IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Anyone know the cost to replace a bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 11:22 AM
terp05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone know the cost to replace a bumper?

I was driving home from work on Friday and a semi blew one of its treads off somewhere ahead of me. I was in heavy traffic and couldn't swerve- just had to grimace and hold on tight. The lower left side of my bumper took the brunt of the blow and I ended up running over the whole thing. Never saw the semi nor saw one pulled over after I went on my way. Looks to be no damage to the under body but it did snap the honeycomb lower grill and bend the bottom plastic part (just the left side) pretty out of whack. Looks like the bottom part of the bumper where the honeycomb grill connects is bent out of shape. I'm thinking probably a whole new bumper is in order. Anyone get a quoted price on it? I'm probably taking it in today after work for an estimate but thought I'd share the story. Bummer.
Old 08-28-06, 11:41 AM
ff_
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exact same thing happened to our ES a few days after buying it last spring. With all the debris on FL highways, chances are pretty good that it could happen again, so I'm going to leave the bumper as-is for now. It's not really noticeable unless you're down on the ground looking at it.
Old 08-28-06, 11:46 AM
menech
Lead Lap

please let us know the cost of the bumper and if it comes pre-painted...I could use a replacement bumper but it's not noticable so might not replace if the cost is high.
Old 08-28-06, 12:00 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terp05
I was driving home from work on Friday and a semi blew one of its treads off somewhere ahead of me. I was in heavy traffic and couldn't swerve- just had to grimace and hold on tight. The lower left side of my bumper took the brunt of the blow and I ended up running over the whole thing. Never saw the semi nor saw one pulled over after I went on my way. Looks to be no damage to the under body but it did snap the honeycomb lower grill and bend the bottom plastic part (just the left side) pretty out of whack. Looks like the bottom part of the bumper where the honeycomb grill connects is bent out of shape. I'm thinking probably a whole new bumper is in order. Anyone get a quoted price on it? I'm probably taking it in today after work for an estimate but thought I'd share the story. Bummer.
I'd have the car checked-out at the dealer "just in case". The same thing happened to me several years ago and the tread cut my fuel line, tore a hole through the floor, and, as my mechanic said at the time, made the underside of my car look like someone had taken a can opener to it. I am sorry this happened to you. Definitely bad luck. By the way, the "comprehensive coverage" on my insurance paid for the damage that was caused.
Old 08-28-06, 02:39 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

it will cost somewhere around $600 with paint and install.......(dont ask me how i know )
Old 08-28-06, 03:45 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

the front bumper costs... $264.29 unpainted. Very reasonable. Remember to ask for w/ PCS and park assist etc

The lower valances cost 117.66 each and come painted.

These are the prices off some sheets that I won on ebay. I think they are full retail price. So you might be able to get a disc at some places

Last edited by tqlla3k; 08-28-06 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-30-06, 08:39 PM
terp05
Driver

Ended up coming to 780 to replace the bumper, lower spoiler, lower grill, paint, labor, etc. It was covered under my comprehensive plan so no surcharges/premium increases, which is nice. Here's a pic of some of the damage. You can see how the lower spoiler/valence is pulled down and warped, and the bottom part of the bumper is dented/warped . It's tough to see where the grill is broken but it's basically like someone took a knife to it about 8 inches long.

Definitely going to clear bra the bumper at least now that I'm getting a new one scratch/chip free. I've been looking around in the MD area and was referred to Front Guard, but I feel the quote was a bit high. I'm looking for the $600 range for bumper, fenders and hood coverage. Any suggestions? I'll be calling some places I found off of xpel.com tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone know the cost to replace a bumper?-img_0343wb.jpg  
Old 08-31-06, 05:22 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by terp05
Ended up coming to 780 to replace the bumper, lower spoiler, lower grill, paint, labor, etc. It was covered under my comprehensive plan so no surcharges/premium increases, which is nice. Here's a pic of some of the damage. You can see how the lower spoiler/valence is pulled down and warped, and the bottom part of the bumper is dented/warped . It's tough to see where the grill is broken but it's basically like someone took a knife to it about 8 inches long.

Definitely going to clear bra the bumper at least now that I'm getting a new one scratch/chip free. I've been looking around in the MD area and was referred to Front Guard, but I feel the quote was a bit high. I'm looking for the $600 range for bumper, fenders and hood coverage. Any suggestions? I'll be calling some places I found off of xpel.com tomorrow.
My lower lip is scratched and actually cracked too. So can i just order and replace the lower part seperately from the bumper? My bumber looks fine, it's just the lower part below the black mesh part that is scratched to hell and cracked.
Old 08-31-06, 05:24 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
the front bumper costs... $264.29 unpainted. Very reasonable. Remember to ask for w/ PCS and park assist etc

The lower valances cost 117.66 each and come painted.

These are the prices off some sheets that I won on ebay. I think they are full retail price. So you might be able to get a disc at some places
What exactly is the lower valance? Is that the part that usually hits curbs? If so that is exactly what I need to order and 117.66 sounds reasonable.
Old 08-31-06, 06:00 AM
terp05
Driver

Yeah thats what I'm referring to- the piece that is bent down and out of whack in my picture. I don't have the estimate with me but I'm pretty sure it was written up as a 'lower under spoiler' and cost about $118 as well.