Bought a Volvo S60R Instead!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-06, 08:41 PM
brravvo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love volvo.
im not kidding.
before the lexo i had a 1996 volvo 850 (the beast)
i was going to get a volvo S60R as well, but i disliked the interior and the price.
I heard the company EVOLVE is making the new volvo's look real nice.
i saw the XC90 at the auto show!
anyway congrats!
Old 08-25-06, 09:15 PM
gonbad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brravvo
i love volvo.
im not kidding.
before the lexo i had a 1996 volvo 850 (the beast)
i was going to get a volvo S60R as well, but i disliked the interior and the price.
I heard the company EVOLVE is making the new volvo's look real nice.
i saw the XC90 at the auto show!
anyway congrats!
EVOLVE does make some nice stuff for the car. They are supported by the factory that is why their products work so well. I already have my eye on a few goodies.

I like the Nordkap interior. The car I am getting is silver so the dark blue/black looks nice. The seats are real comfortable. More room for the rear passengers. I didn't like the Atacama (??) interior it is freaky lookin orange, not my taste. The kind of lapis blue watch face dials in the dash are going to take some getting used to.

The big thing I am looking forward too is 260+ft lbs of torque from just off idle to 5900 rpm and AWD.
Old 08-25-06, 09:29 PM
paeko73
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nate579
Nice Ride, 60R are nice and rare, great reliability from volvo even thought they are owned by ford. Never heard complaints about a Volvo product. S60R was on my short list. Trust me you won't bump into too many of those in your local shopping mart.
Huh? "great reliability"? Did you check Consumer's Report?
Old 08-25-06, 09:40 PM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on the purchase. I'm a fan of the S60R. If you're interested, you can easily get more power out of it if you get a reflashed ECU. BSR has a module that they send you, and you hook it up and you can flash it yourself. This way, when you take the car in for service, you can flash it back to factory settings and no one will ever know.

Reliability, however, for Volvos is like any european car pretty much... less than stellar. I'm always having problems with electic components... although they are no where near as problematic as mercedes benzes.

If you drive around with your daughter a lot, you made a great choice for safety though.

Check out www.swedespeed.com. There is volvospeed.com as well, but thats more slanted towards 850's.
Old 08-25-06, 09:59 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default You got a great car!

Originally Posted by gonbad
The real kicker was the more room in the back for my 1 year old daughter. It was going to be real cramped back there with a child seat in the IS350. Still got 300 HP and the fun of a manual transmission and AWD.
Too bad that the IS couldn't accommodate your needs. I've always told people that as much as I love the IS, it is not functional for a lot of people.

The Volvo is definately more functional (and a manual tranny adds to the fun factor). In a sense, that makes it better for you. Don't listen to anyone who says it isn't better: they'll know what you feel when they need to get a child car seat in the back!

Good luck and enjoy the car. Stay with CL for future information when you get your wife's new car...
Old 08-25-06, 10:41 PM
Realfresh
Rookie

yeah, i don't know if you guys have ever taken a look at these, but they are SICK.

http://www.evolvecars.com/gallery/vi...umName=album27

http://www.evolvecars.com/site/

If I had known the S60R were going THAT cheap, i might've considered it instead of my 06 TL 6spd
Old 08-25-06, 11:06 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Congrats man!! Im not even mad at your decision. Its an underrated car. Doesnt get the respect it deserves because its a VOLVO. I used to work for Volvo back in the day too and I must say that the R's are NICE!!

So basically you got everything you really wanted at a much cheaper price than you can get an IS350, hell an IS250.

Enjoy in good health.

Post some pics when you can.

By the way dont give in to much to that 260lb-tq off idle stuff. You really dont feel it till around 2500-3000rpm despite what they say about next to no turbo lag etc etc.
Old 08-26-06, 10:02 AM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

10K saved for your 2008 lexus
Old 08-26-06, 03:13 PM
brravvo
Driver

i remember ahile back caranddriver did a comparison and out of 8..the S60R came in 7th...
They had legit reasons..
mainly the price they slapped on the car.
im pretty sure you can find the artice on their website.
Old 08-26-06, 03:21 PM
cdeslandes
Pole Position

The S60R is a nice car, slighly more fun to drive than the IS350, especially with the manual tranny. I drove them back to back. I loved the electronically adjustable suspension in the S60R.
I ended up buying the Lexus because it is more comfortable for my (injured) back, and was way less expensive once fully loaded. And the Lexus dealership was more attentive to my needs. But the S60R really impressed me.
Old 08-27-06, 05:13 AM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Realfresh
yeah, i don't know if you guys have ever taken a look at these, but they are SICK.

http://www.evolvecars.com/gallery/vi...umName=album27

http://www.evolvecars.com/site/

If I had known the S60R were going THAT cheap, i might've considered it instead of my 06 TL 6spd
See that's what I am talking about. Factory backed performance upgrades. Wish Lexus had it. Man look at the offerings on the site. Look like a potential to extract a less than 5 sec 0-60 time a maybe a sub 13 second 1/4. And watch as stunned drivers realize that this isn't your ordinary Volvo.
Can u imagine the look on someone face when they lost to a Volvo. Sweeet.

Hell I might go out a test drive one, been awhile since I driven a stick. Again, good luck on your purchase.
Old 08-27-06, 08:36 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nate579
See that's what I am talking about. Factory backed performance upgrades. Wish Lexus had it. Man look at the offerings on the site. Look like a potential to extract a less than 5 sec 0-60 time a maybe a sub 13 second 1/4. And watch as stunned drivers realize that this isn't your ordinary Volvo.
Can u imagine the look on someone face when they lost to a Volvo. Sweeet.

Hell I might go out a test drive one, been awhile since I driven a stick. Again, good luck on your purchase.
yeah too bad that car is sorta ugly and volvo isn't even in the same class as lexus. otherwise
Old 08-27-06, 08:58 AM
mort
Lead Lap

Nice care. My sister has one and enjoys it but is always telling me she wished her Volvo was as sexy looking as my IS350
Old 08-27-06, 12:47 PM
nate579
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kensteele
yeah too bad that car is sorta ugly and volvo isn't even in the same class as lexus. otherwise
Yea, I love my lexus too.
Old 08-27-06, 01:11 PM
StockIS350
Rookie

great deal on the volvo
2 different type of cars,
volvo: bigger, older technology, not as nimble, I like roominess, electronic adjustable shocks, don't like engine & styling

lexus: compact, faster, brakes better, looks better,
less room is the only downfall

Quick Reply: Bought a Volvo S60R Instead!!!