IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2007 IS shark fin pic

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 07:20 PM
lfangulo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up shark fin or dorsal fin

I like the fin I think it looks cool, but then again that is my opinion, and you all know about opinions they are like A_ _ H_ _ _s every body has one.

LOL
Old 08-29-06, 07:36 PM
Cornellian
Lead Lap

Those of you who said you dont like the shark fin... well... you're just jealous coz it's NOT on the 06 model but it is on the 07!!

....j/k I like it, thogh coz it will kinda distinguish the 07ers from the 06ers on the road.
Old 08-29-06, 08:05 PM
hotdawg
Driver School Candidate

I'm a noob, so bear with me, but here's a pic of my 07 350... You can hardly see the fin in this pic. If I can figure out how to upload better quality pictures, I'll post some tomorrow. BTW, my dealer said it was for GPS, but she didn't even know about the VSC disable switch, so take that with a grain of salt.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 IS shark fin pic-img_0343a.jpg  
Old 08-29-06, 08:13 PM
The Chad
Driver

Originally Posted by lfangulo
I like the fin I think it looks cool, but then again that is my opinion, and you all know about opinions they are like A_ _ H_ _ _s every body has one.

LOL
You left out the biggest part from your opinion statement. Everyone has one, and they all stink. lol

I like the fin, and living in the rural area that I do, I get a lot of dropouts from foilage and stuff in other cars, so anything to give the antenna better reception is a good idea to me.
Old 08-29-06, 08:19 PM
The Chad
Driver

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
a lot of the hondas and acuras have that lil square box antenna... except the RL which has a shark or dorsal or whatever you wanna call it fin. wonder why that is???
FWIW, the RL also has OnStar, which probably required a bigger antenna (It does on GM cars) to integrate the factory phone, which is separate from the Bluetooth.

Just a thought.
Old 08-29-06, 11:03 PM
RCPiercy
Driver

Wonder what the fin does to the drag coefficient.
Old 08-30-06, 01:03 AM
AndrewDC
Rookie

Originally Posted by RCPiercy
I was wondering that myself. When the 2nd gen IS was first released, there was much talk of its impressive aerodynamics. They made it seem like the entire car body was designed for aerodynamics... then Lexus goes and adds this.
Old 08-30-06, 06:32 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RCPiercy
Probably changes it from .28 to .28000000001
Old 08-31-06, 08:27 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SolaraToIS
Probably changes it from .28 to .28000000001
06, 06, 06
Ha Ha...This thread is hilarious. I still hate it...I think?
Yeah, I hate it...
Old 08-31-06, 10:17 PM
Reyngel
Lead Lap

I'm very disappointed with the fin. It looks like a total after-thought, and doesn't match the sleek design of the rest of the car. Lexus was near perfect design-wise with the IS... until now.
Old 09-01-06, 04:50 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default All '07 IS models will have the sharkfins..

All GS models will get them too. The sharkfin on the IS will be used for the XM radio option. On the GS it can be used for XM or the new Lexus Link option. All IS and GS models will have a VDIM off or VSC off switch for those that can't dance. Earlier in the thread a poster in PA complained that his dealer told him this and that. The Eastern region build is different from the California or Florida build so his dealer was telling him the truth regarding the build here in the East. This is mostly IS250 AWD territory. A few RWD manuals come in but RWD automatics must be ordered. Wood is now an option on the AWD's in '07.

Rock
Old 09-01-06, 06:37 AM
Lenscap
Driver

Originally Posted by Reyngel
I'm very disappointed with the fin. It looks like a total after-thought, and doesn't match the sleek design of the rest of the car. Lexus was near perfect design-wise with the IS... until now.
I completely disagree. I think the Lexus shark fin is the best designed one out there. It is very sleek and integrated in my opinion. It looks far better than the square block Acura/Honda use. And look at Cadillac...their antennas are not even body color (they're always black). I think Lexus did a great job with the design of the antenna.
Old 09-01-06, 07:37 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I prefer the shark fin because it's what the other luxury makes are using... BMW, Mercedes, etc... It's now the standard, and will be accepted as such... Just like when mercedes first came out with the dual-oval headlamps on the s-class 6 years ago, everyone was sort of like "ewww", but once others started copying, you had to do it or else be left out... the shark fin is now the sign of a luxury car... Let's just hope kia/hyundai don't start putting fins on their cars :-)
Old 09-01-06, 09:20 AM
SolaraToIS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lenscap
I completely disagree. I think the Lexus shark fin is the best designed one out there. It is very sleek and integrated in my opinion. It looks far better than the square block Acura/Honda use. And look at Cadillac...their antennas are not even body color (they're always black). I think Lexus did a great job with the design of the antenna.
I totally agree. I saw it on mine yesterday after they unloaded it and I
was pleasantly surprised just how good it looked and fit the overall shape
of the car. Its smaller than BMW's fin and very aerodynamic looking.
It will be used for my XM so its a double win for me
Old 09-01-06, 10:11 AM
shoei
Driver

Originally Posted by sirCharles
06, 06, 06
Ha Ha...This thread is hilarious. I still hate it...I think?
Yeah, I hate it...
It looks ugly on the mags and the computer screen, but once you look at it in person, it isn't all that bad. I actually liked it when I saw it at the dealership. Now the problem is getting the 07 IS with the config I want and the price I want.

Quick Reply: 2007 IS shark fin pic