IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Coming up on 10k service, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-06, 10:27 AM
S54toIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming up on 10k service, what should I do?

Well, it almost seems like yesterday was 5k service, and now I am 10k.

What exactly do they do for the 10k service besides oil change? and is it covered under warranty? I'm not used to paying for service coming from BMW. If I was to pay, how much would it be?
Old 08-20-06, 10:46 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

scheduled maintainance isnt covered under warranty (defects) your 5k was free.
Old 08-20-06, 12:27 PM
optsgirl
Rookie

Originally Posted by S54toIS350
Well, it almost seems like yesterday was 5k service, and now I am 10k.

What exactly do they do for the 10k service besides oil change? and is it covered under warranty? I'm not used to paying for service coming from BMW. If I was to pay, how much would it be?
This is directly from the 2006 IS Maintenance Schedule

Replace engine oil and oil filter
Road test vehicle
Visually inspect brake pads and rotors $166.49

Replace air conditioner filter (IS 350) $ 61.95
Rotate tires (IS 250AWD) $ 46.00
Old 08-20-06, 01:22 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are concerned with the high cost of scheduled maintenance and you intend to visit your local lexus dealership, you may want to do what i did and that is pay for in advance your all of your scheduled maintenance as a package for a discount up to i think it was 45k miles.

unless something is wrong with my car from now on, i take it in, let them keep it awhile while i drive the loaner, come pick it up at the end of the day, full of gas, no charge.
Old 08-20-06, 02:29 PM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

Ken, how much did you pay about a grand or so?
Old 08-20-06, 02:40 PM
Immortal54
Driver School Candidate

I just had my 10k done and the total came out to be $183.01. It was an oil change and replace a/c filter with misc inspections.
Old 08-20-06, 03:05 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
if you are concerned with the high cost of scheduled maintenance and you intend to visit your local lexus dealership, you may want to do what i did and that is pay for in advance your all of your scheduled maintenance as a package for a discount up to i think it was 45k miles.
These are generally not worth it, unless they're giving you a great price (<$600). They only benefit the dealer, as (1) assumes you keep the car for a long time, 4-5 years, and (2) requires that you take it to that particular dealership.
Old 08-20-06, 03:08 PM
jezza
Driver

Originally Posted by Immortal54
I just had my 10k done and the total came out to be $183.01. It was an oil change and replace a/c filter with misc inspections.
Forgive me, but that's funny. I have to continually remind myself how much money I save by doing all my own maintenance. I paid about $45 for my oil/filter. The cabin a/c filter is a simple replacement, and the filter was $30 online. Checking your brake pads takes about as much time as it takes to pull the front wheels off (you can get a good look at the rear pads without pulling the wheels).
Old 08-20-06, 04:19 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheNewGuy
Ken, how much did you pay about a grand or so?
Looking it up now.....

Edit: the Search feature is not working right now when I went back to lookup what I posted last year. From memory, I would say it was about a 20% saving and maybe I paid $1k or abouts.

Last edited by kensteele; 08-20-06 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-20-06, 04:19 PM
dfw350
Lead Lap

most people who drive a lexus dont do their own maintenance i would assume.
Old 08-20-06, 04:29 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TimboIS
These are generally not worth it, unless they're giving you a great price (<$600). They only benefit the dealer, as (1) assumes you keep the car for a long time, 4-5 years, and (2) requires that you take it to that particular dealership.
Here the way I look at it and my thinking is based on my last car and my general habits overall, so I realize this isn't for everyone but:

1)Am I going to take my car in for service at a Lexus dealership only? Yes, I would never take my Lexus car in for service any place else....ever.
2)How about this particular dealership? There are only two Lexus dealerships in town, one is right near both my home and work and one is near the airport almost an hour away, both are in another state. It is almost impossible that I would have a reason to go to the other dealership.
3)Do I care about how much the dealership is making? No, not so long as I'm making money off the deal. Why would I go into the dealership two or three times a year and pay full price when I could pay it all upfront (since it really wasn't that much money) and get a pretty good discount considering the cost of money? I would have almost certainly had to pay the money one way or another and to me, being able to get my maintenance and not having to pay each time matters to me.
4)Will I keep the car long enough for this to matter? Most likely. I used to be a high-mileage driver about 20k miles a year. I thought 45k would be here in no time. So far I am averaging 12k a year which is good. Will I keep the car....I'm planning to keep it until 2008 or the IS500 whichever is sooner. I think...I think...the unused portion of this maintenance contract is refundable.
5)Is a good relationship with one dealership important? Read some of the threads on here....I think it is.
Old 08-20-06, 04:44 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That seems exceedingly high for an oil change and a replacement cabin air filter. I'd just as soon skip having some mechanic "road test" my vehicle and charge me for it.

On past vehicles I've had, I crossed out all "inspections" and paid only for the tangible items. If the car is on the lift and they don't notice something like an exhaust shield hanging off without being paid extra to notice it, then they shouldn't be working on cars.

For those interested, I did this on a lease car, and had no problem whatsoever at lease end. I saved over $500 in BS "inspection" charges over the life of the lease.
Old 08-20-06, 08:10 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Default what a deal !

Originally Posted by Immortal54
The SouthWest Virginia Lexus IS350 club, Has a deal: You bring your IS350, for $50 we'll supply the oil and filter, Your choice oil, and we'll even let you help & ask questions. You will learn about your car, know its done right and we can even check the brake pads while you clean the bugs off your bumper.
We won't open the beer until we get the drain plug back in and the oil back in the motor

Holy crap! I never realized my wife and relatives owe me so much everytime I work on their cars. $183 thats wild . I need to raise my rates. Twenty dollars was chump change.
Old 08-21-06, 11:13 AM
sailing217
Pole Position

Do the Toyota Dealerships have the same oil filters our cars use? Toyota Dealership is <3 miles away, Lexus is 30 miles.

When it's out of warranty and rubber seals are breaking down, then I'll let them do the 'inspections'.
Old 08-21-06, 01:53 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Do they *have* to do the inspections? Can i just ask them to do the 10k oil change and nothing else?

Quick Reply: Coming up on 10k service, what should I do?