IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Bought a Volvo S60R Instead!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 01:50 PM
CoasterG
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The EVOLVE upgrades are really impressive, and that they are factory approved make it even better.

It'd be great if Lexus took the same approach and offered factory approved performance and appearance upgrades. Yes, I know thats not their normal mode of operation or niche but I'm sure there are enough Lexus owners who would buy these types of items.
Old 08-27-06, 01:59 PM
Frisco
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nate579
Hmmm? Interesting, theres more than a few people at my job they have late model volvos and they swear by the car. I rarely hear complaints about them as much as I have heard about MB or BMW, even Saab is having more issues than volvos. 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and 118ft 60-0 are good numbers and he paid a little over 30k. Hell I would've taking that deal. I added it to my sleeper list along with Subaru GT. Cars that don't look fast that can give you the smack down. Well the S60R do look fast, i love the look unique and non comformist.
You had the same cars picked that were on my short list also. The Volvo had nice seats and lots of room. The Subaru Legacy would have been nice but seems still a little behind on refinement. The IS though is the one that won me over with decent power and luxury.
Old 08-27-06, 05:40 PM
Tmirk
Pole Position

I'm actually thinking fo going to a V70R in place of the IS.

When I bought this IS we hadn't planned on trying for kids for another 10-12 months, which would of put us having a kid sometime in 08. Of course..... 3 weeks later, and bang.... little one due in February.

So I need something a bit more family oriented for whenever she gets stuck with my car (she as a tahoe), or we need better economy on a longer tirp. It really isn't so much interior room, although if she wanted to sit in the back with the kdi it would be tight..... It's really the combination of rear seat space, trunk space, and trunk height.

Anyway... great deal on the "R".
Old 08-27-06, 05:45 PM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Wink

Volvo's are pretty cool! The R is awesome, I actually contemplated getting one myself. I used to drive a '94 Volvo 850 which my family still owns and is not gonna get rid of it bc the thing is a TANK. Over 140k miles on it, and no rust, no major problems, car runs like new. And back in '94 the car was a []D[][]V[][]D ride.

-Bounce
Old 08-27-06, 08:07 PM
stangd1909
Lead Lap

Congrats man....I almost got one too, but got the IS 350 instead. They are awesome cars. You need to post some pics up!!
Old 08-27-06, 08:14 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice looking car.
Old 08-31-06, 08:45 AM
gonbad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chuckb
nice looking car.
Mine looks just like it except in Electric Silver it also has the same Sport Aero package. The first thing I am doing with it once I get it down to Houston from Kansas City is tint the windows.

I now have an all silver garage: 06 S60R; 04 Acura MDX; 98 Vette
Old 08-31-06, 09:35 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Post pics of your car! Interior and exterior shots.

My dad has a 1998 Volvo S something. Forget. It has 210,000 miles on it. Straight 6 Cyl, RWD. Its a beast and and great reliability.

The new Volvos are less reliable.

The new Volvos arent as good anymore because.

Ford bought them out.
They stopped making RWD platforms instead making only FWD (CRAP) and AWD. They should of kept the RWD and optional AWD.

The older Volvos are much much more reliable then the new ones.
Old 09-01-06, 03:13 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by genearch
Quit pooping in the OP's cheerios. He was able to purchase the Volvo for the price he wanted, with the transmission he wanted, the additional room he needed in the rear for his daughter.

I agree, it seems if he was just sharing since he'd asked questions and inquired in the past. And honestly going from 60 to 30k would make me reconsider things as well.

Enjoy the car and warranties at the least soften the blow of any potential issues!
Old 09-01-06, 03:42 PM
rooster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by javyLSU
Thanks for posting... I guess. Have fun with your Ford, I mean Volvo. Maybe this was better off being posted in "Club Volvo."

Javier
hehe very funny, the same can be said with toyota/lexus : )
Old 09-01-06, 04:01 PM
y2ks2k
CL Folding Freak

more room for the 1 year old daughter??? I dont get that logic, my 4 and 6 year old fit perfectly. Adults fix fine to.
Old 09-01-06, 05:47 PM
gonbad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
I agree, it seems if he was just sharing since he'd asked questions and inquired in the past. And honestly going from 60 to 30k would make me reconsider things as well.

Enjoy the car and warranties at the least soften the blow of any potential issues!
Thanks!

I really think the styling of the Lexus is better. Yes paying at least $10K less and getting all the things I needed plus a pretty sporty look with the Aero kit made me reconsider things. A Volvo was about the last thing I thought I would ever own. Really though the car is a blast to drive.

Last edited by gonbad; 09-01-06 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Clarify
Old 09-01-06, 05:54 PM
gonbad
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by y2ks2k
more room for the 1 year old daughter??? I dont get that logic, my 4 and 6 year old fit perfectly. Adults fix fine to.
Thats great for you but my daughter is still in a car seat. With the seat in the car and her in it the passenger in the front seat has to move the seat forward to the point there knees are in the dash. Secondly I am 6'2" and no adult of average size can sit behind me comfortably. Plus the seat doesn't sit level because of the shape of the IS's seats.
Old 09-01-06, 06:24 PM
gonbad
Driver School Candidate

Default Dial-up Suicide

It would be cool if Lexus did something like this. This guy did the Overseas Delivery option on his black S60R and took a few laps around the "Ring" in Germany.

http://ss.otheron.com/rkelly/video/swede1.mov

click save as! It is a big file so dial up is death. 36mb high quality video
Old 09-03-06, 11:10 PM
gonbad
Driver School Candidate

Well I am really glad I just bought a new car regardless of what it is. My current daily driver is a 94 Civic with 175K miles on it. It was my wife's car previous to her MDX. It died tonight stranding us with our 1 year old daughter in the middle of a busy intersection. Luckily we were within walking distance from the house. Walked home and got the MDX and towed the darn Civic back to the house. The kind of funny karma thing about it was the wife and I were talking about that it had been a good car and reliable just a few minutes before it croaked. She jinxed us. I was PO'd big time. Don't know whats wrong but it chaps my *** to have spend money to fix it the week before I am taking it to Carmax.

I am picking up the new S60R next weekend so now I guess I will just have to drive the Vette this week. I am so unfortunate.

Anyways thanks for the kind words from most of you. I love these forums as they are rich sources of information for us enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: Bought a Volvo S60R Instead!!!