IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Tranny gone already

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-06, 01:55 PM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
I'd get it checked out. Mine is rock solid, tracks straight, and is very responsive.
Looks like you have the sport package? Mine doesn't, although it does have the 18 wheels w/ summer tires. Probably worth having them check out anyhow. The alignment might be off, or something loose.
Old 08-25-06, 02:01 PM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
Looks like you have the sport package? Mine doesn't, although it does have the 18 wheels w/ summer tires. Probably worth having them check out anyhow. The alignment might be off, or something loose.
Yup. That doesn't sound right. Ask to take a drive in another non-sport and compare. Something might be askew on yours.

Sorry for the thread drift. Now back to the original programming.
Old 08-25-06, 02:20 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ff_
More likely than not, he's just not used to the characteristics of 18" performance tires. I thought the same of my car, until I realized the tires were just more sensitive to the road and trying to follow grooves in the pavement.
Old 08-25-06, 02:20 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
This is not a new vs refurb tranny question because there are some refurbs that are just a good as new ones.

It is an original tranny the one that came with the car vs one that didn't come with the car...as in a couple of mechanics at an American facility installing your tranny using their books vs. the Japanese factory installing your tranny according to their spec. Probably nothing to worry about but I would take the latter any day.
I disagree with your 1st point. Would you take a 'refurbished' IS over a brand new one if your original IS is lemoned ???

However, you do have a point with a part that was originally installed at the factory vs one that is replaced at a dealer's service dept. Unfortunately, with transmissions, the point is moot. For this precise reason, manufacturer's don't want dealer techs opening up the case and monkeying around with the internals, so if a tranny is faulty, for whatever reason, you have to send the entire defective unit back to the factory and a 'new' one replaces it. Honda/Acura is the same, their service depts are not allowed to open the case, if it's deemed faulty they replace the entire tranny regardless of the severity of the problem.
Old 08-25-06, 04:37 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the 2001 acura cl type s the original transmission went out on me around 50k miles. so i knew they gave me a replacement refurb tranny and it worked out just fine.
Old 08-25-06, 04:47 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
i had the 2001 acura cl type s the original transmission went out on me around 50k miles. so i knew they gave me a replacement refurb tranny and it worked out just fine.
Do you still have the CL ? A better question is would you ever buy an Acura again ? I looked at the TL, but knowing Acura's track record with 5sp Auto trannies, I upgraded to the IS. I probably would not buy an Acura in the future . . .
Old 08-25-06, 08:06 PM
lechuck4lf
Rookie

Hey guys, not sure what transmission they are putting in but i am going to give them a call on monday and raise #@$% if they tell me a rebuilt one cause i did not just fork up the money on a new car to have a rebuilt tranny. I'm just pissed that this had to happen already, just pisses me right off. And yes they gave me a loaner... the good ole es330. whatev it works for now. Anything else i should ask them when i call.
Old 08-25-06, 08:20 PM
vlkcheng
Driver School Candidate

This is scary. I can't beleive this is happening to your new car. The reason I'm changing to Lexus because I had problems with my old car's tranny. Sure no carmaker are bulletproof. The thing I really like to know how many IS owners out there are having tranny problems. I would like to know if your problem is only an isolated case or has the new IS really got a design problem with the new tranny. I know other car companies like MB has lots of problems with their 7G and Alfa/Maserati have problems with their semi-automatic.
Old 08-25-06, 08:28 PM
lifeisgood
Pole Position

My experience with three car transmissions that were rebuilt or remanufactured.

1) the transmission in my 1998 Catera failed and was replaced with a one rebuilt by Ammco. It was never the same and failed two more times within about 10 thousand miles.

