IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

A Track Day at Willow Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-06, 05:47 PM
HaveBlue
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last few weeks has been unbearably hot in SOCAL. That's got to be hard on it in the High Desert with the motor going 100%. The Streets of Willow is a track that's really hard on a vehicle. You use all the power and braking the car has to offer but don't reach the high speeds that help keep it cool. I went through a full set of brakes on my Camaro years ago after a day of llapping there. Doesn't say much for the Camaro actually as my Rx7 suffered no ills other than brake fade.

For the people who say VDIM/VSC doesn't interfere, have you tried driving the car with the system disabled?? Totally different car IMO. It is affecting the vehicle dynamics long before a real sideways bonehead cornering maneuver causes it to complain outright.

It takes power and handling to be a winner. To see which car, an S2000 or IS350 is faster, you'd have to put the same person in both and compare lap times. My guess is driver ability might come into play more than the difference in the two cars. People always want to improve their car but rarely improve their ability to use it. Note everyone's sig line never mentions that they can negotiate a racing line or heel and toe a stick.
Old 08-22-06, 05:55 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I've read here, you can't really disable VDIM, just TRAC and VSC. I have driven the car with TRAC and VSC disabled (by doing the "brake dance"), and it was only different when I forced it to be (WOT around a corner). I haven't been to a track with my IS yet, so I can't comment on that.
Old 08-23-06, 09:08 AM
KKelly
Lead Lap

I don't know how you could drive a manual on track and not heel and toe (or in my case ball of foot (on brake) and side of foot (on gas). My first car, a Datsun 510, had a floor mounted gas pedal which really helps you learn it easily. The M5 does as well so you just kind of roll your foot and it is hard to miss it. I would agree same driver in both cars to really compare. However, you can assume a very good driver in both cars could corner way faster in an S2000 just due to the gross weight difference.
Old 08-23-06, 10:29 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KKelly
However, you can assume a very good driver in both cars could corner way faster in an S2000 just due to the gross weight difference.
A heavy car can corner well too, if the suspension is up to the task. Look at the M3. In base form, it weighs 3415 lbs, which isn't far off from the IS. But the M3 handles incredibly well. The IS' suspension isn't up the task, and I believe that to be a bigger hindrance than just portly weight.

Originally Posted by Ramon
It doesn't matter what you "give" me... The IS350 is faster... I'll trust the C&D numbers as well as several track numbers from forum members before I trust... someones mere opinion on which car they think should be faster
LOL, this guy trusts C&D numbers... "I don't care who you are, that's funny!"
I don't expect you to automatically accept my statements. And to that end, I guess I don't really care what you think. I've seen enough proof that the two cars return nearly identical straight-line speed values, and that the S2000 will run circles around the IS on the track, to come to the conclusion that the S2000 is faster. Your definition of faster evidently isn't the same as mine.
Old 08-23-06, 11:02 AM
Hip_hop77
Pole Position

s2000 is made for grip driving...
and yes the is350 is WAY faster than S2000..
my friend has a s2k and we raced bout 6 times...
i won everytime....
on a straight away ofcourse... bout a 1/4mile
Old 08-23-06, 01:06 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hip_hop77
s2000 is made for grip driving...
and yes the is350 is WAY faster than S2000..
my friend has a s2k and we raced bout 6 times...
i won everytime....
on a straight away ofcourse... bout a 1/4mile
...which goes back to an earlier comment that I made. The IS350 is easier to drive fast. Doesn't mean that it's faster.
Old 08-23-06, 02:40 PM
meteoro
Pole Position

Sweet!!!!!!

Looks amazing! good to know that the brakes do not fade.
What is interesting is how much body roll the car has even with the coilovers.

Nice to see others taking the IS out to the track.
I have been auto-x'ng mine since early in the year, I have yet to take it out on the track. I cannot wait.
Old 08-23-06, 02:44 PM
meteoro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by talalhz
To answer:
The car has stock brakes.
The VDIM never came on because I was driving smooth (3 years auto-X Solo II experince) ane 275 rear hoosier race slicks are way too sticky.
My CTS-V is 100% stock. My IS350 has Tein Coilovers with EDFC.
BY THE WAY for those of you who think I didn't push the car hard enough ! the Temperature gauge went 3/4 the way and coolant sprayed all over the engine !

If you have coilovers, and you have that much body roll, you were pushing the car!!!! Anyone who says otherwise have not been out on a track.
Old 08-23-06, 03:01 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
A heavy car can corner well too, if the suspension is up to the task. Look at the M3. In base form, it weighs 3415 lbs, which isn't far off from the IS. But the M3 handles incredibly well. The IS' suspension isn't up the task, and I believe that to be a bigger hindrance than just portly weight.

LOL, this guy trusts C&D numbers... "I don't care who you are, that's funny!"
I don't expect you to automatically accept my statements. And to that end, I guess I don't really care what you think. I've seen enough proof that the two cars return nearly identical straight-line speed values, and that the S2000 will run circles around the IS on the track, to come to the conclusion that the S2000 is faster. Your definition of faster evidently isn't the same as mine.
Apparently you've also seen an s2000 put down 240rwhp and think that's the norm. Are we to believe that too? Oh, and lets not forget that you're also under the impression that the IS puts down 240 RWHP when all the dyno figures we've seen (mine included) range from the high 250's to the low 260's. Do we believe you or the actual numbers? I think i'll go with the hard evidence thanks.

No one is arguing that the s2000 is a better roadcourse vehicle.

IS350 is not only easier to drive faster, but it is faster. in a straight
Old 08-23-06, 03:22 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Since I've never noticed VDIM making a beeping sound (just a tiny flashing dash light), I think either he wasn't pushing it all the way, or didn't notice the tiny blinking light. The ONLY way to find the threshold of grip is to exceed it at least once. If VDIM never intervened, then I assume he never found the threshold, so there's no telling if he was pushing it as hard as he could have.
Old 08-23-06, 05:13 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ramon
IS350 is not only easier to drive faster, but it is faster when raced in a straight line against an S2000 driver that is a novice at rowing his own gears.
I fixed your post.
Old 08-23-06, 05:32 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ff_
I fixed your post.
You are getting rediculous! I'm a HUGE S2000 fan, and really miss mine. However, I'm not living in dream land that the F22 (or F20) is anywhere close to the 2GR in power. Do I need to show pics of the 10+ F22 dyno plots that I have on my computer to prove that they are not putting out more than 205 rwhp on DynoJets?!? Keep in mind that I'm even more familiar than you of the famous dynapack results that you refer to, but it was not repeatable on a Dynojet, and we haven't seen a DynaPack plot for an IS350 yet. Your argument needs to end!
Old 08-23-06, 05:40 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

You're trying to compare the fastest stock s2000 times that you've seen (heard of is probably more accurate) to average IS350 times and calling them equal. If you're going to compare, it would be nice if you don't try and cheat.

If you want to compare the fastest stock s2000 times, then lets compare them to the fastest stock IS times which are low-mid 13's... Which makes the IS faster.

The fastest IS350's are faster than the fastest s2000's
The average IS350 is faster then the average s2000's
The slowest IS350's are faster than the slowest s2000's

The numbers prove it and you haven't shown anything to the contrary. All I see is someone who is grossly misinformed on both vehicles. The only part you got correct was that the s2000 is a better roadcourse car, but that isn't saying much since nobody really disagreed with that assessment.

Anyway, I think i've made my point clear as well as backed it up so I won't bother replying to anymore of your hearsay.