IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Intuitive Parking Assist? Worth It

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-06, 07:52 PM
sdpq
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intuitive Parking Assist? Worth It

I heard you can get the parking assist put in after you purchase the vehicle.

I am thinking about getting it, but i'm not sure if it is worth it becuase it is only for the rear and not the front, for those that have it, has it been useful and if anyone got it after purchasing the vehicle, how much was it after installation and everything?
Old 08-15-06, 08:05 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

if they can put it in for the rears... why not the fronts too?
Old 08-15-06, 08:08 PM
sdpq
Driver

i guess they dont have the pre-work done for it, thats why on the rear bumpers you see those two block pieces that are about 2" x 2"
Old 08-15-06, 08:09 PM
bgarre
Driver

Originally Posted by sdpq
i guess they dont have the pre-work done for it, thats why on the rear bumpers you see those two block pieces that are about 2" x 2"
aren't those for shipping?
Old 08-15-06, 08:17 PM
LaRock
Rookie

I never realized you can add PA after the fact. Any idea on the cost or URL with info ?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-06, 08:20 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use it everyday.

especially in my parking garage i always pull in far enough until my fronts turn from yellow to red. everyday.

the rear is not so helpful because i don't exactly trust it but for the camera is it worth it. not sure don't think you get the camera with aftermarket.
Old 08-15-06, 08:56 PM
VitB6
Pole Position

can someone explain how this works. Do you see a picture of your car on the nav screen with visible representation of how far away you are from an object? Is it just audible? I saw it on an Audi A8 recently and thought it was awesome. Was wondering how exactly it is used on the 2IS.
Old 08-15-06, 09:48 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sdpq
aren't those for tow hooks or something? theres one in the front too.
Old 08-15-06, 10:02 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VitB6
can someone explain how this works. Do you see a picture of your car on the nav screen with visible representation of how far away you are from an object? Is it just audible? I saw it on an Audi A8 recently and thought it was awesome. Was wondering how exactly it is used on the 2IS.
from memory. when you get close to an object, your entire nav screen will switch to the pa screen. the little display next to your speedo will also switch over.

an outline of the car shown from above will show multiple yellow radar-like waves at the corner or corners / front you are near. there is a steady beeping. as you get closer, the yellow radar-like waves become less and less and the beeping increases. when you get really close, yellow turns to red and the beeping almost becomes solid.
Old 08-15-06, 10:47 PM
OK_Sooners
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kensteele
i use it everyday.

especially in my parking garage i always pull in far enough until my fronts turn from yellow to red. everyday.

the rear is not so helpful because i don't exactly trust it but for the camera is it worth it. not sure don't think you get the camera with aftermarket.
Does the very front beep? I thought the fronts on mine had a bug in them... it wouldn't go off until I was about 1/4" from the wall/object in front of me.. Never could get them to go red.. only yellow... even the sides so I took it to the dealer.. they said it only works on the front sides...

I love the rear... those with the camera makes backing a dream...
Old 08-16-06, 12:38 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

One of the sales guys at my dealership has aftermarket PA installed on his IS. I'm pretty sure he had it on front and back but can't be positive. What I do know is that his particular aftermarket setup looked pretty ugly, the sensors were protruding out way too far.
Old 08-16-06, 03:55 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

In Macao there are two models of IS250: Select and Delux...
My IS is a Select based plus moonroof and ventilated seats...
The Delux model has Lexus Parking Assit Front and Rear with Display on meter area...
The Select model has aftermarket rear parking assit and it is pre-installed by the Lexus HK... I find that it is needed since IS is not a small car and Macao parking spaces are just enough for my IS therefore I needed the rear parking assit so much... Although the aftermarket parking assit only has sound, it has the feeling as original...

Last edited by ISbb; 08-16-06 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-16-06, 04:45 AM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

The blocks front and back cover the tow hooks.

Parking assist sensors are the round discs every few inches on the bumper. I think Lexus has like 4-6 on each bumper.
Old 08-16-06, 05:34 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The park assist has sensors on the middle, and two corners of the rear bumper. It also has sensors on the two corners of the front bumper.

It does not have a sensor on the very front of the car, because you don't want beeps going off while stuck in traffic situations, where the car can't make the distinction between parking, and not.

I personally use the PA sensors every day as well, as I've learned to rely on both them and the backup camera, if at the very least to spot check. It also detects when people or objects are in the way, which you may at times miss do the the C-pillars, or because they are below the 'high' bumper/rear. The rear visibilty of the vehicle is not the greatest either, so the PA has a good chance of sparing you from accidently damaging the body in tight spaces. You can definately navigate without it, but I've found it very useful.
Old 08-16-06, 05:43 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OK_Sooners
Does the very front beep? I thought the fronts on mine had a bug in them... it wouldn't go off until I was about 1/4" from the wall/object in front of me.. Never could get them to go red.. only yellow... even the sides so I took it to the dealer.. they said it only works on the front sides...

I love the rear... those with the camera makes backing a dream...
since there is no very front but only front corners....but the range is still pretty good and they always go red, maybe want to check out a different car and see if yours is less sensitive.

I think it is a miss not to at least have a front center sensor with decreased sensitivity that way you don't have traffic issues unless you tailgate but can help protect an already low front end prone to damage.

Quick Reply: Intuitive Parking Assist? Worth It