IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Does Lexus equip their cars with EDR's?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 07:55 PM
menech
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmusic
What also worries me is the tracking system in the NAV. A cousin of mine that is a leadfoot was traveling on vacation down an interstate in his GMC Denali a few years ago. He was traveling approximately 85-90 mph, slightly faster than the traffic flow. On-Star called him asking if there was an emergency and they had been tracking him while he was driving fast.

Next time when renting a car with a NAV unit installed, check the fine print of the contract. I have seen reports of some companies adding fees due to speeding. They get the data from the onboard NAV unit.

In 1996 I was at my local Chevy dealer when a customer that had been test driving a new Impalla came back. He complained of the engine missing. As he was dealing with the salesman a mechanic attached their scanner to the Impalla. The mechanic told the manager the customer had been driving 115 mph when a spark plug wire came loose. The customer was promply esorted out of the dealership.

Its just a matter of time until insurance agencies can legally obtain your up to the second driving information.

man thats scary stuff....I'm torn on this one. I like the fact that people like in lobux's post can be caught and the data can be put to good use, but OnStar calling me would freak me out. The speed limits are already silly on some highways (55MPH) but to have a digital system enforce those is really scary. I would think it would affect traffic heavily too...imagine if nobody was speeding and actually driving 55 MPH on an interstate! It would be like that video those college kids did
Old 08-22-06, 09:26 AM
ZD-Lexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's it I am riding a bike to work from now on. lol!
Old 08-22-06, 11:56 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it's time to get rid of my toll tag, since the government might have sntennas on all the light posts ...

Seriously though, the government already has the ability to track our speeds on toll ways using the toll tags, but I haven't heard of them taking advantage of it (in Texas anyway).
Old 08-22-06, 12:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,389 Posts

They did in Kansas when I was a kid in '72. They got your time stamped on your ticket, and if you didn't take enough time to get to your exit without speeding, you got a ticket. We always planned to stop and have something to eat to add some time to our travel.
Old 08-22-06, 12:45 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They did in Kansas when I was a kid in '72. They got your time stamped on your ticket, and if you didn't take enough time to get to your exit without speeding, you got a ticket. We always planned to stop and have something to eat to add some time to our travel.
Bastards ...

That wouldn't work here in Dallas, since there are toll booths every few miles.