IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Intuitive Parking Assist? Worth It

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 04:06 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
The manual states that the distance at which the rear sensor begins to sound (used since its opposite of the front), is around 4.5 feet- a measured test in my vehicle came out to roughly 4.7 feet. When in traffic, people travel at this distance all the time, which would drive a sensor nuts should it not have its range configured to be appropriate.
I don't think you're going to trigger the rears merging onto an on ramp or in traffic, as the rear PA aren't active unless you're in reverse.

Also, I guess you were never taught to only pull up to a car in front so that you can see their rear wheels. Which definitely wouldn't set off the front PA.
Old 08-16-06, 04:49 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Also, I guess you were never taught to only pull up to a car in front so that you can see their rear wheels. Which definitely wouldn't set off the front PA.
Sure, if you're in a controlled environment and everyone else follows the textbook to a T. But this is not the case in "real world" situations. If I was driving in typical SoCal rush hour traffic, and I observed the 'rear wheel in sight' stopping distance, I would be cutoff by every vehicle known to man (buses, 18 wheelers, tow trucks, cement trucks, hearses, you name it) - it's just human nature, give an inch - impatient drivers will take a mile. Same with my example of the crowded parking structure - if you don't stay on the bumper of the car in front of you, everyone will cut you off. Don't believe me, YOU try it. Try maintaining the 'rear wheel in sight' stopping distance on the freeway in rush hour traffic or a crowded parking structure and report back to this thread on your experiences.
Old 08-16-06, 06:25 PM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
I don't think you're going to trigger the rears merging onto an on ramp or in traffic, as the rear PA aren't active unless you're in reverse.
I've already stated that earlier in the thread...

The rear sensor is active while in reverse, and the corner sensors when the car senses the steering angle and/or object

As was stated before though, while shifting into reverse engages rear sensors, what would engage a front sensor? And how would the car know the difference between parking and any other situation? 4.5 feet is apparently adequate space for rear maneuvers, which would also make sense for frontward ones, as the car has a limited turn radius/wheelbase.

You're mistaken, as the point has nothing to do with my personal driving habits. I'm specifically claiming what actually occurs during traffic situations on a daily basis, and how they could cause false alarms. If you've ever seen average traffic around 66, 395, or 495 in my area (DC, VA, MD), or in city areas such as New York, then you'd realize what I'm talking about, as people just do not maintain 5 feet worth of a gap between vehicles, even if it is the smart thing to do. People also don't drive at the posted speed limit, just the same, etc. Its simply the reality, not my opinion and I'm not calling it for anything other than what it is.
Old 08-29-06, 08:19 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear-camera?

Can someone please clarify the difference between the rear-camera (which actually shows a live-video of the area behind the car on the navigation screen) and the parking assist diagram?

If you order the navigation system, I assume you get the rear-camera, correct? Does the parking assist factory option change what you see in the rear-camera in any way?

Thanks
Old 08-29-06, 09:16 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The rear camera, which only works in reverse, strictly gives you a view of what's behind the vehicle, below the trunks deck. It works great for seeing curbs, or juding the distance of a wall, for example, behind you.

The parking sensors not only work in the rear, but also the front corners of the car (during low speed). Anything walking (people) or within proximity of the sensors, will cause them to sound (sort of like an audio warning letting you know that you're getting closer, time to stop). They also beep more rapidly the closer you get, along with a visual up front to let you know what part of the car has an object next to it, while providing you with an approximate idea of the distance. It does not change what you see in the rear camera display.

Its honesty just a combination of audio/video offered as an extra pair of eyes/ears you can use to your benefit when parking. Some people rely on one more than the other or even both, depending on the parking situation; I typically get more use out of the parking sensors, while the rear camera is great for when I want to minimize the amount of space I actually occupy.
Old 08-29-06, 09:25 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, now I regret not getting PA. I skipped on it, because the cars bumpers look better (cleaner) without it.
Old 08-29-06, 09:31 AM
crzcrz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
I second that. If anything, give the user the ability to set the sensitivity of it via the park assist screen or personal settings.
But you can adjust sensivity of sensors. It's either in "MENU -> Lexus park assist" or in "INFO -> Lexus park assist". Don't remember exactly at the moment.