IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models
View Poll Results: what should I do about the leather?
don't worry, it's normal
42.42%
take it back! that's messed up!
51.52%
other, (please specify in a post)
6.06%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

More leather troubles...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06 | 08:23 AM
glilly
Pole Position

Default More leather troubles...

I know, it's been covered before, i've read the previous threads, and the descriptions and pictures resemble nothing like what i'm experiencing.

My gripe is the protrusion-like distortion inthe seat bottom. As i've posted in one of the other threads, I took the car to the dealer, their staff looked at it and concluded it was normal wear. I disagree, unless any of you are having similar effects, mine is definately not normal. The dealer had no other cars with perforated leather to compare this to. I don't know if it has anything to do with seat heaters or ventilation, or just what they said "normal wear". however, i'ved owned many cars with leather seats, and have never seen any kind of seat bottom distortion as this.

Please post your thoughts in my poll, as i'm not sure if i should go back to the dealer (or find another) and complain some more. BTW - my car has 2500 miles, ....my wifes Pilot has 7500 miles and her seats look new.

Thanks for your input and participation.

Greg

Pics:

Passenger seat for comparison

Last edited by glilly; 08-27-06 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 08-27-06 | 08:26 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

call lexus corporate. all that matters is you are dissatisfied and they should replace it.
Old 08-27-06 | 08:32 AM
SerKevin
Pole Position

I hate to say this (because I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from) BUT it does look like normal wear...

HOWEVER, as KenSteele said, it doesn't matter what I think or feel, if you are unhappy with it, definately contact Lexus corporate. That is one of the perks of owning a Luxury car, the way the company ends up treating you.

BTW, good luck with everything
Old 08-27-06 | 08:50 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Normal wear. Do you think changing the leather will make any dfference...no!
Old 08-27-06 | 08:53 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Is that only a problem for cars with Perforated/heated/vented seats?

My non-perforated seats didnt have problems like that, when I sodl it
Old 08-27-06 | 09:12 AM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Normal wear. Do you think changing the leather will make any dfference...no!

as I said earlier, if ANYONE has anything similar to this at 2500 miles, i'd feel much better knowing it was a normal wear issue (presumably due to the soft perforated leather). But until someone can post a pic to confirm this, I just can't believe Lexus would let thier leather disfigure. This is only 2500 miles, I'd hate to imagine what it will look like at 25k miles.

Greg
Old 08-27-06 | 09:25 AM
bgarre
Driver

How long is your warranty for on the interior?
If it gets worse then Lexus will have to recognize the problem and fix it.
Have you tried any of the leather cleaner/conditioner products?

It almost looks like leg imprints.... do you have thin legs?
Old 08-27-06 | 09:29 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

I think most of the the problems are caused by people overusing "leather care" products, causing the leather to stretch. Generally you only need to use the product on the seats you DON'T sit in. The seat you sit in will remain supple from use. You only need to use conditioner to keep the leater from drying on lesser used seating surfaces.

Too often you see people over apply cremes, etc. that saturate the leather, then they sit on it, and it stretches. Gee, I wonder why.
Old 08-27-06 | 09:32 AM
Tony1
Lead Lap

Leather wrinkes very easliy, my drivers seat looks a bit worn too, but yours looks different, yours looks like a weird V shaped wrinke, plus it looks like it's
protruding, which is weird.. Have you sat sideways on that seat for any long period of time, or were you leaning on it with your knee? Maybe there's a way you can safely "press" a leather seat, any suggestions anyone?
Old 08-27-06 | 09:35 AM
glilly
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tony1
Leather wrinkes very easliy, my drivers seat looks a bit worn too, but yours looks different, yours looks like a weird V shaped wrinke, plus it looks like it's
protruding, which is weird.. Have you sat sideways on that seat for any long period of time, or were you leaning on it with your knee? Maybe there's a way you can safely "press" a leather seat, any suggestions anyone?
finally, someone can see what i'm seeing. I've never used any care products yet (as the car is only a few months old). As far as I can recollect, I have not put my knee in it nor sat sideways.

Greg
Old 08-27-06 | 10:03 AM
tgara
Pole Position

GLilly, the perforated black leather seats in our car (6500 miles) do not have that impression.

I don't feel any metal or other structures in the seat where your impression is located. Also, the parabolic indentation does not appear to be exactly centered on your seat. Is that correct? If it is, I think there is a greater chance that this is not a result of an automotive defect but instead simply a natural condition of the leather. It may be that that portion of the cowhide was a spot (e.g., Holstein) or some other thinner area on the hide, and that your sitting in the seat and foam pressing from the other side made this area stand out.
Old 08-27-06 | 10:31 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

oh i'm sorry i thought you had a piece of metal or something that protuded up....if that's just a wrinkle....sorry...normal you got some wierd part of the cow.
Old 08-27-06 | 10:44 AM
dclive
Driver School Candidate

Agreed - I don't see the issue.

Leather's from a dead animal - it's not machine-made. There will be differences in how it reacts to things (like people sitting on it), and that's part of (what *I* would call) the natural beauty of it.

Looking at the pics, yeah, there's some change and some odd look to it - it looks like the driver's heavy and putting a lot of weight on a certain portion of the seat (please don't answer or take that personally - I'm just saying how it looks to me...), and that, frankly, looks totally normal.

Leather isn't like plastic - it isn't uniform, it has different stress points, and it will crack and bunch and bend in places, especially where people touch it. That doesn't detract from its' beauty or, IMHO, value.

Different leathers from different cows (and from different processing plants and different car brands) will behave differently. Either way, I don't see the big deal.

Sorry I'm not more sympathetic on the new baby. It's still a gorgeous car you have.
Old 08-27-06 | 11:50 AM
bobjackson
Driver School Candidate

in his pic #5...

to me anyway, looks like some sort of protrusion; not necessarily a wrinkle??? as if the under-filling or something from under the leather has shifted or wrinkled to cause the "wave" in the seat?

Old 08-27-06 | 12:59 PM
glilly
Pole Position

the "protrusion" is exactly whet i'm talking about. I've never had (or seen it) in any other leather seats. I can perfectly understand wrinkles, even a bit of sheen due to normal wear. The v-shape does indicate it could be caused from how I sit (175 lbs, btw). My left leg lays a bit to the left as i rest my foot on the dead pedal and the right leg is obviously positioined more straight for gas and brake. So, yes the area is a bit off center.

The responses you all have given do make some sense, ...maybe I got a "bad cow", ...so shouldn't I be able to get another if it is in fact a rarity (or defect)? I hate to be a stickler for these minor details, but on a $44k car, I expect only perfection (or near to it). And as some of you have stated you do not have this kind of "wear" in your perforated seats.

All in all, i'm still at a loss as to what to do. I want so much as to just live with it, but I just can't understand it. ...I just got back from the Houston DUB show and paid close attention to the seats in many of the cars, ...none had such wear which leads me back to the initial feelings of "this is NOT normal"

Greg

Quick Reply: More leather troubles...