IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus..Reliable? Not quite

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-06, 07:54 PM
l1tech
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kensteele
all i've heard of is cars with a reserve battery so when you main battery dies, you flip the switch on that battery and you now have access to the reserve.
I have been working on cars of all makes professionally for over 20 years now and have yet to see this on any vehicle short of a motor home or a big rig. Most of todays modern cars have the ability to shut off anything that is left on after a period of time goes by, there are even alot of cars that will start shutting off non essential systems if the vehicles voltage falls below a certian point while the vehicle is operating.
Old 08-19-06, 08:24 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the car does shut itself off after awhile. I know cause it has done this to me on a couple of ocasions while washing the car with the stereo on, it usually take about two hours. Then I start the car and let it run for about 30min to recharge the Batt. Never had a problem with it not starting though.
Old 08-19-06, 08:27 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by l1tech
I have been working on cars of all makes professionally for over 20 years now and have yet to see this on any vehicle short of a motor home or a big rig. Most of todays modern cars have the ability to shut off anything that is left on after a period of time goes by, there are even alot of cars that will start shutting off non essential systems if the vehicles voltage falls below a certian point while the vehicle is operating.
Actually, Sears had (maybe still has) a Diehard battery that keeps some in reserve. You flip a switch or **** on the battery after the main is depleated, to get the reserve. Enough to turn over the starter and get the engine running. Clever idea.
Old 08-20-06, 01:47 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tony1
I can easily say it's unreliable.. It left me stuck home.. lol. Ok what happened was the car was left on the "On" setting, but I've done that before on older cars for even longer periods of time and it was never completely dead. Also, remember my battery has barely been used, I never just sit in the car and listen to the radio while the car is off, plus my car has only 2,500 miles and was always kept in a heated garage..For this amount of money, the car should shut itself off after a certain amount of time..
Yes, blame on Lexus' realibility.
Old 08-20-06, 05:59 AM
l1tech
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Actually, Sears had (maybe still has) a Diehard battery that keeps some in reserve. You flip a switch or **** on the battery after the main is depleated, to get the reserve. Enough to turn over the starter and get the engine running. Clever idea.
After doing a little research I found the battery that you are talking about

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/mi...TE=Dec+1,+1999

however I can't find one single place to buy it at. I don't think the idea ever really took hold and personally I would think that the fumes from the battery would eat up the computer circuit inside of the battery, but kind of a cool idea nonetheless
Old 08-20-06, 08:44 AM
blk06is350
Rookie

**News Fla****** This just in: all over the world financial institutions have installed these great new machines called ATMs. They allow you to recieve CASH 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, even holidays. This has been a special report.

I thought you might not have received the memo.
Old 08-20-06, 09:28 AM
crazydrago
Rookie

This is a laim A$$ post. I guess we are all suckers for buying Lexus cars that are not reliable. Ill start a petition on a total recall of all Lexus IS models for lack of reliability, or better yet......i want want my money back.
This is an outrage!
Old 08-20-06, 09:43 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Default Yeah I don't think it ever really caught on

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...v29/ai_8530099
Old 08-20-06, 10:23 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

oh noes i had one problem therefore lexus is unreliable
Old 08-20-06, 10:45 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Ok guys, this is a joke, I guess you didn't see the sarcastic tone and my LOL'S.. Obviously, after I found out that there wasn't any electrical short
and that the battery was just drained, It turns out to be my fault.. However,All expensive cars should be able to go into a low power standby mode, when left on after a few hours, IMO..I doubt it would be an expensive
feature to have put in by the car makers.. After all I'm sure it's happened to
us all at one time or another.. Its happened to me a few times with other cars
but the battery still had enough juice left to get her started. Now calm down everyone...
Old 08-20-06, 11:25 AM
gshb
Lead Lap

i once left my car for a day (business trip) and when i got back i decided to press and hold the unlock key on the fob to open all the windows and sunroof. well after i did that and tried starting the car, the car stuttered when attempting to start the engine. it failed the first time and i freaked out. i tried again and it worked the second time. since then ive never used that feature of opening all the windows anymore...
Old 08-20-06, 01:17 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gshb
i once left my car for a day (business trip) and when i got back i decided to press and hold the unlock key on the fob to open all the windows and sunroof. well after i did that and tried starting the car, the car stuttered when attempting to start the engine. it failed the first time and i freaked out. i tried again and it worked the second time. since then ive never used that feature of opening all the windows anymore...
yeah you might not want to do that on a battery that been sitting for awhile but everyday use opening all windows on a good strong daily battery, doesn't even matter, in fact I've been using this feature weekly (it's hot around here) all summer long.
Old 08-20-06, 01:53 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

I think perhaps you have been sniffing too much of "that new car smell". Something like this is nine times out of ten, driver error. Get back to us if they find anything wrong with the car.
Old 08-20-06, 02:17 PM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CRB
I think perhaps you have been sniffing too much of "that new car smell". Something like this is nine times out of ten, driver error. Get back to us if they find anything wrong with the car.
It would be nice if you actually thought your post through before posting it..
I'm not sure if you actually have an IS, but in case you don't, You should know these cars have no keys, so there's no way I could of known what the problem was until power was restored. Then I saw that the dashboard lights where on, and then posted what had happened right away. No more comments from the peanut gallery, please...