2) My wife's 2000 Toyota Sienna transmission developed a vibration at 102k miles. The factory warranty had been extended to 100k because of high failure rate for the trannies in this model year. First, Toyota would not cover the replacement because it was technically beyond the warranty--they eventually agreed to a replacement if I paid $500 for labor; a good deal considering the alternative was a $5000 bill for everything. This transmission was remanufactured to OEM specs--anything that could wear was replaced. We have 139k miles on the car and there have been absolutely no problems with the car

3) My 2003 Saturn Vue transmission failed at 90k miles and the aftermarket warranty company would only approve the use of a remanufactured transmission--no rebuild was permitted. The warranty was through GE financial.

With a repair shop/rebuild, the quality is only as good as the technician--you may luck out or not. If metal filings from stripped gears are not completely removed, for example, it won't be long before the transmission fails again. With a remanufactured transmission, pretty much everthing but the case is replaced--in a factory setting with a lot of quality control steps. Again, GE would only allow a remanufactured transmission in the Saturn.

Ask your dealer to explain what they mean by remanufactured transmission (what parts are replaced); ask if it will have the same warranty. I understand your concern because it's not "new", but based on my experience, I think you will be fine with a remanufactured transmission from Lexus.
Old 08-25-06, 08:40 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

as have been said, it is almost a certainty that you won't be getting a brand new transmission. i don't have my cl any longer but the replacement tranny that i rec'd was more than acceptable. probably because my car was already "old" and the original tranny went out something terrible, i would have taken anything. your car is new but unfortunately i don't know how you can get a new transmission unless you complain maybe. either way, no matter how you slice it, i don't think your car will be the same, acceptable and probably performing very well and up to your expections, but never 100% perfect...it's like if you can a broken leg it heals but....
Old 08-26-06, 03:19 AM
Gainesvill
Driver School Candidate

rebuild / refurb transmission may be ok, but the people that do the labor is usually the one that causes problem.

We all know there are plenty of good mechanics, but there are a lot more "just mechanics" out there.
Old 08-26-06, 05:08 AM
nighthawk
Pole Position

I remember someone on this board and their tranny went out on their IS after like 2000 miles also, they complained, and Lexus replaced the entire car because of such low mileage. The concerns raised by some of the other members are valid, it will never be the same. I would attempt to get Lexus to replace the whole care. A transmission should not go out on a 40+ thousand dollar car. Its totally up to you though, but its worth a try...call lexus customer service if you have to.
Old 08-26-06, 07:07 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by nighthawk
I remember someone on this board and their tranny went out on their IS after like 2000 miles also, they complained, and Lexus replaced the entire car because of such low mileage. The concerns raised by some of the other members are valid, it will never be the same. I would attempt to get Lexus to replace the whole care. A transmission should not go out on a 40+ thousand dollar car. Its totally up to you though, but its worth a try...call lexus customer service if you have to.
going to be a pain to get him a totally new car that matches the options before, much more convenient for both sides just to replace the whole tranny. I dont think he wants to be out of a car for 3-4 months to get his exact config back in the lot
Old 08-26-06, 07:11 AM
bgarre
Driver

Originally Posted by ff_
We own an ES330, and I actually prefer driving it (over the IS) because the handling is so much more predictable. It doesn't handle better, just more predictably. Our IS is literally all over the highway, drifting to and fro, with odd sensations and excessive numbness. The ES stays a steady course, and will let you know when you're pushing it too hard.

I can't believe I just said that...
What tires are you riding and have you done any mods to the car? I have the factory Dunlops and I have no such issues with the car tracking or wandering.
Old 08-26-06, 09:17 AM
lechuck4lf
Rookie

Nighthawk what would I even say to attempt to get a new car? I feel that this would be a very long long shot but I would be willing to try. However, arn't they already beginning to build the 07's and that even if they were going to replace my car they would have to replace it with an 07, cause that would be something to try for. Anyone have any good suggestions to try to get a new car out of this... very long shot but hey what the hell.

Also to you have a link to that forum where they guy got a new car??

Last edited by lechuck4lf; 08-26-06 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Tranny gone already