IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus..Reliable? Not quite

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-06, 01:26 PM
supaIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time for you to trade your IS in for a Yaris.
Old 08-19-06, 01:26 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It's funny that you instantly blame lexus for your problem... yet I bet it turns out to be user error. Amazing... typical "blame someone else" mentality.
Old 08-19-06, 01:30 PM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by inecstaz
I dont know why people would leave it in 'ON'... when we have an "auto" feature.
Because I hate driving home in the middle of the day, into the garage, and having the headlights turn on for 5 seconds before I shut the car off.
Old 08-19-06, 01:49 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can easily say it's unreliable.. It left me stuck home.. lol. Ok what happened was the car was left on the "On" setting, but I've done that before on older cars for even longer periods of time and it was never completely dead. Also, remember my battery has barely been used, I never just sit in the car and listen to the radio while the car is off, plus my car has only 2,500 miles and was always kept in a heated garage..For this amount of money, the car should shut itself off after a certain amount of time..
Old 08-19-06, 02:07 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats why people should lock their doors no matter what. I even lock my doors in the garage, just in case someone crazy breaks in... (never happened, hopefully it wont in the future either). If a door isnt shut all the way, at least you'll know with that long as* annoying beep when you try to lock the doors.
You should probably reconsider locking your car in your garage. Someone DID break into my garage last month and smashed my driver window to get my radar detector. Now I try to leave it unlocked in the garage since it took 3 weeks for the dealer to get all the parts to fix my window.

Back on topic ... Did you leave the trunk popped over night? I noticed that my headlights will not turn off automatically if the trunk is popped.
Old 08-19-06, 02:22 PM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by Tony1
I can easily say it's unreliable.. It left me stuck home.. lol. Ok what happened was the car was left on the "On" setting, but I've done that before on older cars for even longer periods of time and it was never completely dead. Also, remember my battery has barely been used, I never just sit in the car and listen to the radio while the car is off, plus my car has only 2,500 miles and was always kept in a heated garage..For this amount of money, the car should shut itself off after a certain amount of time..
America at its best. You left the car on, you didn't bother to look at the manual where you'd find no evidence that the car would shut itself off if you were stupid enough to leave it on, and you blame Lexus. Classic.
Old 08-19-06, 02:32 PM
golfproatl
Pole Position

For this amount of money, the car should shut itself off after a certain amount of time..[/QUOTE]

Wow!!! are you serious? You expect that the car should have known that you did not mean to leave it in the on position??

I for one would not want the car to decide for me what it thought I wanted. If I put it in the "on" position, it damn well better stay on until I decide to turn it off!!
Old 08-19-06, 02:36 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by golfproatl
For this amount of money, the car should shut itself off after a certain amount of time..

Wow!!! are you serious? You expect that the car should have known that you did not mean to leave it in the on position??

I for one would not want the car to decide for me what it thought I wanted. If I put it in the "on" position, it damn well better stay on until I decide to turn it off!!
i think he meant the battery [system] should turn itself off by itself when it drains down to the last 10% and if you want it to continue, you would be force to turn it back on. not an unreasonable request considering the benefits. do other cars do that?
Old 08-19-06, 03:04 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Dude, what time do you get up, 5:40PM?
some banks close at noon on saturdays... mine does at least hahah.
Old 08-19-06, 03:06 PM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you kept it in the "on" position??? was the engine running also? what were you doing in the "on" position anyways? usually ppo stay in the "acc" position when they listen to the radio or whatnot.
Old 08-19-06, 03:51 PM
OK_Sooners
Driver School Candidate

they did when I was at the service dept, and I asked them.

I dont know why people would leave it in 'ON'... when we have an "auto" feature. I hate it when people have their lights FULL ON during the day... looks kind of weird. I like the look of the DRL instead.
Guess when have our own styles... I for one love the HID look 24/7... The "DRL"s are 2 yellow IMHO...

But back on topic.... I always leave them on ON... and they always go off after a min. Also get in the habbit of locking your door... if you left a door open or something it will beep at you telling you something is up.... No little safety valve....

Last edited by OK_Sooners; 08-19-06 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-19-06, 04:50 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you take the key fob with you when you left the car? I'm surprised it would stay in the "on" position without a key fob within range.

If you left the car in the "on" position AND left the transmitter in the car, then Lexus should overnight you a trout to slap yourself with.
Old 08-19-06, 05:06 PM
terp05
Driver

As far as leaving a door open- I've experienced that the dome lights and everything shut off after about 15 minutes when the doors are open...happened to me while I was detailing my interior. Pretty neat feature
Old 08-19-06, 06:19 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 15951
Did you take the key fob with you when you left the car? I'm surprised it would stay in the "on" position without a key fob within range.

If you left the car in the "on" position AND left the transmitter in the car, then Lexus should overnight you a trout to slap yourself with.

The fob was not left anywhere in the garage.. To answer Kensteele's question, No I don't think any other cars have this feature, where they shut
down to conserve power when the battery level is nearing low. (that I've ever heard of).. I'm surprised by that.
Old 08-19-06, 07:43 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

The fob was not left anywhere in the garage.. To answer Kensteele's question, No I don't think any other cars have this feature, where they shut
down to conserve power when the battery level is nearing low. (that I've ever heard of).. I'm surprised by that.
all i've heard of is cars with a reserve battery so when you main battery dies, you flip the switch on that battery and you now have access to the reserve.

Quick Reply: Lexus..Reliable? Not quite