IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Who really uses PWR all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 03:18 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Who really uses PWR all the time?

I kinda like the slightly sharpened throttle response when I'm in PWR mode, but I don't like the way it hangs in the lower gear after punching the gas and getting a downshift. As a result, I drive almost all the time in "normal" mode. Also, it seems the shifting is "lumpy" in normal driving when in PWR mode ... especially when taking off from a stop.

So does anyone REALLY drive in PWR mode all the time? Do you feel it really benefits you, or is it sort of a gimmick? I mean, you can just mash the gas a little harder and get the same accelration and downshifts ...

Just curious.
Old 08-16-06, 03:28 PM
iceman1117
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like you said I dont like how how the car hangs in the gear for a longer time when in PWR mode. I use it when I know I want to drive a little more aggressive and I want that quicker response but other than that I leave it in normal. Also when in PWR mode the car consumes more gas since it hangs in the gear for a longer period of time.
Old 08-16-06, 03:42 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

normal here as well
Old 08-16-06, 04:09 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Power mode during drives with no traffic on freeways.

Normal mode during drives outside the freeway.

Snow mode during drives with a lot of traffic on freeways.

Just my thing, I guess...

To answer your original question: YES, it does benefit me. I drive in various types of traffic, and sometimes, Power mode helps me "feel what I paid for." Although there is a difference in gas mileage, it is insignificant enough for me to not consider it while driving. Why worry about such things: enjoy the ride!
Old 08-16-06, 04:26 PM
Kermee
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PWR ECT. 100% of the time. (IS 250 AWD)

Cheers,
Kermee
Old 08-16-06, 04:27 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

i never use it. I like my gas mileage And i too use snow in traffic.
Old 08-16-06, 04:50 PM
jezza
Driver

PWR mode will only hang in lower gears after a downshift if you're driving in D. Since I never drive in D, it's not an issue for me.

My car is 100% of the time in PWR, S mode. I do as much of my own shifting as I can.

I average ~27mpg (IS350) over my rather long commute... not much stop and go.

Last edited by jezza; 08-16-06 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-16-06, 05:02 PM
menech
Lead Lap

Yup mine is in 100% PWR mode all the time as well. And usually in S mode, but often times during the morning commute I just D it in :P

The only time I take it out of PWR is on long highway trips, or when its chilly in the morning (the car is a bit rough on PWR when cold).

Not to sound all high-level but I guess I just don't really care about a couple cents more per gallon on fill up. The difference in PWR mode for my 90%+ city driving amounts to a tank average of like 18 compared to 19 or so in none PWR mode.
Old 08-16-06, 05:15 PM
LeXusIS714
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about the gas mileage. Put it in the PWR mode whenever you feel like going fast. The different is very small. Anyone have the accurate mpg with PWR mode?
Old 08-16-06, 05:47 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

mine is on all the time.
Old 08-16-06, 05:49 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

I'm in PWR mode 50%-70% of the time. Then usually I get used to the acceleration, so I kick it back down to norm for awhile. That way when I switch back to PWR it gives me that "whoa too much kick" feeling.

Same thing happens when I drive the loaner for a day when my car is getting it's maintainence. It always feels so good to get back into the IS with all it's 'oomph' from the engine.

(currently i'm in the normal mode)
Old 08-16-06, 05:54 PM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jezza
PWR mode will only hang in lower gears after a downshift if you're driving in D. Since I never drive in D, it's not an issue for me.

My car is 100% of the time in PWR, S mode. I do as much of my own shifting as I can.

I average ~27mpg (IS350) over my rather long commute... not much stop and go.
How can you stand S mode? So are you constantly clicking it back down to 1st everytime at a redlight? Or are you engine braking every single time just to get to 1st gear? Just curious.

I use normal most of the time now. I must resist the urge.

I used it alot when I just got the car....yeah....speedy. Must stop now.
Old 08-16-06, 06:09 PM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

I drive in Normal mode most of the time. Usually put it in PWR when going up looooong hills.
Old 08-16-06, 06:13 PM
sajonf
Driver

I leave mine in PWR mode 100% of the time. The only thing I don't like about it is when you hit the brakes a little harder than normal it downshifts 1 maybe 2 gears immediately. While this is great going into a corner, it sucks in rush hour traffic when you need to stop quicker than normal. It scares the crap out of me every time.
Old 08-16-06, 06:34 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With an IS250AWD, I like having the power mode--the shift points are at set at higher revs and it feels like you are hitting the peak of the power curve without having to press the pedal to the floor. The main trade-off is gas mileage--when in the regular mode, I average about 23 mpg in a 30/70 mix of highway and secondary roads; when I use the power mode, I average about 2 mpg less. Since I drive about 400 miles per week, I leave it the regular mode about 2/3rds of the time, especially when traffic is heavy.

Quick Reply: Who really uses PWR all the time?