IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lexus IS250 and Saab 9-3 2.0t

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 06:45 AM
jzalkin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus IS250 and Saab 9-3 2.0t

My wife and I recently (last 2 months) leased a 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0t (auto, sunroof – her car) and bought a 2006 Lexus IS250 (Premium, Nav, 18" wheels – my car). I thought I would share my impression of these two cars. This is not a "versus" discussion, but a review of differences. Price difference is to be noted (MSRP: $28.5 for Saab and $36.5 for the Lexus).

Note: For perspective my wife’s last car was a 2002 VW Jetta 1.8t and mine was a 2004 Audi A4 1.8t Cab.

Exterior:
Both cars are sporty looking sedans, but have two distinct personalities. The Lexus is more aggressive looking. The Saab is sleeker and smoother and seems to be a more traditional design. Personal taste aside; the Saab tends to get more responses referring to it as smooth and the Lexus gets responses referring to the fact that it gets noticed . The Saab has been out a few years and the design still works – hopefully I will be able to say the same with the Lexus in a few years.

Lexus seems to have more thought on the details (ensuring that every aspect has been thought out and optimized) while the Saab seems to be focused more on the overall look and impression. Another way of putting it is that a person seems to appreciate the Lexus more as they step in close and look at small sections while the same person will get a better appreciation of the Saab as they stand back and take in the whole design.

Interior:
Each manufacturer takes a completely different approach. Not going to get into the technology aspect since the Lexus has the Nav, ventilated seats (nice) and we did not get similar options on the Saab. The lack of bluetooth on the Saab is unfortunate, but it does not bother my wife.

The Saab revels in being different and unique. Materials are lower quality than I would like, but it seems to work since the whole concept is different. From the display on the dash (gone in 2007), the ignition on the floor to the night panel – things are different. It has character and either you will love it or hate it – doesn’t seem to have much in between. The cabin is open and airy due to FWD and not having a drive tunnel to eat up space along with lower door sills. The car is more akin to Europe than Asia in terms of how it handles and the road noise that can be heard. The whole idea of Saab ownership seems to be focused on this character and being different. My wife loves that she rarely sees another Saab 9-3 and has never come across another Laser Red color.

The Lexus is a mix of sporty and luxury. It does lack a true identity and focus when compared to the Audi or most European luxury cars. Materials are best in class (fine carpet on the A pillar) and fit is as tight as I have ever seen. The luxury is amazing and that seems to be the main mission. It is quiet with the exception of some tire noise from the larger wheels. The cabin is tight with the drive tunnel and small windows (high door sills). The driver seems to have to “fit” this car and feel comfortable with the size. Once situated; it is a serene place to spend time in – I never get the feeling of needing to be in a hurry. A lot of cars need to be driven to be fun; the Lexus seems to be begging the person to sit back, relax and enjoy the journey – no hurry.

Dealership Experience:
Neither car has been in for service so this is a sales comment on the two dealerships. The Saab was a better, simpler experience due to not having a trade in and pricing (deals) well established. The Lexus dealership played typical “finance manager” games and was one of the worst experiences I have had (it cost them an extra $500 to get my business back).

The Saab salesman was a “Saab” guy and approached the discussion from a passionate point of view. This fit in with the uniqueness of the brand. The Lexus dealership is the worlds largest and it felt as I would expect – very business like. Both places made you feel comfortable, but the Lexus was focused on the luxury aspect (drinks, receptionist, ect). The Saab dealership was a nicer GM version (smaller, more personable, but not that upscale).

Bottom Line:
Reputations are well earned. The Saab is quirky and appeals to the part of a personality that strives to be different. The Lexus is luxurious and has thrown an element of sportiness (I know it is not a word) in with it. The Lexus is ahead of the Saab in most area, but the Saab’s personality is something that is unique and has appeal. Saab is close to negating that and will if they let the luxury aspect slide too much, but they have not allowed that yet.

Just my thoughts and ramblings… Jeff
Old 08-24-06, 06:57 AM
bgarre
Driver

Thanks Jeff, I enjoyed the read.
Old 08-24-06, 07:06 AM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good choose for your car!! no comment on SAAB...
Old 08-24-06, 07:19 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

I definately enjoy the ride, and tend not to be in a hurry as I love the feeling of driving the car. From the Nav + bluetooth to the cooled seats and awesome looks, its a must-have-cool-car!

Cheers,

-Bounce
Old 08-24-06, 09:17 AM
Ichigo
Pole Position

My co-worker got the SAAB Aero Anniversary edition around the same time I got my IS350. I agree that both cars are distinct in their own way, but I am extremely satisfied with my 2IS and dont think I would ever purchase the SAAB.
Old 08-24-06, 09:36 AM
menech
Lead Lap

yah same, one of my co-workers just picked up his Saab aero this weekend, I saw it parked this morning, gonna have to go check it out during lunch with him
Old 08-24-06, 01:39 PM
foe84
Rookie

never driven/rode in a saab, but the IS i love bc nobody really knows about it around me...especially the push start, which is like nasa esq to some people i know.
Old 08-24-06, 01:56 PM
MJB_LEX
Rookie

"I never get the feeling of needing to be in a hurry. A lot of cars need to be driven to be fun; the Lexus seems to be begging the person to sit back, relax and enjoy the journey – no hurry."

Sooo true. I have owned many VWs, this Lexus is my first Japanese car. All of my VWs were very fun to drive. I would find my self constantly driving fast (85+ on the freeway) and trying to get 'pole position' and get ahead of people. No so with the IS.

In the Lexus, I am more relaxed and laid back, I find myself putting along at 65 MPH on the freeway, enjoying the ride. Maybe I don't want to ride to end, so I go slower.
Old 08-25-06, 07:40 AM
jzalkin
Rookie

Originally Posted by foe84
never driven/rode in a saab, but the IS i love bc nobody really knows about it around me...especially the push start, which is like nasa esq to some people i know.
I guess some areas sell more than others. Multiple IS250s in my neighborhood and I see 2-3 of them a day here. Not as common as the new 3 series, but not that rare.