IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Intuitive Parking Assist? Worth It

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 06:40 AM
jasoncd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
from memory. when you get close to an object, your entire nav screen will switch to the pa screen. the little display next to your speedo will also switch over.

an outline of the car shown from above will show multiple yellow radar-like waves at the corner or corners / front you are near. there is a steady beeping. as you get closer, the yellow radar-like waves become less and less and the beeping increases. when you get really close, yellow turns to red and the beeping almost becomes solid.
If you don't have nav, it's about the same thing, but without color. The car displays on the display between the MPH and Tach gauges. The front works great for me, at least in my garage. It also gets set off by bushes
Old 08-16-06, 07:06 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
I think it is a miss not to at least have a front center sensor with decreased sensitivity that way you don't have traffic issues unless you tailgate but can help protect an already low front end prone to damage.
I second that. If anything, give the user the ability to set the sensitivity of it via the park assist screen or personal settings.
Old 08-16-06, 07:08 AM
Patton333
Driver School Candidate

I do not have the parking assist on my car as for whatever reason it was not available at the time of my purchase. I do however have the backup camera and that is more than sufficient. My mother's LS has the parking assist. It seems pretty helpful as it shows you a skeletal image of the car on the Nav screen with audible tones and visual lines showing how far you are from an object. I would not however, recommend getting it after market as they cannot match the paint on the sensors to that of your car as if it came from the factory, so the sensors will just be black. They also cannot tie it into the Nav like the facotry does. My understanding is that the after market parking assists ar just audio. Doesn't seem worth it to me unless you get it from the factory.
Old 08-16-06, 09:59 AM
richw350
Rookie

I have PA and I am very glad I got it. Very helpful when parking, operating in tight areas. Between the PA sensors, backup camera, and mirrors, most of the perimeter is covered.
Old 08-16-06, 10:05 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CoasterG
The blocks front and back cover the tow hooks.

Parking assist sensors are the round discs every few inches on the bumper. I think Lexus has like 4-6 on each bumper.
In fact 2 in the front and 4 at the back
Old 08-16-06, 10:16 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I second that. If anything, give the user the ability to set the sensitivity of it via the park assist screen or personal settings.
There's no disable switch on the IS ? The LS has an on/off switch for PA, so you can temporarily disable the system when stuck in stop & go traffic. I don't recall if the PA display came up on the Navi screen, I'll have to check that out next time I drive my parent's LS . . .
Old 08-16-06, 10:29 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Originally Posted by socalJD
There's no disable switch on the IS ? The LS has an on/off switch for PA, so you can temporarily disable the system when stuck in stop & go traffic. I don't recall if the PA display came up on the Navi screen, I'll have to check that out next time I drive my parent's LS . . .
Yeah, you may disable the PA, but it never comes on or sounds unless I'm intentionally parking. For this reason, I just leave it on at all times, but could imagine it being a potential problem in traffic, so I imagine Lexus left it off the very front pointing forward for this reason.
Old 08-16-06, 10:37 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

...could imagine it being a potential problem in traffic, so I imagine Lexus left it off the very front pointing forward for this reason.
That I doubt. If you're driving that close in traffic to set off the PA, then you have bigger problems.
Old 08-16-06, 11:07 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimboIS
That I doubt. If you're driving that close in traffic to set off the PA, then you have bigger problems.
Completely disagree - ever been to a sporting event and have to park in a structure ? I've been stuck in a parking structure in a long line of cars trying to go out the same exit, and you will very easily set off ANY PA system - it's just the nature of beast. Getting stuck is irritating enough, add to it the constant beeping from the PA, a couple of screaming kids in the back and you have the recipe for a nice migraine . . . no thanks - gimme a PA defeat switch.
Old 08-16-06, 11:50 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

I see it every weekday actually, especially when merging onto a major highway... Yes it may sound foolish, but it does happen more often than it should, or could be something like pedestrians in a crosswalk, gas at a station, waiting for a car wash, etc. Overall point is that there are many situations where you're moving forward slowly, and not parking where you'd get a false alarm.

The rear sensor is active while in reverse, and the corner sensors when the car senses the steering angle and/or object, but how would you regulate a front sensor (anyone with aftermarket have experiences)?

Perhaps road debris damaging the sensor was also a concern, as the manaul does specify that you must be careful about protecting them from shock/impact.

I'd lastly imagine that front crash regulations (including those for pedestrians), along with the cars aero design (and fascia support), didn't provide adequate space for a sensor.
Old 08-16-06, 11:51 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 239 Posts

no thanks - gimme a PA defeat switch.
It's a good thing that the car has a PA defeat switch. I've had problems with false alarms and warning messages in bad weather from snow and ice buildup on the sensors. I believe that it can even false in heavy falling snow.
Old 08-16-06, 01:26 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

I see it every weekday actually, especially when merging onto a major highway
If you're going highway/merging speeds and are setting off the PA, then you are driving extremely foolishly, as they only go off at 18" or closer.
Old 08-16-06, 02:30 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sdpq
has it been useful
I can see the parking assist being useful for a person that has no idea how to park a car.
Old 08-16-06, 02:32 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Completely disagree - ever been to a sporting event and have to park in a structure ?
I think the point was that if you were driving that close at higher speeds, that would be foolish. I don't think he was referring to inching along in a slow line of cars.
Old 08-16-06, 03:40 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Originally Posted by ff_
I think the point was that if you were driving that close at higher speeds, that would be foolish. I don't think he was referring to inching along in a slow line of cars.
When we refer to "traffic", we mean slow, congested, bumper to bumper, squeezing for spots, type traffic.

"you don't want beeps going off while stuck in traffic situations, where the car can't make the distinction between parking, and not."

I at least hope nobody is attempting to park their car at 60 mph.

If you're going highway/merging speeds and are setting off the PA, then you are driving extremely foolishly, as they only go off at 18" or closer.
The manual states that the distance at which the rear sensor begins to sound (used since its opposite of the front), is around 4.5 feet- a measured test in my vehicle came out to roughly 4.7 feet. When in traffic, people travel at this distance all the time, which would drive a sensor nuts should it not have its range configured to be appropriate.

Quick Reply: Intuitive Parking Assist? Worth It