable one, who knows if it can skip gears on the downshift, and we would no longer be a group that "doesn't care". Then we'll have you to go to our transmission questions, someone else for intake, another for springs, etc.

This isn't to cripple this discussion (as I would like to know too), but I kind of got irked by generalizations and baiting.
Old 08-16-06, 01:22 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
Hey, until you put me on your payroll, you don't get to judge me for how responsive I am to your posts.

Do your own homework, and stop blaming others for your crappy research skills.
Well said.

Just accept things for what they are, and don't obsess. Phone Lexus, maybe they'll enlighten you. A good analogy...While I like hot dogs, I try not to think about how they're made.