IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Fastrak transponder... Where do you put it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 09:16 PM
CraZchris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fastrak transponder... Where do you put it?

I live in the Bay Area and just got a fastrak transpoder for my IS... the problem is the thing is big and ugly! I don't really want that thing stuck to the windshield of my car.. It would be a shame to uglify the IS like that!

Anyone have any creative solutions you are currently using? Is it illegal to have it in your glovebox? I heard that it usually works in there.
Old 08-16-06, 09:20 PM
kingkong5
Lead Lap

I don't know about in the Bay Area, but here in SoCal the FasTrak transponder has rules that go with where you can put it.

It either has to be high up in the middle of your windshield, under the rearview mirror, OR it can be in the lower left hand side, with at least a 1" gap between it and the dashboard/A-pillar.

Personally, I leave it in the glovebox and pull it out when I get close to the toll area and jam it between the windshield and dashboard. Then, after passing the toll plaza, I put it back in the glovebox. YMMV.
Old 08-16-06, 09:30 PM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

why don't you just take it out whenever you need to use it
Old 08-16-06, 09:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Best spot is the lower left hand side. Putting it in your glovebox doesnt work. Usually if your transponder is not picked up, the cameras will take a pic of your plate but during a routine "sweep", when the staff matches your plate to your account, it will just show like a regular deduction. If it becomes a habit, you will eventually get a notice or fine for improper display.

I've seen many people get pulled over for not having a FasTrak transponder displayed on their windshield on the 91 Express Lanes here in SoCal. I traveled the route daily for nearly 2 years. It's not worth the hassle to be pulled over when you're supposed to be saving time on the expensive 10 mile stretch.
Old 08-16-06, 09:46 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkong5
It either has to be high up in the middle of your windshield
I put mine in the middle of the top/windshield. The rearview mirror hides it so I never see it. I drive mostly the toll roads in the OC and don't use the 91 express that often. Didn't know they can ticket you if they don't see your transpondent. I've been using mine for 2 yrs without any problems.
Old 08-16-06, 10:58 PM
tonyxcom
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep it in the glovebox, but mostly out of spite.

Everytime I pay the website errors out when I try to make it auto charge my credit card. Then I get a dozen or so notices in the mail. Then I have to call to pay and make my card get charged auto, but it doesn't and then a month later the notices come again and the cycle continues.

I was so pissed off at one point that I didn't even carry it in the car for a few weeks just so they would have to manually process my car everyday.

But now it sits in my glovebox, if I cruise through under 25mph I can see it register, but I really could care less. Certain bridges work better then others.

If it doesn't register, it takes a picture and someone has to manually read the plate, check the database and if it isn't there you get a notice.
Old 08-16-06, 11:32 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my friend just bought an rx8 and it has the dealer plates. everytime he uses the toll roads he sits on the transponder so it doesn't register and he doesn't get charged. it takes a picture of his car but with no plates they don't know who he is. he got pulled over once for no transponder but he just showed it to the cop and said he just bought the car and didn't have a chance to velcro it to the windshield yet. he bought his car in beginning of may and still using the dealer plates hahah. i told him they're gonna put out an apb on his car hahah.
Old 08-17-06, 01:18 AM
Wests
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
my friend just bought an rx8 and it has the dealer plates. everytime he uses the toll roads he sits on the transponder so it doesn't register and he doesn't get charged. it takes a picture of his car but with no plates they don't know who he is. he got pulled over once for no transponder but he just showed it to the cop and said he just bought the car and didn't have a chance to velcro it to the windshield yet. he bought his car in beginning of may and still using the dealer plates hahah. i told him they're gonna put out an apb on his car hahah.
When I had my 350z I kept my dealer plates on for over a year simply to abuse the toll roads.
Old 08-17-06, 08:00 AM
tjp
Rookie

CraZchris,

I live in the Bay Area also. I keep mine in the storage compartment between the seats and take it out and lay it on the dash when crossing the bridge. It's far too ugly to fix permanently to the windshield.
Old 08-17-06, 11:27 AM
RaZoRaMoN
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ihkskim
why don't you just take it out whenever you need to use it
That's what I do, just keep it in the middle console and when you need it place it on the dash and put it back when you don't need it. It would bug me to have it on my windshield all the time.
Old 08-17-06, 04:12 PM
Frisco
Driver

Grapevine lexus had some Lexus tolltag covers. Don't know if you guys have the same shape size though.
Old 08-17-06, 04:39 PM
david_s
Driver School Candidate

Lower left-hand corner of the windshield for me. Not really in the way as far as I'm concerned. Guess I'm just used to it.
Old 08-17-06, 04:47 PM
shoei
Driver

Is there any danger of having your transponder being duped by someone and stealing your account to use on a regular basis?
Old 08-17-06, 05:49 PM
mr.BeboT
Driver

Well I used to hide it until I started doing a daily commute across the 241(Socal). To me it's not worth being pulled over for not having a transponder THEN getting tagged for tint, no front plates, etc. When my daily commute does not involve the toll road I will remove it.
Old 08-17-06, 06:46 PM
emissivity

I place my Fastrak right behind the rearview mirror and next to GPS antenna. There's a black sticker on the windshield so it hides it from outside view. It's hardly noticible inside.

Quick Reply: Fastrak transponder... Where do you put it?