IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: what should I do about the leather?
don't worry, it's normal
42.42%
take it back! that's messed up!
51.52%
other, (please specify in a post)
6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

More leather troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 01:01 PM
mort
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not clear, is it just wrinkled and stretched or is there something hard from under the seat pushing through?
Old 08-27-06, 01:05 PM
Zephyr
Lexus Test Driver

Mine does that action too, but it goes away after a night. Mine has some stretch marks but goes away easily when I put some conditioner on them. So far I have 11800 miles and the seats are fine!
Old 08-27-06, 05:56 PM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mort
Not clear, is it just wrinkled and stretched or is there something hard from under the seat pushing through?
nothing hard underneath it, but it is slightly raised up. no wrinkles either.

Originally Posted by Zephyr
Mine does that action too, but it goes away after a night. Mine has some stretch marks but goes away easily when I put some conditioner on them. So far I have 11800 miles and the seats are fine!
mine does not go away. I feel that the seats should not have needed any conditioner at 2000 miles (when i noticed this). ...although i do believe in proper leather care every 6 months.

Originally Posted by dominant1
Its a fart bubble, the high heat gas from your butt has caused the leather to react. I suggest Riapan plus or gas x to solve the problem.
how dare you accuse me of letting one (or two) loose in my car!! ..but could it be true?

Greg
Old 08-27-06, 11:24 PM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dominant1
Its a fart bubble, the high heat gas from your butt has caused the leather to react. I suggest Riapan plus or gas x to solve the problem.
Are you serious? Anyhow, your post made me LMAO
Old 08-28-06, 12:51 AM
brentweiss
Rookie

Originally Posted by glilly
as I said earlier, if ANYONE has anything similar to this at 2500 miles, i'd feel much better knowing it was a normal wear issue (presumably due to the soft perforated leather). But until someone can post a pic to confirm this, I just can't believe Lexus would let thier leather disfigure. This is only 2500 miles, I'd hate to imagine what it will look like at 25k miles.

Greg
i found a pic very similular to yours except its on a ls430

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_po...1&photoIndex=2
Old 08-28-06, 03:47 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

take it back. you dont have to call lexus corporate to take care of it. i noticed wearing on my driver's seat and my dealer has agreed to replace it. im scheduled to have it replaced this week, so ill let you guys know how it goes.
Old 08-28-06, 05:01 AM
vlkcheng
Driver School Candidate

That just show the seat are poorly designed and poor choice of material. I mean this sort of things would not happen to a BMW, MB or and Audi. Lexus had pick the leather and cushion simply too soft for daily use. It's a shame, really. It looks great and feels great initially but it doesn't last. My last car has momo leather and after 60,000km, it never showed any wrinkle and I've only used leather conditioner once a year and my car parked outdoors daily.
Old 08-28-06, 05:43 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

We have 2500 miles on ours, and the leather still looks brand new.
Old 08-28-06, 06:59 AM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

I have 4700 miles on mine and the leather still looks beautiful. Granted that I'm only 100 pounds but never had any problems with Lexus leather. My former Mercedes had a crack on the leather seat after a few years of use.
Old 08-28-06, 07:40 AM
kramo
Rookie

Don't have the perforated leather BUT I have the EXACT SAME on my drivers seat. Happened about a month or so after I got it. Funny though, the passenger seat is perfect, and it has been used as much as the drivers side.

It doesn't feel like a wrinkle -- more like the under-lying foam or plastic has wrinkled or folded and caused the leather to raise. If it were the leather that wrinkled, it would feel soft when you push down on the "bubble" with your finger -- but it feel as if something undermeath it is pushing it up.

I too, went to the dealer and they said it was normal, but the salesman's car (also an IS) had PERFECT seats, and its atleast 6-8 months older than mine!
Old 08-28-06, 09:42 AM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by brentweiss
i found a pic very similular to yours except its on a ls430

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/img_po...1&photoIndex=2
that car is also 4 years old!!! C'mon people, am I one of the only few with this defect?

Originally Posted by kramo
Don't have the perforated leather BUT I have the EXACT SAME on my drivers seat. Happened about a month or so after I got it. Funny though, the passenger seat is perfect, and it has been used as much as the drivers side.

It doesn't feel like a wrinkle -- more like the under-lying foam or plastic has wrinkled or folded and caused the leather to raise. If it were the leather that wrinkled, it would feel soft when you push down on the "bubble" with your finger -- but it feel as if something undermeath it is pushing it up.

I too, went to the dealer and they said it was normal, but the salesman's car (also an IS) had PERFECT seats, and its atleast 6-8 months older than mine!
FINALLY! someone esle has the same problem! ....just called my serrvice advisor and left a message. Let him know about this thread, and I was expecting a solution or i'd be calling corporate for resolution.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Greg
Old 08-28-06, 10:51 AM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have the problem, Greg, but it definitely isn't normal and you definitely should get it replaced IMO.

Look at it this way (and you can toss this to the dealer): If you are leasing your car and you bring it back at the end of the lease, they're gonna look at that seat and say "not normal wear and tear" and charge you for it. So even if you're NOT leasing, the same principle applies.

Seats are not supposed to go weird like that, and they owe you another one.
Old 08-28-06, 02:28 PM
glilly
Pole Position

My service advisor said no my requests for fixing my problematic leather, so it's corporate I need to talk to. Anyone have a contact or a direct number to customer service off hand?

Thx,
Greg

Update, ...found number, left info, should hear back in 2 or 3 days.

Last edited by glilly; 08-28-06 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-28-06, 06:00 PM
imaputz
Lexus Test Driver

3500 miles.. and my leather doesnt look anythign like that =X..

hope u get it work out greg
Old 08-28-06, 06:48 PM
BigChief17
Driver School Candidate

The seat's appearance will continue to bother you until you know you took every possible avenue to get it changed. It doesn't matter what we think or how our seats appear. Though the average person's seat on this forum does not appear like yours, it may be normal for leather, in which imperfections/heterogeneity are intrinsic qualities.

Good luck with getting it replaced.

Quick Reply: More leather troubles...