IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

No Nav destination override on '07 IS

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-06, 11:30 AM
SLIDE1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ideally someone would just post a hack of the small *.ini or *.dat file that controls the operating system nanny restrictions.
Then I could copy all the info off my map dvd to hardrive make the modification and then reburn a new dvd for my use. This would be a much more elegant solution than wire cutters behind the dash.
Old 09-07-06, 12:11 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SLIDE1
Ideally someone would just post a hack of the small *.ini or *.dat file that controls the operating system nanny restrictions.
Then I could copy all the info off my map dvd to hardrive make the modification and then reburn a new dvd for my use. This would be a much more elegant solution than wire cutters behind the dash.
This will happen in the upcoming months... But still, some of us (me included) are not content with having to go into the service menu every time we turn our cars on. So, in that vain, the wire cutters behind the dash is the only way to do it regardless...
Old 09-07-06, 02:02 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Technique
This will happen in the upcoming months... But still, some of us (me included) are not content with having to go into the service menu every time we turn our cars on. So, in that vain, the wire cutters behind the dash is the only way to do it regardless...
Please do so... I have a 2007 IS250 and am eager to have the ability to input address and have access to blue tooth options while driving.
Old 09-08-06, 08:14 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by istundra
Please do so... I have a 2007 IS250 and am eager to have the ability to input address and have access to blue tooth options while driving.
This is the part I don’t understand. You CAN do those things while driving through the voice activation system. Yes, it may be a bit slower, but is that reason enough to break out the wire cutters?
Old 09-08-06, 09:31 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Magellan
This is the part I don’t understand. You CAN do those things while driving through the voice activation system. Yes, it may be a bit slower, but is that reason enough to break out the wire cutters?
For me yes... I want the option of using the voice OR touch-screen. I refuse to let someone else dictate what I can and cannot do. I bought the navi option, I should be able to use it as I wish, and I will...
Old 09-08-06, 10:25 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

For me yes... I want the option of using the voice OR touch-screen. I refuse to let someone else dictate what I can and cannot do. I bought the navi option, I should be able to use it as I wish, and I will...
Wow, you’re tough. Nobody is going to dictate to you. But before you start hacking away, there are some risks to consider. I’ve read a few posts on this forum describing nav-hack problems like the motion sensor not working whenever the GPS signal is lost, the climate control no longer functioning, scratches on the dash, mysterious wiring problems, or potential warranty loss.

I would never take such risks, but it’s your car not mine.
Old 09-08-06, 10:32 AM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Wow, you’re tough. Nobody is going to dictate to you. But before you start hacking away, there are some risks to consider. I’ve read a few posts on this forum describing nav-hack problems like the motion sensor not working whenever the GPS signal is lost, the climate control no longer functioning, scratches on the dash, mysterious wiring problems, or potential warranty loss.

I would never take such risks, but it’s your car not mine.
Ya, don't worry about me, I will be fine... I've been doing this kind of stuff for a while now...

Honestly, it's a VERY simple "hack". You simply bypass 2 wires, and ground a 3rd. Fairly trivial actually...

But, for someone who has never even been behind the dash of a vehicle before, yes, they could end up with all sorts of problems... But people like that should not be doing this themselves, they should take it to a professional, else suffer the consequences! lol...
Old 09-08-06, 12:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,983 Likes on 2,410 Posts

I've found voice recognition to be an oxymoron with my car. It fails to recognise more than it succeeds.
Old 09-08-06, 02:00 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've found voice recognition to be an oxymoron with my car. It fails to recognise more than it succeeds.
Well, mine works fine. I love to put in “dial by name” and then “home” to call my house. Works every time. I haven’t used inputting destinations via voice recognition as much but it does seem to work

At any rate, if yours doesn’t function too well, break out the wire cutters, and good luck.
Old 09-08-06, 03:00 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, mine works fine. I love to put in “dial by name” and then “home” to call my house. Works every time. I haven’t used inputting destinations via voice recognition as much but it does seem to work

At any rate, if yours doesn’t function too well, break out the wire cutters, and good luck.
After using 3 different OEM car systems and 3 aftermarket ones, I kinda have to agree that the IS's VR is a little inaccurate and ponderous. A touchscreen is always faster and easier.

And after doing the "wirecutters" hack on a $53,000 Infiniti M45, I agree it ain't rocket science.

BUT ... the wiring hack has a problem in terms of the system losing your position. It ain't just "jumpy nav" ... the system will actually lose you if you switch off the VSS circuit, and you'll have to stop to get it to catch up with your actual location.

And, Technique ... I've just re-read the entire nav hack thread, and mussman makes it clear the jumpy nav/position loss problem was NOT solved if you're trying to bypass the motion lockout for the nav ... only if you are hacking just the DVD player and BT.

My hacked Infiniti was so troublesome that I disconnected it after trying it on a road trip. It just sucked to have the nav show me in the wrong place.
Old 09-08-06, 03:08 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
After using 3 different OEM car systems and 3 aftermarket ones, I kinda have to agree that the IS's VR is a little inaccurate and ponderous. A touchscreen is always faster and easier.

And after doing the "wirecutters" hack on a $53,000 Infiniti M45, I agree it ain't rocket science.

