IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: what should I do about the leather?
don't worry, it's normal
42.42%
take it back! that's messed up!
51.52%
other, (please specify in a post)
6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

More leather troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06, 02:48 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is nothing wrong with your leather, just think of it as a memory foam seat. Which is special option only found in one IS350, YOUR IS350. j/k That would definitely annoy the hell out of me, have to look at that every day before starting the car. Definitely take it back to the dealer, it looks like a defect in the manufacturing process. the leather should be taut because it is perforated.
Old 09-02-06, 02:52 PM
ptmIS350
Rookie

Something is causing that protrusion. Mine has 10,000 miles on it and I have nothing like that. Call corporate...thats nuts!
Old 09-03-06, 12:07 AM
bartkat
Driver School Candidate

I agree that Lexus needs to fix it. I've never seen a seat look like that. Mine has almost a year and 5500 miles and the seats are all still like new.
Old 01-24-07, 04:11 PM
glilly
Pole Position

UPDATE:

I finally got into Sterling McCall Lexus for my the 10k service and to have the seat looked at again. They willingly agreed the leather was flawed and rather than mess with pulling it apart and trying to replace the distorted area, they have ordered a new seat. So, it took a while, but Lexus customer service finally pulled through. yay!

Greg
Old 01-24-07, 05:00 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by glilly
UPDATE:

I finally got into Sterling McCall Lexus for my the 10k service and to have the seat looked at again. They willingly agreed the leather was flawed and rather than mess with pulling it apart and trying to replace the distorted area, they have ordered a new seat. So, it took a while, but Lexus customer service finally pulled through. yay!

Greg
That's good, maybe. When replacing something like a leather seat there is always the chance that it will not correctly match the other seat (color and texture) since your car is not brand new and aging and fading has occurred on the passenger seat. And no two cows are alike. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 01-24-07, 05:15 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

normal wear its a toyota issue.
Old 01-24-07, 07:54 PM
ISbb
Lexus Test Driver

I think I have a rare case of the leather problems... my steeling wheel has some crinkly on the left. I never have anything like this before... I am thinking to show the dealer when I do my 10k service and ask if they could anything about it...
Old 01-26-07, 06:47 AM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
That's good, maybe. When replacing something like a leather seat there is always the chance that it will not correctly match the other seat (color and texture) since your car is not brand new and aging and fading has occurred on the passenger seat. And no two cows are alike. Hope it all works out for you.
I seriously doubt i'l have any fading on a car w/ 8k that is garaged at home and office. I understand no 2 cows are alike, but c'mon, you don't think the leather is treated, dyed, etc. to look all the same?

Originally Posted by AM1
normal wear its a toyota issue.
This was not normal wear,and why they replaced it.

This was a rare defect, ...I have never seen anything like it in any other car of any brand. I told the dealer, if he could find a similar defect in a seat in a new or similar car, i'd live with it. ....I have a new seat coming.

Greg
Old 01-26-07, 08:08 AM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Here's an experience with the leather in my car as well:

I took the car in to McGrath Lexus in Westmont, IL, needed to have the seat looked at, wanted to replace the all season mats (the drivers side mat had a crack in it, after only 3 months) and had to have my windshield replaced (rock flew up and cracked it.. )

I had the same exact problem, where it looked as if some type of piping on the side of the seat slipped under the leather causing a lot of wear, for a 5 month old car.

I received the car back, windshield was great...

HOWEVER

Leather seat looked like total crap (like they replaced it with a 3 year old seat), the dealer cracked my illuminated plate, which they said they were going to replace, and then they also gave me a half dollar sized door ding on the passenger door!!!!

Basically, I went ape **** on the dealer and made them correct all of this.

In exchange I got a RX400h as a loaner, and didnt have to pay anything for the time that it took them to correct this (in terms of gas usage).

I got the car back, new drivers seat, car detailed and dent fixed. Looks great, like new.

Bottom line, if you complain enough and receive crappy service, Lexus will fix it for you. I think 4 people called and apologized that day too, it was funny. Every other call I received was the dealer....
Old 01-26-07, 08:15 AM
tcho82
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'm having some sort of similar issue happen on my IS. It doesn't really bother me too much, but if it gets worse then I may consider this. I wouldn't mind a new seat either...

But for those of you with seats with 10K+ miles of use, you don't see any of this kind of wearing?
Old 01-26-07, 09:07 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,960 Likes on 2,399 Posts

17k+ and seats still look brand new.
Old 01-26-07, 12:32 PM
lil' IS300
Rookie

Default Mine are doing the same thing

I have 5600 miles and my seats have the same weird wave thing on them. Mine are more towards the back of the seat though.
This is a bad pic but you can see the slight ripple..
Attached Thumbnails More leather troubles...-img_2542.jpg  
Old 01-26-07, 03:36 PM
kqt2ktval
Driver

Originally Posted by lil' IS300
I have 5600 miles and my seats have the same weird wave thing on them. Mine are more towards the back of the seat though.
This is a bad pic but you can see the slight ripple..
I have roughly 2000 miles on my car and my seats looks like yours towards the back, but with a few more wrinkles. I thought it was just normal wear for the leather, now I may have to look into it. It also didn't help since I weigh 195 lbs. Do you think that is also a defect. I'm so **** about not making it worst, I take my wallet out of my back pocket everytime I drive.
Old 01-26-07, 03:54 PM
lil' IS300
Rookie

Originally Posted by kqt2ktval
I have roughly 2000 miles on my car and my seats looks like yours towards the back, but with a few more wrinkles. I thought it was just normal wear for the leather, now I may have to look into it. It also didn't help since I weigh 195 lbs. Do you think that is also a defect. I'm so **** about not making it worst, I take my wallet out of my back pocket everytime I drive.
I only weigh around 135 lbs. so there is no excuse for having these ugly ripples on my seat. When I bring my car in to get its 5k check-up ill have them look into it. BTW am I suppose to have my oil changed by now?
Old 01-27-07, 09:53 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lil' IS300
I only weigh around 135 lbs. so there is no excuse for having these ugly ripples on my seat. When I bring my car in to get its 5k check-up ill have them look into it. BTW am I suppose to have my oil changed by now?
Keep us posted.

Regarding oil, follow your manual, but the first free service at 5k is the first recommended oil change.

Quick Reply: More leather troubles...