IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS Series in a Coupe? Convertable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-06, 08:41 PM
DRIVEN1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS Series in a Coupe? Convertable?

I was talking with a person high up in the Lexus organization and he told me that they had original plans, that dates back before the IS250/350 even was released, to introduce a IS Coupe and possibly a IS convertable off the Coupe. There is no hard evidence that this is still on the agenda, but I thought it was an interesting thought. A lighter, sporter, and faster IS350 in a 2 door coupe could be very HOT. Look out G35's if this happens. Personally, I could care less about the convertable idea. Give me an IS500 Coupe, and now we are talking.

Anyway, I thought I would post this information so you can all think about it and discuss it on this forum. Maybe if there is enough chatter and positive feedback, Lexus will follow through with the plans they already started.
Old 08-22-06, 08:45 PM
lexem
Pole Position

I thought that was the LF-C concept (IS coupe)? Am I wrong?
Old 08-22-06, 08:48 PM
DRIVEN1
Driver

I don't know? If there is any more info you have, please post. I just heard this direct from his mouth tonight. The idea of a Coupe had some interesting ideas. . .
Old 08-22-06, 08:49 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will love to see IS in coupe but not in Convertable... maybe hot top convertable like SC not soft top one...
Old 08-22-06, 08:52 PM
paeko73
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DRIVEN1
I was talking with a person high up in the Lexus organization and he told me that they had original plans, that dates back before the IS250/350 even was released, to introduce a IS Coupe and possibly a IS convertable off the Coupe. There is no hard evidence that this is still on the agenda, but I thought it was an interesting thought. A lighter, sporter, and faster IS350 in a 2 door coupe could be very HOT. Look out G35's if this happens. Personally, I could care less about the convertable idea. Give me an IS500 Coupe, and now we are talking.

Anyway, I thought I would post this information so you can all think about it and discuss it on this forum. Maybe if there is enough chatter and positive feedback, Lexus will follow through with the plans they already started.
"convertable off the Coupe" into what? back to be the sedan? or into an IS motorcycle? I have no idea!
Old 08-22-06, 08:55 PM
DRIVEN1
Driver

Convertable made from the Coupe layout. It wasn't that complicated I thought?
Old 08-22-06, 08:59 PM
viettho
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hope this will make you guys feel better

At the Geneva Motor Show 2005 Toyota debuted with the replacement for the Lexus IS compact sedan. Now the Japanese car maker is working on a high performance coupe version, according to rumours dubbed IS 500. Most likely it is powered by a 4.3 litre V8 32 valve engine delivery approximately 300 HP. This car is set to become a rival against models like BMW M3 and Mercedes CLK 55 AMG.

Toyota sells a huge range of cars in Japan from small economy models to high-end luxury sedans. But only lately has it introduced the Lexus name in the Japanese home market where even luxury cars have previously carried the Toyota name. As part of the new brand’s introduction, the company is coming out with a wide range of new models over the next few years to carry the Lexus name both at home and abroad. Recent new Lexus models have shown the company’s direction towards high performance while still offering high levels of luxury.

The test vehicle in the photos is an early prototype built using the production body panels of a current Japanese market model, the Toyota Crown Royal. Note that the car has right-hand drive, typical of vehicles sold in Japan. The Crown Royal makes a perfect mule for development of a high-performance model since it already has a V8 engine and offers a choice of rear or all wheel drive, so all these vital powertrain pieces fit easily. Next the body was shortened, bringing it down to the length of its future coupe configuration. Note the section just behind the car’s B-pillar, in which several inches of length were cut out of the rear doors and the roof. Shortening the car’s platform down to the length of the final car allows high-performance driving tests to be done with the car’s correct wheelbase and weight distribution.

Also note the numerous modifications that indicate high-performance nature of the future model, including the quad exhaust pipes, rear deck spoiler and the sporty alloy wheels shod with very low-profile tires.

Since a complete real prototype of the new IS 500 Coupe has not yet been photographed, below is a computer generated image suggesting how the new model could look like upon its release latest in two years time from now.

original post: http://www.worldcarfans.com/spyphoto...ml/country/jcf
Old 08-22-06, 09:01 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Uhhh... I don't think that article is accurate at all... 4.3 V8 making 300HP? Hello!!!! We're already at 306HP with a V6!
Old 08-22-06, 09:03 PM
menech
Lead Lap

heh the triple centered pipes is

good photochop though
Old 08-22-06, 10:31 PM
DRIVEN1
Driver

Originally Posted by Ramon
Uhhh... I don't think that article is accurate at all... 4.3 V8 making 300HP? Hello!!!! We're already at 306HP with a V6!
You are probably correct that the specs are a little off, however, our IS350 is NOT 306hp to the rear wheels. The IS500 may be 300hp to the rear wheels which would be about 50 or more than ours. Just a thought . . .
Old 08-22-06, 11:26 PM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DRIVEN1
You are probably correct that the specs are a little off, however, our IS350 is NOT 306hp to the rear wheels. The IS500 may be 300hp to the rear wheels which would be about 50 or more than ours. Just a thought . . .
Yes, I know it isn't 306 to the rear wheels... Since when do news or magazine articles report RWHP anyway? No where does that say 300RWHP, it simply says 300HP which is crank HP unless otherwise specified, hence, my compariosn to the 306HP of the IS350 is a valid one.

I also doubt it's going to have a 4.3 litre engine. It is very unlikely that Toyota is going to develop 3 all new V8 engiens. A 4.6, 5.0 and a 4.3 as this suggests. It is also very unlikely that it will use the current 4.3 V8 as it is less powerfull than the 3.5 V6
Old 08-23-06, 08:37 AM
TheNewGuy
Pole Position

Well you know about the gentlemens agreement in Japan about the HP's not being advertised at more than 276 which is always sandbagged, case inpoint the TT Supra rated here at 330HP and advertised in Japan at 276...before anyone says it yes 300 is more than 276 but not by much maybe they picked 300 cause it is a nice round number. Dunno just a guess
Old 08-23-06, 10:02 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

that agreement went out a long time ago when the Acura made the RL 290 hp, doesnt matter anymore
Old 08-23-06, 10:35 AM
acsan
Driver

By the way guys, it's "convertible" not "convertable."
Old 08-23-06, 11:03 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by acsan
By the way guys, it's "convertible" not "convertable."
One more of those and you will have 100 posts under your belt

Quick Reply: IS Series in a Coupe? Convertable?