BUT ... the wiring hack has a problem in terms of the system losing your position. It ain't just "jumpy nav" ... the system will actually lose you if you switch off the VSS circuit, and you'll have to stop to get it to catch up with your actual location.

And, Technique ... I've just re-read the entire nav hack thread, and mussman makes it clear the jumpy nav/position loss problem was NOT solved if you're trying to bypass the motion lockout for the nav ... only if you are hacking just the DVD player and BT.

My hacked Infiniti was so troublesome that I disconnected it after trying it on a road trip. It just sucked to have the nav show me in the wrong place.

OK, here's the way I'm going to do the nav hack:

1) Wire splice the dvd functions and BT and mp3 folder functions (This will NOT affect the VSS, and will NOT cause jumpy nav)
2) Split the VSS and add a SWITCH on the dash to enable and disable the VSS, whenever I want to enter a destination into the nav during motion, I flip the switch and instantly the VSS is disabled (Yes, the nav will be jumpy for the 30 or so seconds while I am entering the destination, but it's irrelevant when you are entering in the dest). After I finish, I flip the switch back, the VSS is re-connected, and the nav is no longer jumpy. This is the best solution I believe, even for people with the older version of the nav since you don't have to deal with the service menu.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about the splice + switch combo. Take a look earlier in the thread and you'll see links to BOTH "hacks". I plan to do both.
Old 09-08-06, 03:28 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, here's the way I'm going to do the nav hack:

1) Wire splice the dvd functions and BT and mp3 folder functions (This will NOT affect the VSS, and will NOT cause jumpy nav)
2) Split the VSS and add a SWITCH on the dash to enable and disable the VSS, whenever I want to enter a destination into the nav during motion, I flip the switch and instantly the VSS is disabled (Yes, the nav will be jumpy for the 30 or so seconds while I am entering the destination, but it's irrelevant when you are entering in the dest). After I finish, I flip the switch back, the VSS is re-connected, and the nav is no longer jumpy. This is the best solution I believe, even for people with the older version of the nav since you don't have to deal with the service menu.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about the splice + switch combo. Take a look earlier in the thread and you'll see links to BOTH "hacks". I plan to do both.

But see, that's exactly what I did with my Infiniti's nav - installed a switch on the VS circuit. And during the 30 seconds or so while the VSS is disabled, the nav freezes and freaks out. Then, when you flip the switch back it doesn't know what to do.

I'll retell a story I've already related: On a road trip, I pulled out onto I-80 in Wyoming and flipped the hack switch so I could enter a new destination. The interstate curved off the right while the hack was active, and when I turned it back to normal, the nav showed me as being about 4 miles off to the left of where I actually was. It continued to show this for 100 miles until I stopped for gas, and in the meantime it showed me sailing along through fields and lakes and right across roads and railroad tracks. Almost funny, but stupid, since none of the nav info was correct, including "nearby POI's".

Another time, it just kept repeating "Please proceed to the highlighted route" until I couldn't stand it anymore and stopped.

Believe me, disconnecting the VSS - even for a couple minutes - will F up your nav display. It may work occasionally, but most of the time it blows.

So try it if you want, and give us a report.
Old 09-08-06, 03:36 PM
Technique
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
But see, that's exactly what I did with my Infiniti's nav - installed a switch on the VS circuit. And during the 30 seconds or so while the VSS is disabled, the nav freezes and freaks out. Then, when you flip the switch back it doesn't know what to do.

I'll retell a story I've already related: On a road trip, I pulled out onto I-80 in Wyoming and flipped the hack switch so I could enter a new destination. The interstate curved off the right while the hack was active, and when I turned it back to normal, the nav showed me as being about 4 miles off to the left of where I actually was. It continued to show this for 100 miles until I stopped for gas, and in the meantime it showed me sailing along through fields and lakes and right across roads and railroad tracks. Almost funny, but stupid, since none of the nav info was correct, including "nearby POI's".

Another time, it just kept repeating "Please proceed to the highlighted route" until I couldn't stand it anymore and stopped.

Believe me, disconnecting the VSS - even for a couple minutes - will F up your nav display. It may work occasionally, but most of the time it blows.

So try it if you want, and give us a report.
OK. I get the car at the end of the year and will perform the nav hack the first or 2nd day I have the car, then I'm planning on taking a little road trip. I'll report back with pics and and update. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-08-06, 04:54 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me summarize the last 10+ pages of this thread:

- Buying a '06 IS250/350 w/Nav: apprx $40k
- Membership to CL Internet forum: Free (relatively)
- Having the Nav Override software 'hack': Priceless

Last edited by socalJD; 09-08-06 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-08-06, 05:58 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by socalJD
Let me summarize the last 10+ pages of this thread:

- Buying a '06 IS250/350 w/Nav: apprx $40k
- Membership to CL Internet forum: Free (relatively)
- Having the Nav Override software 'hack': Priceless
Well, that’s your summary not mine. In my view, these nav-hack threads on CL show that the nav hack is favored by those with a hidden agenda that is mostly a troublesome, difficult and risky process to achieve a goal you can have anyway through voice recognition, in a $40k car built by a manufacturer that was hoping you would leave well enough alone.

Quick Reply: No Nav destination override on '07 IS