IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What you guys think of G35??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-06, 11:25 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No more bimmers for me until Bangle dies!!!
But, that new turbo model sounds very interesting though....

Originally Posted by keeeeez
ALSO... have you ruled out the BMW 335i? If you want a better performing car (albeit a 4 seater coupe)...the 335i will destroy the IS performance wise, not to mention what will happen when the aftermarket community gets it's hands on it. Lastly, I highly doubt there will be a lack of aftermarket performance (engine) support for this car like there seems to be for the new IS.
Old 08-17-06, 11:31 AM
duckduck
Pole Position

Also, the 335i is a coupe, which if I remember right, the OP wanted a 4 door
Old 08-17-06, 11:55 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by duckduck
Also, the 335i is a coupe, which if I remember right, the OP wanted a 4 door
They'll have both available.
Old 08-17-06, 12:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jrock65
You ever driven the M35/45 at 70 mph cruising? If you had, you'd know that it is very quiet. One (I think R&T) mag tested the M45 quieter than the GS430 at 70 mph cruising. Sure, the M revs high, but in no way is it "buzzing". For all cars, almost all the noise at cruise comes from the tires and wind, not the powertrain.
My days of driving cars at 3000rpm at 70mph are long over , and if u read the forums, it is something OWNERS say.
Old 08-17-06, 12:10 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

its hard to compare the is350 to the g35 because the is350 belongs to a newer generation of cars in the segment and should really be compared to the 2007 g35. in addition though, the g35 will likely cost a few thousand less than the is350, so really, the comparison should be between the is250 and the g35.

but having driven both, i would say that the g35 is more of a driver's car than the is. the IS is a car that is designed towards comfort and refinement whereas the G tries to include a lot more driver involvement into the equation.

if you're the type to mod, the g will have an advantage because the modding community that backs it will be larger. if you're the type that loves to drive a communicative car, you will like the g more.

if you'd rather the refinement, you will prefer the lexus more.
i dont think the is350 offers you both. the is imo isnt as involving as the current generation g35, so the new g35, which will allegedly be an even better drivers car, will open the gap between the two in that regard.

at the end of the day i think you really need to decide if you'd prefer more refinement or sport in your refinement-sport mix of a car.
Old 08-17-06, 12:12 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
My days of driving cars at 3000rpm at 70mph are long over , and if u read the forums, it is something OWNERS say.
that may affect mileage but the transmission is actually a strong point on the car, its very good at behaving how you want, when you want. im not sure where you get the buzzing comment from? (maybe a joke at a perceived lower quality product) but the car is very refined and is overall extremely competitive with everything else out there (5 series, E class, and GS included).
Old 08-17-06, 12:22 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
its hard to compare the is350 to the g35 because the is350 belongs to a newer generation of cars in the segment and should really be compared to the 2007 g35.
Agree. I can't wait (good or bad) for the '07 G, IS350, 335i, etc., shootout that is inevitable. It'll be a real shootout for 2nd place as any oddsmaker has to give the nod to the 335 (especially with the huge power bump.)
Old 08-17-06, 12:29 PM
Tekknikal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by al503
Agree. I can't wait (good or bad) for the '07 G, IS350, 335i, etc., shootout that is inevitable. It'll be a real shootout for 2nd place as any oddsmaker has to give the nod to the 335 (especially with the huge power bump.)
i agree, all three cars are amazing.
as far as the 335 goes, i think itll be very potent, but im not so sure that itll be outright dominance. the IS is down by 15hp from it, which is a good bit, but not *that* much. the new g35 was rated at 306hp but infiniti has pulled that, so maybe they upped the ante.

the sheer torque of the 335 will make it super drivable and responsive in daily driving, but in terms of open road acceleration, horsepower under the powerband is what matters, and in that regard itll be very close among these cars.
Old 08-17-06, 12:40 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well, then either they don't really own the M, or they got a defective one. In no way does the car buzz loud at 70 mph.
Old 08-17-06, 12:46 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tekknikal
that may affect mileage but the transmission is actually a strong point on the car, its very good at behaving how you want, when you want.
I agree with you. Just because it's a mere 5 speed doesn't mean that it doesn't perform as well. At the same time, I do wish Infiniti would put more gears in its car to improve efficiency.
Old 08-17-06, 01:34 PM
suprafrank
Rookie

Originally Posted by hsk73
Thanks, guys!!
I'm leaning toward Lexus, too.
I'm even considering GS300 now.... What you guys think about that?
It depends on your preference and needs. GS has bigger cabin space and GS300 is slower than IS 350. The look of the rear end I definitely like IS 350 better than GS mostly because of the stick out/curvy look of the tail lights I think. The rear end of GS is not that impressive to me. The front end of GS looks pretty good though.

Last edited by suprafrank; 08-17-06 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-09-06, 03:30 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Ended up with GS300!!
I couldn't get good deals on IS and the interior was way too small for me...
Thank you all for the comments!
Old 10-09-06, 07:03 PM
Jatt
Driver

Man you know what I never understood about this comparison, Infiniti and Lexus are COMPLETELY different cars, owning a Lexus and owning an Inifiniti is a HUGE difference.

When I go for a car, I'm buying into the ownership experience, not just the car itself, and bottom line is Inifiniti is not even close to Lexus, might be different in the States but Lexus is the best of the best up north, Inifinit dealerships are bad mouthed left and right for poor customer service and very very VERY disrespectful sales people.
Old 10-09-06, 07:37 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jatt
Man you know what I never understood about this comparison, Infiniti and Lexus are COMPLETELY different cars, owning a Lexus and owning an Inifiniti is a HUGE difference.

When I go for a car, I'm buying into the ownership experience, not just the car itself, and bottom line is Inifiniti is not even close to Lexus, might be different in the States but Lexus is the best of the best up north, Inifinit dealerships are bad mouthed left and right for poor customer service and very very VERY disrespectful sales people.
Jatt - Ditto, even here in the states. Speaking from my own personal experience, Infiniti does a terrible job at customer service. I currently own an 05 G35x Sedan and am getting close to pulling the trigger on an 07 GS350. It'll be my first Lexus, but reading the boards here and comparing them to the Infiniti boards, its a no brainer which brand has more quality control problems, and it ain't Lexus.
Old 10-10-06, 09:12 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the IS. I had the same issue, but in my case it was between the G35 coupe and the IS. The IS has a better design, better build quality... overall I think it beats the G35 in every category.

The new G35 sedan has a better looking front than the older G35, but I don't like the "chrome spoiler" the put in the back of it. It doesn't cover the entire trunk and just looks UGLY

Yes, the IS costs a little bit more, but trust me, it's worth it!!!

Quick Reply: What you guys think of G35??