IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A Track Day at Willow Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-06, 09:42 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
Agree with ff. It's the power to weight ratio that determines speed.
dont forget braking and cornering ability in addition to power/weight ratio for overall speed
Old 08-22-06, 10:07 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
I believe it kicks in only when it detects or anticipates slippage/rotation.
That's my point. I don't know much about VDIM, but I would have expected VDIM to anticipate slippage WAY below the threshold of grip for the Hoosiers. Since it didn't, I guess VDIM actually waits for measurable slippage to actually occur before interfering.
Old 08-22-06, 10:44 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
The fact of the matter is that the IS350 weighs 700+ pounds more than the S2000, which negates any difference in power.

The S2000 puts down significantly more power than the Elise. Does that mean that the S2000 is faster?
It does not negate anything if it puts down enough power to outrun the lighter car.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...rts-page5.html

0-60: 5.5 seconds
1/4 Mile: 14.0

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...xus-is350.html
0-60: 5.1 seconds
1/4 Mile: 13.7

And yes, the S2k in the first link is the model year with higher displacement. Those numbers sure do seem to indicate the IS350 is the faster straight line vehicle despite the weight. So much for the theory that the extra power is negated by the weight.
Old 08-22-06, 10:50 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

BY THE WAY for those of you who think I didn't push the car hard enough ! the Temperature gauge went 3/4 the way and coolant sprayed all over the engine !
This is not a good sign for those that want to track their cars. How long did it take to get that hot? My water temp never goes much more than one needle width past the middle on my M5 but the straight six has lots of room around it in the engine bay (and a pretty beefy radiator and oil cooler). Does the IS have an oil cooler?
Old 08-22-06, 10:56 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

VDIM depends on wheel speed inputs and yaw. It looks at individual wheels and compares them, using yaw to decide if something bad is happening. If they don't look bad according to the algorithms they used, then VSC and TRAC won't do anything. I'm actually pretty impressed with how little it interferes with my driving. It's lightyears better than the TRAC in the Supra.
Old 08-22-06, 12:03 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

What was the temp and humidity at the track? Are you using the factory fill of coolant? I plan to change to an 85% water / 15% anti-freeze mix with Redline Water Wetter and a higher pressure radiator cap before I hit the track.
Old 08-22-06, 12:13 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ramon
It does not negate anything if it puts down enough power to outrun the lighter car.
Sure you don't want to revise that statement?

Those numbers you posted... were tests run on different days, with different drivers + track conditions + fuel. And it's just one example. I've seen test results for the S2000 that match the IS350's.

Add a few curves to that drag strip, and the IS is toast.
Old 08-22-06, 12:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Willow Springs is in the high desert. Not far from Edwards Air Force Base. Humidity near zero. Ok, not quite zero, but you get the idea. Temps this time of year are triple digit. It's not exactly the most hospitable environment.

However, Honda has a test track not too far from Willow Springs that makes the Willow Spring big track look tiny. I saw it from the air on the way to pick up my IS. There is no good reason the engine should have had issues with cooling.
Old 08-22-06, 12:43 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
Sure you don't want to revise that statement?

Those numbers you posted... were tests run on different days, with different drivers + track conditions + fuel. And it's just one example. I've seen test results for the S2000 that match the IS350's.

Add a few curves to that drag strip, and the IS is toast.
I'm sure I don't... The IS was tested in 90+ degree weather, so the conditions were actually pretty bad for the IS. The curves are irrelivent, I already said the S2k would be better on the twists and that the IS is faster in a STRAIGHT with real evidence to support that claim. Not just some very questionable dyno numbers of a SINGLE S2K while at the same time underrating the IS350 RWHP numbers by 20.

Most IS350 owners here who have went to the track have also posted sub 14 second times.
Old 08-22-06, 12:51 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Something that I've wondered for a while now is if high humidity would improve the effectiveness of a radiator, since the humid air would have a higher heat capacity.
Old 08-22-06, 12:54 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

This IS vs S2000 debate is getting old, BUT something that hasn't been stated is that the S2000 requires a HUGE 9K RPM differential-busting clutch dump to achieve a sub-14 second 1/4 mile run. The IS will do a sub-14 second run without even power-braking.
Old 08-22-06, 02:17 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ramon
[...]and that the IS is faster in a STRAIGHT with real evidence to support that claim.
I'll give you this much (and that's all): the IS is easier to drive faster in a straight line. Hee haw.
Old 08-22-06, 02:21 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

It doesn't matter what you "give" me... The IS350 is faster... I'll trust the C&D numbers as well as several track numbers from forum members before I trust... someones mere opinion on which car they think should be faster :P
Old 08-22-06, 04:05 PM
KKelly
Lead Lap

Bottom line, on a roadcourse if you can drive well you should be quicker in an S2000. By well I mean able to maintain speed in the corners. Assuming you can do that, the S2000 is close enough to the IS350 in terms of power to take advantage of the huge difference in weight -- in the corners.

Forget mag times, I always compare my M5 by what happens on the straights assuming near equal exits. At Laguna, as soon as I had shifted to 3rd gear (100mph) an S2000 had to let me by. It was a good direct power comparison. I should not have been able to catch him in the first place but he wasn't so quick in the corners. People really hate being passed by a 4-door. :-)
Old 08-22-06, 05:00 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Agreed, an S2000 is definatly more suited for a roadcourse than an IS.

Quick Reply: A Track Day at Willow Springs